Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Help - Speaker Upgrade for 06 RDS Stereo NOT BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:13 PM
adrnln1
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Help - Speaker Upgrade for 06 RDS Stereo NOT BOSE

For those of us with the RDS Stereo (Not Bose) who want to upgrade our speakers, what are our options?

Anyone done this? I ordered the CNC Mounts just in case (for $50). But am not sure what to go with. The plates have a 1.8" hole for the tweeters and 6.5" hole to replace the sub.

If I just want to replace the rear and mids and leave the subs what has anyone done?

If I want to change everything, do I need to add an amp for the subs in the doors like the bose people?

Audiophile Help Please
Old 08-30-2006, 02:46 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Thanks for ordering the plates!

You're probably reading my rambling PM as I type this....

I don't have experience with the base system. Does anybody know what driver they stick in the door trim panel? Is it a tweet or a mid-posing-as-high-range like the Bose?

Also, is that 8" speaker in the door panel a "sub"? Is it only being fed high frequencies?

Anybody?
Old 08-30-2006, 03:09 PM
stinky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search would be nice go here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...peaker+upgrade and here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...peaker+upgrade
Old 08-30-2006, 03:14 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by stinky

Both Bose systems and we're looking for info on non-Bose. But thanks so much for your input.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:34 PM
adrnln1
Burning Brakes

Dan, I read your info and was about to reply the same to this post. All the info on the forum seem to be members with the NAV or Bose setup. I haven't found any info on the RDS.

As soon as I (we) can confirm, if appropriate I will be going with the Focal's you suggested.

Thanks for all your efforts. I placed this under General too hoping to get a better response.

Ed
Old 08-30-2006, 03:53 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

My big concern there is the crossover network in that amp. There are a couple of possibilities in play.

1 ) The amp is sending highs to the trim panel and lows to the door as a normal 2-way component system. If that's the case then just a component swap would work out and you live with the stock crossovers.

2 ) The amp is treating the 8" in the door as a "sub" and sending only very low frequencies to it and sending the rest to the trim panel speakers that are acting as something of a full range. If this is the case then you would tap into those wires and feed them to the crossover included with new speakers.

If #2 there is the case then you are probably better off mounting a 3.5" coaxial speaker in the trim panel and just leave that 8.

Anybody in the greater Philly area that has the base RDS system that would be willing to let me take a peak at it?
Old 08-31-2006, 12:48 AM
0Audio Dave
Former Vendor

Location: Murfreesboro, TN. "I'm like a kid in a candy store everytime I see a Corvette!!"

I worked on a 1SA setup in an 06 Vette last week... The highs are not tweeters, but a mid wanting to play highs like the Bose. The sub is the same shape, and plays low end... the amp is under the passenger floor board, and the factory crossovers are ok sounding, but I much prefer the settings of the new crossovers of a new component setup. I would run the wires off of the old 3.5" twiddler to the input of your new crossover, or run new wires into the door, and then run your component set that way... much better sound than the factory crossover settings...
Old 08-31-2006, 08:00 AM
adrnln1
Burning Brakes

Dave,

Thanks for the advice on the 1SA upgrade on speakers... can you give me a little more detail on if I want to connect the new crossovers to the existing wiring or running new wires?

I am tool savy, but when it comes to wiring I need some input (no punn intended).

Any information you could provide would be great. I have pretty much decided on going with the Focal 165V1s that Dan recommended, but want to ensure I only go into the doors one time.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:06 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by NCR Dave
I worked on a 1SA setup in an 06 Vette last week... The highs are not tweeters, but a mid wanting to play highs like the Bose. The sub is the same shape, and plays low end... the amp is under the passenger floor board, and the factory crossovers are ok sounding, but I much prefer the settings of the new crossovers of a new component setup. I would run the wires off of the old 3.5" twiddler to the input of your new crossover, or run new wires into the door, and then run your component set that way... much better sound than the factory crossover settings...

Thanks Dave, I suspected that might be the case but it's definitely better to know for sure!

Ed if you don't want to get into alot of work, running new wires, etc then I think the best bet is to leave the 8" subs in the door openings and put 3.5" coaxials in the trim panel and perhaps a matching coaxial in the dash. At least you would get real highs that way.

Another way to go would be to get the 2 way component, feed the crossover from the new speakers with the stock 3.5" line and forego the sub signal. I don't know where the stock crossover point is so that could very well leave you with way too little bottom end.

