Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing OEM Nav in a Bose Equipped C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by kev1n
excellent write up , sorry to grave dig this post, but is there a way to reprogram the radio theft lock without the dealer ?
Only if you know someone else that has a Tech II programmer.....
Old 04-27-2009, 10:26 PM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more question , do you need the Original or donor car's VIN for the Tech 2 programming ?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:05 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by kev1n
One more question , do you need the Original or donor car's VIN for the Tech 2 programming ?
Nope, just a service tech that knows what he's doing with Tech 2. Not as easy as it sounds sometimes....
Old 05-03-2009, 02:58 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Nope, just a service tech that knows what he's doing with Tech 2. Not as easy as it sounds sometimes....
The only thing I'll add is that you may need a bill of sale depending upon how strict the dealer wants to be. The point behind the VIN is for anti-theft, they aren't supposed to just install any old head unit without at least proof of sale. However, if the dealership knows you you probably don't have anything to worry about.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

All good info... few more questions:

I have a 2005 C6 which has no steering wheel controls and no On Star... will a 2008 OEM Nav system still work? Microphone is not really necessary for me and am looking to purchase a 2008 OEM Nav that comes with head unit, ver 4 DVD and antenna. No problem with installing this unit? (meaning is it compatible with the car...removing center console etc I can do in my sleep)

Thanks
Michael

Last edited by C6FirstVette; 05-04-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 PM
beav626
Le Mans Master

Good Inof here
Old 06-12-2010, 10:11 AM
ibr180
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by talon90
The only thing I'll add is that you may need a bill of sale depending upon how strict the dealer wants to be. The point behind the VIN is for anti-theft, they aren't supposed to just install any old head unit without at least proof of sale. However, if the dealership knows you you probably don't have anything to worry about.
hi
i take my c6 to deactivate theftcode
he ask me the previous code
i think he doesnt know how to use tech2

does gm tech realy need any code?
or he should deactivate it by tech2 ?
any one have any idea about the steps off using tech2 programm
thanks
Old 06-12-2010, 05:33 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if the OEM GM GPS antenna connector is the same on a Kenwood DNX 9140? Just wondering if I can use the same module. Thanks.

Last edited by SilverSurferC6; 06-12-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:16 AM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverSurferC6
Does anyone know if the OEM GM GPS antenna connector is the same on a Kenwood DNX 9140? Just wondering if I can use the same module. Thanks.
Bueller? Anyone?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:02 PM
b1er
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverSurferC6
Bueller? Anyone?
the factory GPS antenna is in fact the same connector... I used my factory antenna with my Kenwood swap... works perfectly!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:46 PM
rstingray
4th Gear

Default Nav install

hello all. I did the install on my 05 a few years ago and documented everything here:
http://www.skyhighphotos.net/CorvetteNAV.htm

Hope that helps.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:14 PM
bub
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 114 Posts

Received a PM question on this post today, so i figured I'd post the Q and A here for everyone's benefit...

Hey bub-

Do you have time to answer a few questions about your NAV swap you did in your car?

I know the thread is old..but I was hoping you could help me a little.

Thanks for your time!

Sure - fire away...surprised to still be getting questions on this ancient thread, but I'm here to help...

-CKB

Thanks man!

I just purchased a 2011 Z06. Its the only black one I found in the US that has sat inside, in a showroom and I got almost 16K off to boot. No NAV, though.

I'm doing the Nav swap- so this is a simple question on the GPS antenna.

I see where you used a zip tie on the rearward "hole". Was there simply not enough room to get the pushpin in with your fingers, or was the actual pushpin too tall to go in?

I ask, because looking at your photos, and looking at the room between the post and the dash, it *looks* like I could get one in. I have several stub pushpins that I believe will go in.

The ziptie I'm sure will be fine, but I'm damn OCD, and if I think I can get both pins in, I'm going to try.

Thanks for your time!

It's been a while since I've done this and I'm OCD too, so if I could have got both pins in I would have...I seem to recall that the pin would go in "collapsed" but no way it was going in "expanded" with the dash pad in place if that makes any sense...

Congrats on your Z and happy driving to you.

Thanks for your response, and time!

Thats the answer I was hoping for, because I have several different types of pins I can try.

I also have some "xmas" tree type pins that will bend into place and most likely go in. I refuse to put the antenna on the vent, because the heat/cold will eventually work the glue loose. Obviously, you felt the same way, and wanted to do it right. .

Again, thanks for the help!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

There is no way in this earth to get that pin in from the top without removing the dash. I was able to get the pin in backwards, through the bottom, and push the center up to hold the antenna down. This is why very few sell the antenna with the unit. I bought mine with the antenna, discs and head unit. I am adding the SWC's as soon as my column harness shows up. I have the wheel with controls, clockspring already. I even found the additional pins required to add the wires onto my 06 radio harness. Does any one know if I will have to have the unit reflashed again for the swc's to work?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 PM
BLK281
Racer

The pushpins supplied with the antenna kit will not go in the back hole, they are too tall.

An OEM "short" xmas tree type pushpin will go in...I just did it.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Jaa6921
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. What a great thread. I get my 2007 Z51 this week, and swapping out the Bose head (with steering wheel controls) wa one of the things I thought I would try. Although I have to say with all the Garmins I own I do t know how good the Denso compares.

I understand it's essential to get the correct head unit and a gps antenna that fits in the dash,

Question - does the on-star mic work for the phone in the GPS head or does it require a second one. (This sounds a stupid question to me....)

The other question is as I bought my Vette from a dealer a long way away, how much do the dealerships charge to do the Tech2 thing? I'd guess $100'ish.....

Btw I went looking for pics of the trim removal process and the pics in the FAQ are removed. Any ideas?.

Lastly, any ideas where to find a second hand/used gps head?.

Thanks everyone

John A
Old 07-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Silverado Desperado
Drifting

Question please...

If a 2008 base model car did not have a BOSE radio can the GM Nav radio still be installed and work properly?

The base model car does have XM and OnStar.

Quick Reply: Installing OEM Nav in a Bose Equipped C6