Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

argghhh! - no output from new speaker

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 02:25 PM
RockoIV
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default argghhh! - no output from new speaker

Hello folks:

This is probably a dumb question (actually more of a rant now that I think of it), but here goes... I recently installed an amp and new component set in my C6 doors. Have about 10-20 hours on the setup, and suddenly the left woofer cuts out while out for a drive. Got a little static sound then nothing. I'm thinking, crap, must be a connector came loose or something. I pull the door panel and everything looks fine. Do a little troubleshooting (probably bass-ackwards): swap the left/right channels on the amp (by reversing the rca connectors) - still nothing on the left; swap the crossovers - crossovers are fine; bypass the wiring - wiring is fine.

I pull the speaker and try to pop it with a battery - nothing. I try hooking the speaker up to my home stereo - nothing. I check the terminals with a multimeter - get the same reading as when I just touch the probes together.

Is this a common problem? I'm thinking maybe the car environment is just tough on speakers. But what a pisser - now I have to send the thing back to the manufacturer and wait. I was lovin' my tunes.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

sounds weird for a new speaker prly a pisser from the factory

ive had sets of speakers that were 10 yrs old still worked great
Old 03-31-2008, 06:00 PM
RockoIV
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just an update...

So here we are a month later. I spoke with the mfg rep and they eventually sent me a replacement. He said the speaker had a burned voice coil. Installed the replacement this weekend and took it for a nice test drive. Great to have tunes again!

The only thing is that I dread it happening again! I hope it wasn't my fault. Can't think of anything in the install that would cause that to happen.

Dave
Old 04-01-2008, 02:46 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear you got it working. If it happens again, don't wait another month..get another speaker

Get notified of new replies

To argghhh! - no output from new speaker

Quick Reply: argghhh! - no output from new speaker