One last possibility... get a 3 way component set. Feed the 6.5" from the stock sub line, mount it and the tweeter into the big plate you got from me(a hole saw will get you the hole you'd need for the tweet) and the midrange in the trim panel. Feed the crossover with the stock 3.5" driver line and run the wires to the tweet & mid from there. This solution might work out best, but it's quite a bit more money. The Focal 165V3E is the 3 way version of the 2 way I had given you a link to.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=1167

Hard to tell you how to go here, just going to depend on your goal and how much you're willing to spend!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:14 AM
adrnln1
Burning Brakes

Dan, I am not as concerned with the money (ok a little), but just want to ensure that I do the change one time.

The stock head unit seems to provide adequate power, but I was thinking that changing from the stock speakers to something better made would give me cleaner sound.

As of this post, I am a bit confused on which way to go and the outcome of each. Currently there is plenty of sub sound so I don't really want to lose that, but the mids and highs are weak.

If a 3 way and a tweeter in the CNC large plate will work with the mid in the front, I am more then willing to go that route, but since I am in strange waters, I just need some indication that I won't be creating a new problem.

Is the amp a concern for the new setup? What should the crossover points be set at assuming I go with the 3-way set up you suggested?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really appreciate you and Dave working on this with me!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:41 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by adrnln1
Dan, I am not as concerned with the money (ok a little), but just want to ensure that I do the change one time.

The stock head unit seems to provide adequate power, but I was thinking that changing from the stock speakers to something better made would give me cleaner sound.

As of this post, I am a bit confused on which way to go and the outcome of each. Currently there is plenty of sub sound so I don't really want to lose that, but the mids and highs are weak.

If a 3 way and a tweeter in the CNC large plate will work with the mid in the front, I am more then willing to go that route, but since I am in strange waters, I just need some indication that I won't be creating a new problem.

Is the amp a concern for the new setup? What should the crossover points be set at assuming I go with the 3-way set up you suggested?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really appreciate you and Dave working on this with me!
The questions are no problem Ed. I'm trying to answer them as best I can, but I'm dealing with a big knowledge gap and Dave's help is definitely appreciated.

If you take that 8" stock driver out and replace it with a 6.5" you're going to lose some bottom end no matter what you do. Quality of driver aside, size matters and 6.5" drivers can only produce frequencies so low.

It sounds like what you want is to clean up the mids & highs of the front soundstage without redoing the system completely. Towards that goal I think your best bet is to leave the 8" driver and put 3.5" coaxials in the door trim panels and perhaps buy a 2nd pair of 3.5" coaxials and replace the dash driver as well.

As to which coaxial 3.5" speakers.. I have recommend the 2 ohm Infinity Kappa 32.7's for the Bose systems because it's generally assumed that the Bose drivers are 2 ohm. I don't know about this other amp so a 4 ohm driver might be a safer bet and most speakers are 4 ohm. After that, if there's a brand you like the sound of then buy that, as I said previously, speakers are the most subjective component of a system so it's what you like!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 AM
adrnln1
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dan!! First I will find out what ohm the speakers are and try the 3.5" coaxial change. Which means I don't necessarily need the plates currently, but have a feeling that they will be needed eventually so there is no loss there.

I appreciate all of your efforts and will let you know what I come up with.

Thanks to Dave too for his added insight!!
Old 08-31-2006, 10:56 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Good luck and make sure you post the results, every little bit helps build the forum C6 knowledge base!
Old 08-31-2006, 06:43 PM
rmp
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

For those of us with the RDS Stereo (Not Bose) who want to upgrade our speakers, what are our options?

Anyone done this? I ordered the CNC Mounts just in case (for $50). But am not sure what to go with. The plates have a 1.8" hole for the tweeters and 6.5" hole to replace the sub.

If I just want to replace the rear and mids and leave the subs what has anyone done?

If I want to change everything, do I need to add an amp for the subs in the doors like the bose people?

