Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Ask Tadge > Ask Tadge
Reload this Page >

[ASKED] Clear up the oil confusion regarding aftermarket DEXOS 2?

Notices
Ask Tadge Post your questions here for Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter and then discuss the questions and his answers.

[ASKED] Clear up the oil confusion regarding aftermarket DEXOS 2?

Old 01-06-2019, 11:34 AM
The HACK
CF Senior Member

Default [ASKED] Clear up the oil confusion regarding aftermarket DEXOS 2?

First, let me say that I visit a wide gamut of automotive forums, first as part of my jay-oh-bee but now more as a habit to keep on top of car trends, it is exceedingly rare for this kind of access to factory representation, so I say the Corvette ownerís and enthusiasts are blessed to have this resource.

Second, I understand if this topic is hotly contested and the right answer may not be politically correct with corporate. So Iíll take whatever official words you can offer.

This question isnít about the official recommendation for the Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2, but ALTERNATIVES to it as regards to GM Warranty and position for those of us that may choose to do our own oil change for a variety of reasons.

With DEXOS 2 oils widely available on the shelves, are there any harm in using non-Mobil 1 5W-30 weight, DEXOS 2 approved engine oil for street use? For mixed track and street use, can 5W-40 DEXOS 2 motor oil be used in place of Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP for any C7 Corvette, especially in warmer climates where operating temperature never dips below 40 degrees for a non ZR1?

Actually, the real question is, can non-Mobil 1 or AC Delco motor oil that meets the DEXOS 1 or 2 standard of the proper weight (and what IS the proper weight?) be used in place without voiding warranty on a C7 Corvette?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:28 AM
midnightbluS10
CF Member

I was under the impression that any oil that meets Dexos 2 requirements was ok to use. Is that not the case? What would be the point if having the Dexos 2 spec if that's not what they use to determine if an oil is suitable for the vehicles?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ASKED] Clear up the oil confusion regarding aftermarket DEXOS 2?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.