Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

[C6 Answers] What do I need to install a head?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spying Beast
Is there a "simple" harness that can be utilized if one doesn't really care about the chimes, and does not have the steering wheel controls?

05 C6....Part #? I plan on using an aftermarket deck.
Do you guys know the part #?
Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

There's NO "simple" part number. The part numbers shown in this are what is. Today's cars are computer-driven and the days of triggering a radio from a switched 12V source are gone. You NEED a module and I strongly recommend the Peripheral - GMCO if you don't care about Onstar, GMAH24(B) (and GMAHCM) if you do.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Spying Beast
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
There's NO "simple" part number. The part numbers shown in this are what is. Today's cars are computer-driven and the days of triggering a radio from a switched 12V source are gone. You NEED a module and I strongly recommend the Peripheral - GMCO if you don't care about Onstar, GMAH24(B) (and GMAHCM) if you do.
Understood....

Peripheral on order, 75.00 shipped
Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Metra has a new unit Metra GMOS-100 Axxess that keeps the chime, does onstar, brings in all the required wires (like VSS, reverse, park brake, etc) and even allows you to keep the stock XM module via your aftermarket radio AUX-in (separate control screen needed).

Seems pretty simple solution and very clean looking. I'm now actually thinking of going aftermarket in my Vette.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 PM
bahamabum
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 Bose coup, installing a carputer in the faq you point at:

For Onstar Cars, Bose if not installing an amp:
Peripheral GMAH24B
Peripheral GMAHCM

It seems these part numbers are all discontinued, from their site I think I need the:

OS-2C-BOSE adapter,, from the instructions it seems it takes speaker level inputs from a head unit, I need line level inputs from a PC, want to keep chimes onstar etc all intact.

Thanks for all the awesome info!

Another thing I cannot find is the maximum depth of the DIN2 cavity? Looking at using a case similar to:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Double-M.../dp/B0076PF92Q

I have parts coming in, starting test bench build and harness development. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

How deep is that box? If it's 7" or less you won't have any issues. There is a plastic 'bracket' on the rear wall behind the radio that you can cut off to get another inch or so of room if you need it.

GMAH24B has been replaced by OS-2C-Bose. You can connect the onstar audio to the center speaker and bypass the interface with normal audio and connect line-level directly to the car inputs, but you'd have to install a relay of some sort on the signals that gets activated by the mute signal when onstar is in use (if there is one, I'm not 100% sure of how the interface works). C6 prints are HERE if you need them. This thread should show how to connect center speaker to onstar wires.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 AM
bahamabum
Instructor

The one thing missing on all the double din stuff Im looking at is depth!

Where would the line level inputs to the vehicle be?

Am looking for the keep it simple solution, as I am simple
Old 01-27-2013, 02:27 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

If keeping oem amp/speakers you need to feed line-level signals into big C1 plug at pins A8-11 and B8-11. You also must have a 12V trigger to turn the amp on, that connects to pin B3.

IMO the simplest way to connect PC audio to car would be with a C2R-GM24 (it has RCA line-level plugs on the adapter), but that interface would not keep onstar functional.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:15 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman

For no Onstar cars, Bose or Delco stereos, whether installing amp or not:
Peripheral GMCO

For Onstar Cars, Bose if not installing an amp:
Peripheral GMAH24B
Peripheral GMAHCM

For Onstar Cars, Bose or Delco if installing an amp:
Peripheral GMAH24
Peripheral GMAHCM
What about if I have onstar, no bose, and don't want to install amps? I don't see that option. Are these OEM integration modules also a wiring harness? I haven't done an install in a few years but typically you also need a wiring harness that plugs into the aftermarket harness and then provides all the specific connections for that car. I'm thinking about picking up a Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH.

edit - nevermind I have Bose.

Last edited by slickstick; 02-18-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 PM
slickstick
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by slickstick
What about if I have onstar, no bose, and don't want to install amps? I don't see that option. Are these OEM integration modules also a wiring harness? I haven't done an install in a few years but typically you also need a wiring harness that plugs into the aftermarket harness and then provides all the specific connections for that car. I'm thinking about picking up a Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH.
I'm also assuming I don't have bose because I don't see their usual branding everywhere. Quick search I don't see how to tell definitively...

edit - Nevermind I can't believe I never noticed but I saw Bose on the grilles when I was paying attention this morning. Figured it would be plastered on the head unit as usual.

