Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Speakers In a C6 Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Cool Rod
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Speakers In a C6 Convertible?

Are there any shallow subs that can mount in the partition of a C6 Vert?

I've upgraded the door speakers to Focal components, but there isn't any bass.

I know about the JL Stealthboxes, but I was wondering if there might be a new product that gives good loud bass and is less expensive and could be mounted where the rears presently are. I'd enlarge the existing holes if it was necessary. I'll add an amp to power the subs.

My goal is to get good quality sound with with the top down.

Thanks
Old 12-24-2008, 04:08 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

not gonna happen, i would deaden ur doors for more midbass though
Old 12-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Cool Rod
Pro

Thanks Pentavolvo.

I'm probably going to have to go with the JL units then.

Pretty expensive, especially since I already have about $1200 or so in the door speakers and amp.

Is there another alternative then to subs? Some other speakers that will just add a litle low end and still fit in the partition?

If you don't think so then I guess I'm going down the JL Stealthbox path due to lack of options. From what I've heard that's not so bad though.

What is your opinion of the JL Stealthboxes? Is it the only real choice available to Vert owners?

Thanks a lot and merry christmas.
Old 12-25-2008, 12:19 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

check out corvettecaraudio.com and someone else on the forum i just cant thing of who make boxes for the c6 that go in the trunk for coupes that will also work for a vert and for way less money and IMO would be better
Old 12-26-2008, 12:30 AM
1nicecorvette
Burning Brakes

free air subs (Ancient technology) are the way to go. MTX makes some as well as pioneer and JBL. and other manufactures like pyles. (POOR)
they should work well with what you want to accomplish.
search -----> http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=if
Old 12-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Cool Rod
Pro

Thanks 1nicecorvette! Sorry I didn't notice your post sooner. I appreciate the help and I wonder if this is the way to go.

I know the boxed subs are the better choice, but considering the small amount of space available behind the partition, where the factory rears are, this might be a good way to go.

I'm going to study up on this.

Meanwhile, can anyone join in on this conversation who has used freeair subs and and give their opinion? Can they get loud enough to give me the base I want, particularly with the roof down at about 65 mph or so?

Pentavolvo, what do you think about this idea in lieu of JL Stealthboxes?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Cool Rod
Pro

Inicecorvette, thanks again!

I've been looking at the different products you pointed me to and it seems like there's some good stuff there. It sure sounds like they would work just fine for what I want, which is good loud bass but not high-school-kid-in-tiny-car loud.

I'm going to take some measurements from the partition and available space and then see what speakers sound like the best match.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:50 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

imo with the thin factory speaker mount/partition this isnt gonna work too well but its worth a shot. could u somehow build a box behind the speaker to enclose it i forgot what it looks like on a vert
Old 12-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Cool Rod
Pro

Sorta disappointed.

When I checked the partition I realized the way it's formed would make it very hard to install any speaker larger than the factory speaker. The partition is molded to accomodate that speaker and then it's shape changes and I don't think anything would fit. Besides, the height of the divider is pretty short so whatever I tried to install couldn't be broader than about 6 inches. The JL Stealthbox gets around this by tipping the speaker backwards which makes a bigger speaker fit better. Imagine a dinner plate standing upright it would be about 11 inches across, then imagine the same plate tipped backward it would appear to only be about 7 or so inches across.

OK, looks like I'm down to two options: the JL Stealthboxes or a sub mounted in the trunk.

Is that sub-in-the-trunk any good? How does the sound travel to the cockpit past the folded down roof and past the divider? Can you distinguish clear crisp thumping if it's in the trunk? Do you pull out the factory rears to allow the sound to get into the cockpit?

I guess the biggest flaw with this option is the fact that if you need the trunk space for long driving trips you'd need to take out the sub.

It's cheaper to do the sub in a box in the trunk which is good, but I don't want to spend money that's going to be a disappointment.

The more I think about this while writing, the more I guess I'm heading toward the JL Stealthboxes.

Cheers
Old 12-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a stereo shop make custom fiberglass enclosures for those areas. Used JL 8" 3w3v for the boxes. Same components, about 2/3 the price and looks better IMO.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I am wrestling with this same decision as well. I do not want to give up the trunk space that a sub/box would take up.

The cost of the JL Audio Stealthbox for the vert, doesn't scare me but I did read a revue that stated they did not go very low. Not too surprising considering the space limitation and box size/8" speakers.

JL Audio makes a very shallow sub (13TW5) that is 2.5 inches deep and about 3.5 inches thick, total.

Now this may be a bit absurd, but could you build it into a box that resembles the conventional amp racks that are installed in most verts, sliding in under the rear trunk partition?

The box would be low and wide with the front to back dimension determined by the amount of space necessary to get to .8 cubic feet (or .63 cu. ft. if you use the 12TW5).

Further, could you leave the forward side/wall of the box open/ported, firing into the top storage area/passenger compartment. I know this last aspect will be determined by the speaker's suspension characteristics and whether it can operate in free-air.

I bow to the experts on these questions.

The next challenge is mounting the amp(s) but the 2 storage compartments are available but obviously not ideal.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:07 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

i put subs in trunks in c5 verts all the time with great results IMO get a trunk box for ur c6 vert put a 10 in and you will be good
Old 12-29-2008, 02:09 AM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How big are your amps? I used a single Audison SRX3 which is a somewhat specialized 3 channel amp made for stereo front channels with a dedicated sub channel. It is conservatively rated at 75wattsx2 to the doors and 280 watts to the sub channel at a 4 ohm load. It's a pretty big amp and we put it under the waterfall piece right in between and slighlly behind the seats. Two smaller amps should have no problem fitting there.

Last edited by Dueysan; 12-29-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Speakers In a C6 Convertible?

Quick Reply: Rear Speakers In a C6 Convertible?