Audiophile Help Please
I'm going to get my done next week; My shop recommends:

JL CleanSweep CL441dsp (with direct IPOD input)
An Eclipse 4 channel amp
Focal Access 165A1 front door speakers with crossover
Focal Access 130CA1 coax speaker for the rear

Their preliminary estimate for this install is about $1500 in the C6 coupe
with the base radio package. This is their most minimal upgrade recommendation. Of course they want to do a lot more! Let me know what you find out.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:49 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by rmp
I'm going to get my done next week; My shop recommends:

JL CleanSweep CL441dsp (with direct IPOD input)
An Eclipse 4 channel amp
Focal Access 165A1 front door speakers with crossover
Focal Access 130CA1 coax speaker for the rear

Their preliminary estimate for this install is about $1500 in the C6 coupe
with the base radio package. This is their most minimal upgrade recommendation. Of course they want to do a lot more! Let me know what you find out.
Changing out the amp and using a Cleansweep solves many, many ills. Also far more expensive and complicated than what a lot of folks are looking to do. I suspect it will be what most folks that tackle the project end up doing - it's what I did.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:39 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Cleansweep is not necessary and you could go with an amp that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. I would post your goals and what you would like to spend and I think we could help you out
Old 08-31-2006, 11:11 PM
0Audio Dave
Former Vendor

Location: Murfreesboro, TN. "I'm like a kid in a candy store everytime I see a Corvette!!"

You are more than welcome!!

Here is what I suggest to all my customers at my car audio shop I own... try one thing at a time, doing what you know will sound better, and then see how it works for you for a few days, and then if you still want more, then we can go from there. In your case, here is what I recommend (and certainly, not to keep you from buying the cool CNC machined plates from Dan):
1.) replace the stock mids with some 3.5" or 4" coaxial speakers. Most companies make the coaxs, so go with a company you know, or go with the one that sounds the best. Go by your local stereo shop for a comparative listen to several different brands, as this will help you make your decision. The base system should utilize the 4 ohm speakers, but even if they use the 2 ohm speakers, using 4 ohm speakers will draw half the power from the factory amp instead of the full power, but on the flip side, you will have alot clearer signal from the aftermarket speakers, and not so much of the crappy distortion that the OEM speakers have.
2.) The rear speakers in a 1SA package utilize a stereo signal instead of the mono signal from the BOSE package. By replacing the speakers in the rear, you are also adding to the fuller sound you are looking for. Try this, in addition to the new front speakers.
3.) I would suggest asking Gerald (CF member Gabel1) by looking up his name in the search function of the forum, and emailing him about what he personally thinks about the change of the speakers in his 2006 Vette. He replaced the front mids, left the factory subs, and replaced the rear speakers all himself before he had me add an Eclipse 6600 Navigation system to his Vette last Saturday. He should be able to give you detailed advice from a Corvette owners experience of the 1SA base setup, and replacing them one bit at a time... I am also sure he will tell you that he is now addicted to the changes in his Vette, and wants to do more...

At any rate, from Dan's advice, my advice, and Gerald's (Gabel1), you should be able to make a better informed decision now, and be able to get that perfect sound that you are looking for. And when you are ready to change out your factory subs, Dan will be able to make you some custom plates you can be proud of for your C6!!

Hope this helps!!

Get notified of new replies

To Help - Speaker Upgrade for 06 RDS Stereo NOT BOSE

Old 09-01-2006, 07:38 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

2.) The rear speakers in a 1SA package utilize a stereo signal instead of the mono signal from the BOSE package. By replacing the speakers in the rear, you are also adding to the fuller sound you are looking for. Try this, in addition to the new front speakers.
Ahhh.. Dave that is great to know. I tiptoed around that one and avoided talking about the rear fill because I figured it was the same mono nonsense on the 1LT/1SA setup as the Bose. Thanks!

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
Cleansweep is not necessary and you could go with an amp that doesnt cost an arm and a leg. I would post your goals and what you would like to spend and I think we could help you out
This seems to be a question I need to re-address and test. When we did an RTA of the NAV head there was a PRONOUNCED roll-off from about 120Hz and as gain increased so did the roll-off. Classic "Loudness" curve.

For this reason I purchased a Cleansweep. I did use a PAC OEM GM24 to simplify getting the RCA outs and while it has potentiometers to adjust the gain it seems unlikely it would have equalization built-in as well. But unlikely doesn't mean it's not there, so we're going to have to tap directly into the wires and re-run the RTA without the PAC.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:29 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-02-2006, 04:47 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....replaced the front mids, left the factory subs, and replaced the rear speakers....
1SA system here as well. Thinking about a quick speaker swap, as noted above. Sent a PM to Gerald to ask him to post.

Just to make sure I have this right:

4 ohm
3.5" front (in the door), with no adapter?
5.25 or 6.5 rear, with no adapter (what size is it)?

Assuming my service manual will detail how to remove the trim pieces.

Quick Reply: Help - Speaker Upgrade for 06 RDS Stereo NOT BOSE