Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Got a stock74 Roadster w/original working Am/Fm.....I want a nice system

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2001, 04:41 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Got a stock74 Roadster w/original working Am/Fm.....I want a nice system

What would u recommend short of taking out the original unit?? :bigears
Old 08-09-2001, 02:14 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Default Re: Got a stock74 Roadster w/original working Am/Fm.....I want a nice system (Alwyn678)

ttt
Old 08-09-2001, 03:37 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Got a stock74 Roadster w/original working Am/Fm.....I want a nice system (Alwyn678)

What are you looking to spend?
Why don't you want to replace the stock unit. Do you want to keep it stock for shows, etc?
What are you looking to get out of the upgrade?
92TripleBlack
Old 08-09-2001, 04:01 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to upgrade the system, here is a link that has sterios that fit the stock slot but have modern features. http://www.absoluteclassics.com/
You could replace the head unit with one of these and still preserve the look of the original. If you use a wire harness, you won't have to cut anything, not even a ground wire. Then you could hook the system up to other pieces to get better sound. In the C3 vettes they used a 6x9 speaker in the rear but the only one that fit right was a clarion shallow mount because the mounting depth was so shallow. You could put other types there but you would have to build out the mount with spacers for a proper fit. An install we did that might make more sense for you was take a kicker box that was full range(woofs and mids and tweets in one unit), bolt an amp to the box, wire the amp with quick disconnects, and mount the box with a tie down system. We did this in the back of a '75? convertable and it sounded great. The owner could also easily remove the unit if they needed to carry something and play the sterio on the front speakers only while it was removed. Given that you have a convertable like I do, if you want good sound, you'll have to sacrifice some space to get it. You could buy the parts for a system with a head unit, box, amp, front speakers, and wires for under $850 and get good sound. Hope this helps
92TripleBlack

Get notified of new replies

To Got a stock74 Roadster w/original working Am/Fm.....I want a nice system

Quick Reply: Got a stock74 Roadster w/original working Am/Fm.....I want a nice system