Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sound deadener before and after results

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 06:39 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Sound deadener before and after results

I just got done installing RAAM matting sound insulation in the car and then went out for a drive. Here's info and a comparison on the stuff I used.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I can't believe what a huge improvement it is in the whole driving experience. The stock stereo sounds way, way better. I can still hear the motor and exhaust during high rpm driving, but it's from outside, not inside.

I did the trunk, rear panel, side panels, wheel wells, behind the seats, outside and inside door panels, and the interior door panels. It did take me a few hours. I also installed my Brey Krause bar and Simpson belts at the same time.

I highly recommend this mod. You will love your car even more!

Once I got the interior pieces, door panels, and seats out it went pretty fast. I hadn't taken any of the stuff out of the car before so it took me a while being careful not to break any tabs. I'm always a little nervous when it comes to the pry and pull work.

I laid a piece of plywood on the ground and used a T-square and box cutter. I did not exact fit the pieces, some I just cut 1"-2" strips, some I measured the area then cut larger sections. If you have someone to help it would go a lot faster. One person to stay at the car measuring and installing, and one person to cut and hand material.

Reinstalling everything was pretty easy, except for my screw ups. I had to remove the passenger door panel three times, first I forgot to install the plastic piece that covers the big hole, then when I tested the stereo I found I had forgotten to hook up the speakers in that door. Now I'm nearly an expert and can take off and install a door panel in about 2 minutes.

The stuff I read said that you don't have to completely cover the areas. The idea is to dampen the vibrations, just like putting your finger on anything that is vibrating. As I was installing the stuff I would test a covered area against a stock panel. I just tapped with my fingers. The stock panels sounded like a high pitch drum, the treated panels just thud.

Now that it's done I had to re-adjust the stereo, the treble is turned down and the bass is turned up. It sounds like a new upgraded stereo. Also my side mirrors don't vibrate as much.

Before I installed the sound deadener my buddy and I took readings with his sound meter under different driving conditions. Not super scientific, just trying to see how much difference there is.

Here are my sound test results before and after the sound insulation. The tests were performed a few days apart with the windows up, on the same roads/freeway. My buddy held his sound meter in front of him at about chest level. The before numbers are for my stock car with a partition installed. The after numbers are with sound insulation and partition.

Before / After

Parked at idle: 85-86 db / 83 db

30 mph in 4th gear 92 db / 87 db

80 mph in 4th gear 103 db / 97 db

80 mph in 6th gear 101-102 db / 96 db

Full throttle accel 2nd/3rd gear 104 db / 104 db

This number came out wierd, but here it is;

60 mph at idle in neutral 87 db / 92 db

I attribute this reverse result to going the other way on the freeway on rain grooved concrete vs smooth pavement. This is also a good indication of how loud the car is from tire noise on the rain grooved concrete, as if any Z06 driver didn't already know it's a lot louder on concrete.

Not only does the stereo sound way better, now I can actually hear faint wind noise from outside the car at freeway speed. You can see that under acceleration it's pretty much the same, the exhaust sound dominates from the back.

Let me just say that 5 db's is a lot. My buddy noticed the obvious difference in the car as soon as he got in. My wife likes it a lot better too. And if you knew my wife you'd know that keeping her happy means my life is much more pleasant. When she's happy it allows me more freedom with the dollars for future mods.

For people concerned about the weight, I estimate 20-24 lbs is the maximum weight added, based on how much my buddy used before he gave me the roll. I also installed the euro headlights last night – which added 3 more pounds compared to stock plastic lights. I don't know how much the Brey Krause bar and Simpson belts weighed, but they're also in there now.

Dog
Old 12-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Thats good to hear. I will be installing this kit http://www.exoticvette.com/Exotic%2.../insulation.htm in the next couple of weeks and hope to have comparable results.

Nice write-up,

Darion

Old 12-21-2005, 02:46 AM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Nice study.
I agree that 5 DB is a significant improvement.
I used Dynamat Extreme and B-Quiet VComp in my 2004 CE Coupe, and I got between 3-5 DB reduction.
Very noticeable improvement, though I was "disappointed" in the numerical value only dropping 3-5 DB. Some people had talked about 10-20 DB drops in sound...but I think they are BS.

Get notified of new replies

To Sound deadener before and after results

Quick Reply: Sound deadener before and after results