Notices
Ask Tadge Archived: Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter answers questions from the CorvetteForum community.

[ASKED] Clear up the oil confusion regarding aftermarket DEXOS 2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 10:34 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts
Default [ASKED] Clear up the oil confusion regarding aftermarket DEXOS 2?

First, let me say that I visit a wide gamut of automotive forums, first as part of my jay-oh-bee but now more as a habit to keep on top of car trends, it is exceedingly rare for this kind of access to factory representation, so I say the Corvette owner’s and enthusiasts are blessed to have this resource.

Second, I understand if this topic is hotly contested and the right answer may not be politically correct with corporate. So I’ll take whatever official words you can offer.

This question isn’t about the official recommendation for the Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Dexos 2, but ALTERNATIVES to it as regards to GM Warranty and position for those of us that may choose to do our own oil change for a variety of reasons.

With DEXOS 2 oils widely available on the shelves, are there any harm in using non-Mobil 1 5W-30 weight, DEXOS 2 approved engine oil for street use? For mixed track and street use, can 5W-40 DEXOS 2 motor oil be used in place of Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP for any C7 Corvette, especially in warmer climates where operating temperature never dips below 40 degrees for a non ZR1?

Actually, the real question is, can non-Mobil 1 or AC Delco motor oil that meets the DEXOS 1 or 2 standard of the proper weight (and what IS the proper weight?) be used in place without voiding warranty on a C7 Corvette?
Old 01-15-2019, 08:28 AM
midnightbluS10
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression that any oil that meets Dexos 2 requirements was ok to use. Is that not the case? What would be the point if having the Dexos 2 spec if that's not what they use to determine if an oil is suitable for the vehicles?
Old 02-25-2019, 05:26 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Because the 0w40 ESP Formula wasn't available up here last year (and still is only at a select few dealers today) I decided to use Mobil 1 5w30 ESP Formula instead. It's also dexos2 certified and it has very similar specifications to the 0w40 version, with just a slightly lower viscosity (12.1 cst at 100c compared to 12.9) IMO the 5w30 version might even be the better choice because of it having less viscosity index improvers in it. I am confident it would be warranty approved also.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:57 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

I track, so that's moot. I don't want to switch back and forth between 15W-50 and 5W-30. If a 5W-40 Dexos 2 oil works, I'd rather leave that in year round (I live in Southern California where the lowest it's ever gotten is 40ºF).
Old 02-25-2019, 09:17 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

You wouldn't have to switch back and forth if you ran ESP Formula 5w30, as it can handle the track just the same as ESP Formula 0w40 can, as both oils have an HTHS value of 3.5 or higher. To compare, the dexos1 Mobil 1 5w30 has an HTHS value of only 3.1, which is why it's not recommended for using at the track with elevated oil temperatures.

Get notified of new replies

To [ASKED] Clear up the oil confusion regarding aftermarket DEXOS 2?

Quick Reply: [ASKED] Clear up the oil confusion regarding aftermarket DEXOS 2?