Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Head Unit and Amps - Should I still use the Bose door subs in the front?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2001, 01:01 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default New Head Unit and Amps - Should I still use the Bose door subs in the front?

I'm wondering how the Bose door subs would sound with a 200 watt/channel amp. Anybody ever do this?
Old 08-20-2001, 01:39 PM
C5SilverBullet
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 4, 5 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Default Re: New Head Unit and Amps - Should I still use the Bose door subs in the front? (webdzynes)

I took mine in to have a new system put in mine an they told me hooking up the Bose system to an external amp was a major task. You have to buy all kinds of adapters and/or re-wire the whole car.

Just my .02
Old 08-20-2001, 09:10 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: New Head Unit and Amps - Should I still use the Bose door subs in the front? (C5SilverBullet)

If you mean that you want to bypass the door sub amps and drive the subs directly with a 200 watt amp, I would say no. The Bose subwoofers cannot handle this much power without fusing.
Old 08-20-2001, 09:21 PM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: New Head Unit and Amps - Should I still use the Bose door subs in the front? (99HT)

Moving to audio section.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:56 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New Head Unit and Amps - Should I still use the Bose door subs in the front? (ShanMan14)

YOu could do it but for the money you spend on all the extra wiring and converters and excising the whine demons, you would be much better off just getting aftermarket items. Like their home products, the bose system is weak at best and the components are of poor quality for the money they charge. They also have made they system very difficult to modify to use with aftermarket items. This seems almost like a conscious effort so they can sell higher end bose systems to unsuspecting people instead of people buying the basic system and adding on to it like you can with other manufacturers. When I worked at the sterio shop as an installer, I saw the factory cost of replacement drivers for the late 80s vettes. Chevy charged $1,500 for the top of the line bose system that used speakers with a $4 cost to produce and the head unit and amps could be bested at that time for under $400 total. Buying the system from them was like buying popcorn at the movies with a supermarket next door.
92TripleBlack
Old 08-23-2001, 01:19 PM
Speed-Racer
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New Head Unit and Amps - Should I still use the Bose door subs in the front? (92TripleBlack)

Replace the speakers in the door and you're good to go.

Speed-Racer

Get notified of new replies

To New Head Unit and Amps - Should I still use the Bose door subs in the front?

Quick Reply: New Head Unit and Amps - Should I still use the Bose door subs in the front?