Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Want to add on a CD changer to my Bose Cassette on a '94

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 09:43 AM
TimC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 3-4-6-8-9 Veteran

Default Want to add on a CD changer to my Bose Cassette on a '94

Just bought the Vette a couple of months ago. I have the stock Bose Gold Cassette Deck now and it sounds okay. Can someone recommend a decent 5 or 6-CD changer that'll work? Also, how much can I expect to pay for installation? I'd like to install it myself, but after reading the horror stories, I'll probably leave it to the pros. Looking to spend under $700.00.

I installed a Kenwood CD changer about 5 years ago on my '87 Firebird. It worked great, but eventually stopped changing CD's...I'm assuming the newer models are improved. Haven't really been keeping up with what's good nowadays, so thought I'd solicit some advice from you experts.

I'll upgrade the speakers and unit next year most likely, but need a CD player now :D.

Also, any pics on the CD changer in a C4 would be great if I decide to tackle the installation myself. I hate to pay for the install, but am hesitant right now.

Thanx.

Old 08-24-2001, 09:54 AM
TimC
Burning Brakes

CI 3-4-6-8-9 Veteran

Default Re: Want to add on a CD changer to my Bose Cassette on a '94 (TimC)

Addendum: The install on the Firebird was on an aftermarket Pioneer unit that was CD-ready and not the factory unit. .

:cheers:

[Modified by TimC, 7:54 AM 8/24/2001]
Old 08-24-2001, 10:30 AM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are going to have to buy an FM output changer. They are not that expensive. Installation is easy. You only have to hook up power, ground and the antenna coupler to the car. You biggest choice will be if you want a wired or no-wire remote. You must be sure that a wireless remote will be practical in your car. Most wireless remotes are infrared, and require a sensor to be mounted to the dash. The remote is very easy to lose or damage.
Old 08-24-2001, 11:16 AM
TimC
Burning Brakes

CI 3-4-6-8-9 Veteran

Default Re: Want to add on a CD changer to my Bose Cassette on a '94 (99HT)

I'll probably just go with the wire for now, since I plan on upgrading the unit in the next year and will have the controls for it then. I now remember the output changer on the Kenwood CD changer that I didn't have to use because the head unit already had the CD controls on it....unlike the Bose Cassette.

Old 08-24-2001, 12:27 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get an trunk mounted 12 disk changer with a commander unit and FM plug. These units plug into your FM antenna. You tune the radio to 87.9 or something and the CD plays on the radio. Problem is that a sterio is only as good as its weakest link(bose). You would have to put the box in the back, run power, ground, igntion and antenna wires, and a wire to a commander control. This is a unit about the size of a tv remote with all the cd controls and is linked to the cd player via a wire. It is extremely easy to wire and most units like sony cost under $500 for everything. You can then upgrade later and plug the unit minus the commander into a new deck when you are ready to upgrade.
92TripleBlack

Get notified of new replies

To Want to add on a CD changer to my Bose Cassette on a '94

Quick Reply: Want to add on a CD changer to my Bose Cassette on a '94