Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Want to add a self amplified sub to stock Bose system, any links for help with install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 12:30 AM
6SPEEDY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to add a self amplified sub to stock Bose system, any links for help with install?

I want to add a bazooka tube type self amplified sub to the stock bose system. I specifically need help with getting the signal for the sub and proper power supply wiring. The install guys at circuit city said to tap into the speaker wires. Is this a good way to get the signal to the sub? How do i wire the sub to turn on and off with the head unit. If anyone can help me with this I'd really appreciate it. I did the ac/delco CD changer install without any problems.
Dave
Old 09-01-2001, 01:24 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Help with Sub info.

Yup, you can tap into the rear speakers for the signal to the Sub. amp. That's what Tweeter did on mine. Installed a seperate Mono amp for power to the sub. Many amps have "auto turn on" when it detects a signal, such as when you turn your head unit on. That's the way I have mine. :D
Old 09-01-2001, 02:28 AM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help with Sub info. (Tx99FRC)

You must tap into the pre-amp outputs on the back of the HU. The four Bose Twiddler speakers are fed 1khz and above, so tapping the rear speakers will give you very attenuated bass. Read my post on the Bose system to get the info or search for sub woofer add ons.
Old 09-01-2001, 10:22 AM
6SPEEDY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help with Sub info. (99HT)

Where do I tap in for power to the sub?
Dave
Old 09-01-2001, 02:30 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Default Re: Want to add a self amplified sub to stock Bose system,

Hi everyone,

I too would like to add an Amplifed Bazooka just like Speedy. Cost is somewhere under $300. I believe.

In my Vert, a 6.5 inch amplified Bazooka fits right behind the drivers seat and the top closes with no interference and the waterfall is also clear from potential damage.

99HT has offered some great advise, but I am a novice and just do not understand the lingo and the directions he is offering to install this self amplified Bazooka. For example, I do not know what a drain wire is.

All the local Circuit Citys and the like installers do not know how the Bose C5 system works...uh, I seem to know more than them and this scares me into letting them handle the install.

So, Speedy here are my thoughts. Lets hope a co-member (maybe even HT99) can let us know if we can attempt this as a home garage install.

1 - Remove door panels and connect stereo speaker wires to the big Bose speaker wires. So we will now have four wires comming of this speaker that is if the speaker connects like the type of regular speaker I am thinking of.
(You know, a positive clip and a negative clip that are on the metal cone of the speaker).
2 - Run the left and right side wires to the rear compartment (under the plastic sills) and attach to the Bazooka.
3 - Run a ground wire to the Bazooka. Perhaps attaching to the metal right undernieght the rear carpet directly vertical and behind the driver's seat.
4 - Run a power supply. How about the antennia power line in the rear passenger corner. I think it is orange in color. Slice into it and attach to the Bazooka.

Will this work? Does sometype of "ohm" connector/ adjustor/ cross over need to go inline from the Bazooka to the Front Bose speaker wires that were run to the back? If so what brand and model?

Any advise is welcome. Over the months I just can not understand the process to wire this thing in, or if it an Amplified Bazooka will even work. I haven't really seen this topic in any how twos. I would like to think it may be a bang for the buck Bose upgrade to us C5ers.

I do know HT is right when he writes that attaching to the rear speakers will not sound correctly (I tried it with the amplified Bazooka) and also had a problem with the Bakooka remaining on (as an example of my novice home garage electronic skills).

Thank you very much for any insights.

Kenny
Old 09-01-2001, 05:57 PM
99HT
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Want to add a self amplified sub to stock Bose system, (Kenny94945)

Kenny94945

You do not want to do the install the way you stated. You really want to tap the pre-amp output on the back of the HU to feed the Bazooka. You can use the HU chassis to pick up the signal return to the Bazooka if you cannot figure it out.

The C5 system uses many different "grounds" in the system to try and keep noise from getting into the audio. Some "gounds" are for power and others are for signal. The drain, ground, case ground and common wires are not connected together. They are unique signals. You must connect to the proper ground or return wires or you will cause noise to be introduced into the system.

You do not want to tap the power antenna 12 volts to feed the Bazooka. It is not rated to carry this kind of current.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to add a self amplified sub to stock Bose system, any links for help with install?

Quick Reply: Want to add a self amplified sub to stock Bose system, any links for help with install?