Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

[C6 Answers] What do I need to install a head?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 03:16 PM
Sprayy
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Do I need two ground loop isolators or just one?
Old 04-24-2018, 06:17 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprayy
Do I need two ground loop isolators or just one?
Hopefully you won’t need any. I have installed a few head units in my life and never needed to use ground loop isolators. I think many problems sometimes get misdiagnosed as a ground issue when trouble shooting. Install the new head unit, if any problem arise then trouble shoot and add if necessary.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:45 PM
Sprayy
Racer

Do I need any special modules if I have Bose?

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred

Hopefully you won’t need any. I have installed a few head units in my life and never needed to use ground loop isolators. I think many problems sometimes get misdiagnosed as a ground issue when trouble shooting. Install the new head unit, if any problem arise then trouble shoot and add if necessary.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:29 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Do I need any special modules if I have Bose?

Pac Audio RP5-GM11 or RP4-GM11 interface wiring harness, comes with steering wheel controls. The RP5 retains OnStar if you prefer to keep it. You also need the Metra 95-3304 double din face plate. You can pick these up on Amazon or Crutchfield. Also, some crimp style connectors to connect the wires if you are not interested in soldering the wires together. That's everything you would need to do an install. Only other thing I would recommend would be a back up camera.
The following users liked this post:
BigW1998 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 01:47 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

My last few Vettes had whine after install, so I just always run a pair of GLI's now.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Sprayy
Racer

About to order. Can someone double check this list for me please? It says the RP4-GM11 isn't compatible with my car.

Is it worth it to upgrade any speakers too at this point?

Last edited by Sprayy; 07-07-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:03 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

About to order. Can someone double check this list for me please? It says the RP4-GM11 isn't compatible with my car.

Is it worth it to upgrade any speakers too at this point?

Sprayy, everything looks good to go. You are just missing the Metra double din faceplate.

According to Pac Audio's website and other forum members, the RP4 will work with 2005-2013 Corvettes any trim.

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-...ement/rp4-gm11 (just click on application guide for list of vehicles)

Just keep in mind if you have or want to retain OnStar, you need the RP5-GM11, otherwise RP4

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 07-07-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Sprayy
Racer

Thanks! They don't have the metra but they do have that American International one in my picture...I hope that's an acceptable substitute?

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Sprayy, everything looks good to go. You are just missing the Metra double din faceplate.

According to Pac Audio's website and other forum members, the RP4 will work with 2005-2013 Corvettes any trim.

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-...ement/rp4-gm11 (just click on application guide for list of vehicles)
Old 07-07-2018, 11:19 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Thanks! They don't have the metra but they do have that American International one in my picture...I hope that's an acceptable substitute?
I don't see it in the picture? But just in case you need the Metra, you can get in on Amazon ($9.53).

Edit: ok just saw that it comes free with the radio. Haven't seen those, so hopefully it's good.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 07-07-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:10 PM
nbhansfo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay Radio Replacement Question - Going to go ahead and install the ALPINE iLX-F309 HALO9. Seen a couple vettes with it and it really does look amazing and modern in the C6's. The only problem is the stupid radio replacement parts. They really made this car so complicated compared to the last 3x cars I have.

06 Base Convertible Z51/3LT/BOSE/NAV model/OnStar. - NO Steering controls.

Looks like Peripheral was bought by PAC Audio so the OP links are dead.

PAC RP5-GM11 vs RP4-GM11 module? I don't have the steering controls and do not care about the OnStar or steering controls so I'm assuming I need to just use the RP4-GM11 module and then get the DIN from Metra Online and the Metra Online antenna adapter. Do I need a splitter? XM was integrated into the factory NAV and I saw a previous comment somewhere about using a Y-Splitter to combine them? I do not use XM if that makes a difference.

**Also, on the same site that list the PAC parts what the heck is the OS-2X??? ( https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-replacement/os-2x ) Was that the previously (rebranded now to PAC-Audio) used part from Peripheral that is comparable to the RP5-GM11? I'm fairly confused as you can see!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:24 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by nbhansfo
Okay Radio Replacement Question - Going to go ahead and install the ALPINE iLX-F309 HALO9. Seen a couple vettes with it and it really does look amazing and modern in the C6's. The only problem is the stupid radio replacement parts. They really made this car so complicated compared to the last 3x cars I have.

06 Base Convertible Z51/3LT/BOSE/NAV model/OnStar. - NO Steering controls.

Looks like Peripheral was bought by PAC Audio so the OP links are dead.

PAC RP5-GM11 vs RP4-GM11 module? I don't have the steering controls and do not care about the OnStar or steering controls so I'm assuming I need to just use the RP4-GM11 module and then get the DIN from Metra Online and the Metra Online antenna adapter. Do I need a splitter? XM was integrated into the factory NAV and I saw a previous comment somewhere about using a Y-Splitter to combine them? I do not use XM if that makes a difference.

**Also, on the same site that list the PAC parts what the heck is the OS-2X??? ( https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-replacement/os-2x ) Was that the previously (rebranded now to PAC-Audio) used part from Peripheral that is comparable to the RP5-GM11? I'm fairly confused as you can see!
The OS-2 is an older model. Get either the RP5 or RP4, both will work for your car. The RP5 comes with a GM antenna adapter in the package. No splitter is needed for anything. The only option for XM was to re-use the factory XM antenna instead of the one supplied with the XM tuner. Not really worth the hassle IMO.

Edit: also shop around for prices for the Pac module (interface). I got mine off Amazon.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 01-04-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:08 PM
nbhansfo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Yeah, Unfortunately Metra Online and PAC make it difficult finding what is actually needed most of the time because of the 20+ products they list. This will help a lot. Can't wait to get that 9" Alpine in there. Should look and sound pretty nice!
Old 02-17-2020, 03:23 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Just came back here myself to get the newest numbers.. as i had sold my 2006 and got in a old classic but now im back in a C6
I have Bose and onstar but wont be using onstar and want as simple install as possible so im thinking i need the RP4-GM11...
And will update the rest of the system later on down the road as i have some good Steg speakers and amp
Old 10-30-2020, 01:20 PM
asanelli
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you install a "ground loop isolator" on a delco amp system?

Quick Reply: [C6 Answers] What do I need to install a head?