Last edited by slickstick; 02-18-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 AM
traderfjp
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

This is a great thread. Hope it's ok to wake it up. I'm a liitle confused. I'm installing a Kenwood HU, 4 channel amp, sub with mono amp and speakers. I want to reatain all chimes, button sounds, etc. I was sold a GMOS-04 and a ASWC-1. Should I swap the GMOS-04 for a PAC OS-2C-BOSE? Is there anyting else I need besides the atttena adapter?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Zeeman28a
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 117 Posts

Any chance you can update the links in the OP with the updated part numbers and links to the PAC site? The ones in the OP don't come up anymore.

I have an '05 with the Bose NAV no XM, with Onstar (even though I don't currently subscribe.) Looking to replace just the head unit and need to know what harness and/or adapters I need to replace to keep everything normal.

Great writeup, even if a bit outdated.

Thanks for the effort.

Stan.

Last edited by Zeeman28a; 08-05-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:34 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

To keep onstar functional this one

To dump onstar and have an easier install this one
Old 10-07-2013, 05:34 PM
bahamabum
Instructor

Ack! I want to supply the BOSE amp with line level stereo input from carputer (PC) and keep chimes and onstar. Using dash speaker is more than sufficient.

I have the OS2CBOSEKIT and it is speaker level inputs. Dennis says the c2rgm24 is the part for me but loose onstar.

Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:23 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by bahamabum
Ack! I want to supply the BOSE amp with line level stereo input from carputer (PC) and keep chimes and onstar. Using dash speaker is more than sufficient.

I have the OS2CBOSEKIT and it is speaker level inputs. Dennis says the c2rgm24 is the part for me but loose onstar.

Thoughts?
Dennis is the expert, but you can probably mostly do what you want if you rig up an OS-2C like you were going to bypass the bose amp, and then splice the PC line-level outputs into the 24 pin harness.

It would be kinda-sorta like option 2 HERE, but you'd want to connect the PC outs to the amp line level inputs on the oem 24 pin plug.

You could actually use one of THESE to get the signal into the car.

That would probably work, but you'd have to manually mute the PC when you wanted to talk on onstar.

Possibly maybe probably
Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 AM
bahamabum
Instructor

Whew! Whole lotta possibly maybe probably, only wanna take it all apart once! Carputer coming together on the bench, need a real plan....
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The OS-2C can be rigged to work as you want, but it will take some creativity.

The only guaranteed plug-n-play solution is to use the C2R-GM24 and say goodbye to your onstar.

Get notified of new replies

To [C6 Answers] What do I need to install a head?

Old 10-11-2013, 01:05 AM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Great info thanks

Lisa
Old 08-09-2015, 06:08 AM
a_noob&his_Vette
2nd Gear

Default Fwiw my install

So I agree you need a module. However for the best sound I recommend to run new wire to all 4 speakers. You are losing power and adding distortion if you are going thru the Delphi amp (base non bose) this can give you the best sound. I first used kicker 6.5 component in the doors and 5.25 kickers in the back. Did the same speakers in my other car. You tell a huge differencence.

In conclusion I spent the extra time a 20 bux on wire and ran the set up off the radio. It's twice as loud also sounds cleaner.

My 2 cents.

Went ahead and installed the rcas and turn on wire. For sub setup. So I don't have to pull radio again.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:22 PM
LdkE
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Guys,

really helpful information above, but some time is gone since the first post and devices and packages have changed quite a bit.
So if possible I want to have your help if below list is complete for my ride to install a aftermarket head unit.

2013 Corvette Conv. GS A6 /w Bose but w/o Onstar (European model)

Want to install an Pioneer AVIC F77DAB (Pioneers top device in Europe with same Dimensions like the AVIC AVIC-8100NEX in the US) and figured on above mentioned information out the follwing needed installation devices:

GM Multi Kit DDIN 05-13
PAC RP5-GM11 (this package already contains OS-2C-BOSE & SWI-RC Interface & antenna adapter)

Anything else (except the mentioned variety of miscellaneous wire, butt connectors, spades, heat shrink tubing and electrical tapeinstallation material) needed to install the head unit successfully?

Another question which came up during reading the PAC RP5-GM11 description is what is meant by:
"An all in one radio replacement and SWC interface, the innovative new RadioPRO5 comes pre-loaded with OnStar retention, amplifier retention, SWC software, navigation based output signals and other features that save time and money during installation."

Pretty sure that it was not possible yet to keep the function of the head up display showing navigation arrows with an aftermarket solution. Has this changes or points "navigation based output signals" only to sounds and voice of the navigation system through the Bose sound system?

Thanks

Lars

Quick Reply: [C6 Answers] What do I need to install a head?