Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Recommendations needed for wiring amp

Old 09-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Teddydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Recommendations needed for wiring amp

I have made my initial Bose-ectomy decisions and all the parts should arrive this week. I hope to tackle the surgery this weekend (or at least start it). I'm not concerned about the physical install (after reading this board, the FAQ and my FSM), but have some questions about the setup and interconnections.

HU: Kenwood X590
Amp: ED nine.4
Front speakers: JBL GT 521 5 1/4" coax (temp...had them around)
Rear speakers: Rockford Fosgate P1 8" subs (temp for proof of concept)

My main question is about connecting up the amp. It is a four-channel amp with adjustable crossovers. My HU has Front, Rear and Sub pre-outs.

Clearly the Front pre-out goes to the front channel of the amp to run the fronts in stereo on A & B.

How should I connect the rears? Do I just wire them up as if they were regualr full-range rears, using the Rear pre-out and wiring them individually on C & D and just set the crossover appropriately?

Or should I use the Sub pre-out to hook up the amp? If so, still wire them separately using C & D, or bridge C/D and wire them as if they were one speaker (series or parallel)?

My next question will be about setting the crossover freqs.
The JBLs are rated 60Hz - 20kHz and the P1 are rated 40Hz - 250 Hz.

Thanks.

rob
Old 09-21-2006, 08:51 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

C4 right?

I would use the front preouts for the fronts as stated and then the Sub Pre-outs for the rears.. this is how mine currently is and the sub out is a full range signal but non-fading on my deck (NAK CD400). (there is also a level adjustment on the deck if needed)

What Impedance are the rears? are they dual voice coil? this will help determine what will or won't work on the Amp.

Use the Crossovers on the amp and adjust accordingly, I am currently using F-mods on my set-up ( I have two 2channel amps) and cannot adjust the frequency.

the crossover setting might but user preference but I would say start the 8s at 80hz same with the fronts. then adjust around from there.

SO:
A/B High pass 80Hz fronts
C/D Low pass 80Hz 8s

8s wiring TBD as for the impedance and # of voice coils.
BUT if you have 2 4 ohm SVC woofers, try them in a Series config on the amp bridged and then individual on each channel, see which way sound better to YOU.. there are some many different ways to wire them

Ironically I am looking to replace my 2 amps as they are old and I want more power.. I thought of the NINE.4 but I am going to end up running two amps again.. Definitely eD, just not 100% sure which ones yet
Old 09-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Teddydog
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The subs are single voice coil (each) 4 ohm.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:49 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

try them in a Series config on the amp bridged and then individual on each channel, see which way sound better to YOU.. there are some many different ways to wire them

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations needed for wiring amp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendations needed for wiring amp