Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

[C6] How To make the Line Level/RCA Adapter Harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

bumping the oldy...sorry all. But good info here. I'm looking to install audio in my ZO6 because there's no way it should sound that pathetic. Are the rear speakers 5 1/4? or 6.5? They look to be 5.25...and does anyone have some updated pics of completed installs?

Last edited by Pb82 Ronin; 03-27-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:22 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
bumping the oldy...sorry all. But good info here. I'm looking to install audio in my ZO6 because there's no way it should sound that pathetic. Are the rear speakers 5 1/4? or 6.5? They look to be 5.25...and does anyone have some updated pics of completed installs?
in the Z06, you are looking at 5 1/4's to fit the stock location in the rear.

Isn't the stock system brutal??? I listened for 10 seconds, shut it off, withdrew 4 grand from the bank and headed to the candy store (car audio place).
Old 03-27-2018, 05:19 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Miserable! I don't know how I lasted so long in my old Z. I'm thinking Focal K2Ps. Love those! Are you in the camp that thinks the rears should be left out?
Old 03-28-2018, 12:55 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb82 Ronin
Miserable! I don't know how I lasted so long in my old Z. I'm thinking Focal K2Ps. Love those! Are you in the camp that thinks the rears should be left out?
Naw, I am an old school audiophile who use to manage an audio store. Back in the day of the blossoming car audio business, you actually started out with speakers in the rear only, usually a pair of 6 x 9's in the rear deck of your Camaro with a head unit and if you were lucky a small amp of some sort. Man, you were uptown if you had that. I lived through all of those years and changes in car audio and settled in at having rear speakers as fill with a primary front soundstage. I still like it that way and I know when I shut my rears off in my C5 it is a big loss in overall sound. It's just a personal preference for me though. Do you need rears in a Corvette? Heavens no, but it's not a question of need, it's what I want and suits my listening tastes in a car audio environment. I would like to audition Focals. I hear they are a little on the bright side but can't say from firsthand experience. I am leaning towards high end JL's or Morels to replace my dated Rockford Fanatics that are still kickin it after 15 years.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:56 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

FYI, Focal's external crossovers let you dial down the "brightness" as desired. I have K2P's in my truck right now and they absolutely RIP! Cleanest sounding speakers I've ever run. I've run Alpine Type R's, Focal Access series, Boston Acoustics and JL's. The K2P is easily the cleanest speaker I've ever run or heard. A good 2nd was the Boston Acoustics, but they require a ton of power to sound good. If money was no object, I'd pony up for the Utopias. OMG beryllium tweeters!

K2P's are pricey...but well well worth it!
Old 04-23-2020, 05:12 PM
Techmike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default replacing Bose Amp and Skrs

Hi, new member (over 60 not mph) but been following for last year and just joined. Ex IBM tech and familiar with component wiring and diagrams also Muscle car street racer from 60's. Have 2006 with Gps Bose system replacing amp and spkrs. you know why... Looking to put in Alpine KTA-450 Amp, Pioneer TA-A652C for doors and TS-A1370F for rears. Was working with Crutchfield and ran into problem of how to connect HU to amp. their solution was pull unit cut harness coming from head unit connect RCA cables to connector then to Amp. Read alot about Pac AOEM-GM24 and how bad it is then about Add- GM24 harness that isn't available. both of these basically plug in between the HU and the factory harness to get the low level outputs, trigger lead and when I looked at the diagram saw the antenna amplifier had two wires coming from Bose amp. Now those connectors that plug into Bose amp must have all the input sources I need right at the Amp location in foot well. Been looking for Bose amp connector wiring to identify whats what. The only one I see is all outputs to speakers and antenna amplifier. If anyone has the input diagram we could eliminate all adapters and harnesses and just cut Bose plug off and hard wire to RCA jacks and what we need from factory harness to the Alpine harness.
P.S. Took me a year to join because there wasn't a question I had that you haven't answered. This one is probably there also just haven't found it.. Thanks

Quick Reply: [C6] How To make the Line Level/RCA Adapter Harness