Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AVIC-D3 in 2LT base radio 07 C6, adapters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Hooked4Life
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Default AVIC-D3 in 2LT base radio 07 C6, adapters?

Avic is on the shelf, vette gets built in a few days, soon they will meet. I browsed the faq's and could not find anyone who put an avic into a base. My questions are:
1. is their a simple harness that will plug into the car so I do not need to cut any factory harnesses?
2. what do I need to keep the chimes working on the 07? will it need its own speaker?
3. Do I use the pre-amp outs from the avic to the amp in leads?
thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2007, 11:03 PM
97C5
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe Peripheral GMCO answers all your questions.

1. yes, GMCO
2. GMCO handles the chimes
3. Plug pre-amp outs from AVIC into RCA inputs on GMCO
Old 05-10-2007, 11:58 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Check out http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1680943.

I put an AVIC-D3 in my 2006 2LT with base non-bose stereo. I pulled the stock amp and ran wires from the AVIC amp directly to the speakers at the connector to the stock amp. The AVIC amp can be set to run in a four speaker fader/balance configuration or a subwoofer/stereo set up. I chose the subwoofer/stereo set up and put the two door subs on the subwoofer (back) channel and wired the door tweeter in parallel with the rear on each left/right channel. Works good with no popping. Considerably more work to do this though.

I also pulled the instrument cluster to get to the VSS wire as the stock radio harness doesn't have this wire. Make sure you connect the power antenna lead as the Vette has an amplified antenna. The reverse wire is available at the BCM and I did the AVIC bypass so the parking brake wire is always grounded so you don't need to find the Vette's parking brake wire.

I don't know if the GMCO has an illumination wire -- I used a PAC unit but the illumination wire didn't work so I used the parking lamp indicator also in the instrument cluster. This isn't the best signal to use -- if I were to do this again I would try to use the signal to the orange light behind the passenger's sunvisor. The difference is that the Vette has a light sensor on the dash that is used to change interior lighting independent of whether you are burning headlamps or parking lamps.

Since I pulled the stock amp, I also pulled the center dash speaker and put the GPS antenna there so it is hidden under the speaker grille. It gets great reception there.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:28 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Good advice above.. but let me add, if you have OnStar you need to use a different adapter than the GMCO. According to their chart, you'd need the GMAH24 and also the GMAHCM.

You can find the application chart here, look it up as a 2005 Corvette, the '07 uses the same stuff.

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...DATABUS2-2.pdf
Old 05-11-2007, 09:00 PM
scf
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVIC-D3 Pains

You did a wise thing, as the AVIC-D3 and the stock amp don't work well together. If you tried to use the stock amp, one of two things would have happened: you would either have a loud pop on power down along with limited volume OR you would have nice volume but white noise in-between button pushes.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:12 AM
jinkikim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Check out http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1680943.

Make sure you connect the power antenna lead as the Vette has an amplified antenna.
Now I'm installing D3 on my C6 and there is an antenna booster power control terminal from D3 as you mentioned. Can you please tell what terminal on C6 should be connected to the antenna power control terminal from D3?

Thanks,.. Jin-Ki
Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jinkikim
Now I'm installing D3 on my C6 and there is an antenna booster power control terminal from D3 as you mentioned. Can you please tell what terminal on C6 should be connected to the antenna power control terminal from D3?

Thanks,.. Jin-Ki

The PAC AAI-GM24 chime module I used had a blue wire labeled as "Antenna" and the D3's blue wire needs to be connected to this to power the Vette antenna electronics. I would look in the instructions for whatever module you are using to get the chimes & RAP to see if they have a lead for the antenna like the PAC AAI-GM24.

If not, the wire these modules connect to is called "Antenna Enable" on pin B3 on the 24-pin radio connector C1. At this connector, the "Antenna Enable" wire is white according to the shop manual.

Get notified of new replies

To AVIC-D3 in 2LT base radio 07 C6, adapters?

Quick Reply: AVIC-D3 in 2LT base radio 07 C6, adapters?