Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Convert Onstar to Bluetooth

Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 AM
slowdriver
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert Onstar to Bluetooth

I have this product: Bluestar PNP GMLAN from costartech.com
in my 2008 GMC acadia, and it works great. Took about 5 minutes to install.

Now I'm looking to put one in my 2007 vette, but before I order another, has anyone tried one yet? The GMC is GMLAN, and the vette is Class2, so I can't just swap it from one car to the other to try it (you'll see on their web site if I ordered the Universal model I could have done that, but I got the GMLAN model)

Also, does anyone know where the Onstar module (aka VCIM) is located in a 2007? I heard it's under the passenger seat, but I haven't even started to look yet.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:21 PM
nc_c5
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2006 and I am interested in this product. I sent an email to techsupport@costartech.com asking them where the Onstar module is located.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:27 PM
nc_c5
Instructor

Default Try this link

Found a link that shows where Onstar module is located.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-an-08-c6.html
Old 06-29-2009, 02:13 PM
slowdriver
4th Gear

thanks I'll have to take a look there.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:21 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I don't know the specific product but since it references "GMLAN" I'd lay real money down that it will not work. Our cars (right up through at least 2009) are the older serial data bus, not the GMLAN that is in the rest of the product line these days.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM
slowdriver
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
I don't know the specific product but since it references "GMLAN" I'd lay real money down that it will not work. Our cars (right up through at least 2009) are the older serial data bus, not the GMLAN that is in the rest of the product line these days.

Yes, according to their application guide, my 2007 is Class 2 data bus, not GMLAN (which is what my Acadia is). I'm not sure about the 2008/9 vettes, since they are not in the application guide...

I did a bit of research before I bought the Bluestar for the Acadia, and it has loads of positive feedback from those who have one. The one in my Acadia wors well, so I think I'm just going to buy one for the vette too.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:45 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by slowdriver
Yes, according to their application guide, my 2007 is Class 2 data bus, not GMLAN (which is what my Acadia is). I'm not sure about the 2008/9 vettes, since they are not in the application guide...

I did a bit of research before I bought the Bluestar for the Acadia, and it has loads of positive feedback from those who have one. The one in my Acadia wors well, so I think I'm just going to buy one for the vette too.
I can tell you with certainty that 2008 is also Class 2 because I have an '08 Z06 and a good friend has an '08 coupe that we replaced the stereo with. Though I do not have first-hand experience, I can tell you that 2009 is also class 2 because I have helped numerous folks with '09s on these boards using the exact same pieces (Peripheral GMCO & GMAH24 which are class 2 devices).

You certainly can feel free to spend your money and give it a shot, but I'm gonna tell ya if you buy a piece that is designed to work with GMLAN it will not work in any C6 Corvette through the 2009 model year.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:50 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Umm, go ahead and waste your money. IT WILL NOT WORK IN A CLASS 2 BUSS CAR WHICH INCLUDES ALL 2005-2009 CORVETTES!!!

Let me ask you a question.....You came here a newbie and asked a question, one of the foremost experts in audio here says it will not work and yet you say "I'm gonna try it anyway" So my question is if you were so dead set on trying it why come here and ask if it will work???

To answer you original question, On-Star is located in the passenger side cubby in the hatch area. At least that is where it is located in coupes.

Last edited by C7-Beast; 06-30-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:54 AM
slowdriver
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Umm, go ahead and waste your money. IT WILL NOT WORK IN A CLASS 2 BUSS CAR WHICH INCLUDES ALL 2005-2009 CORVETTES!!!

Let me ask you a question.....You came here a newbie and asked a question, one of the foremost experts in audio here says it will not work and yet you say "I'm gonna try it anyway" So my question is if you were so dead set on trying it why come here and ask if it will work???

To answer you original question, On-Star is located in the passenger side cubby in the hatch area. At least that is where it is located in coupes.
Please - there's no reason to flame me!

As per my original post, I know that the GMC is GMLAN, and that the vette is Class 2.

Costartech makes units for both. I understand that they're different. My point is that I can't take the unit out of my Acadia and try it in the vette, because it won't work! If I order one for the vette, it'll be a CLASS2 version, which should work just fine. They have them both on their website - www.coastartech.com

I was on this forum for two reasons: one was for help in locating the Onstar module, the other was to see if any of you have used this product in a corvette (which apparently nobody has).
Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 PM
nc_c5
Instructor

Default Reply from Costar Tech Support

Their tech support told me that the BlueSTAR PnP Class2 kit works on my 2006. It sells for $249.00.

They sell another kit for $279.00 that is for GMLAN.

I'm going to give the Class2 kit a try.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

Please - there's no reason to flame me!
My response was not a flame. I even told you exactly where the On-Star module was. You appeared to be asking the exact same question that was already asked and answered and that is why I responded as I did. If you were as clear in asking your question as you were responding to my post it would not have seemed like you were asking the same exact question after you already had a response.

Best of luck to you, My response was not meant to be a flame and I apologize if that is how you took it.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Texan07
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this product: Bluestar PNP GMLAN from costartech.com
in my 2008 GMC acadia, and it works great. Took about 5 minutes to install.

Now I'm looking to put one in my 2007 vette, but before I order another, has anyone tried one yet? The GMC is GMLAN, and the vette is Class2, so I can't just swap it from one car to the other to try it (you'll see on their web site if I ordered the Universal model I could have done that, but I got the GMLAN model)

Also, does anyone know where the Onstar module (aka VCIM) is located in a 2007? I heard it's under the passenger seat, but I haven't even started to look yet.
Slowdriver thanks for making this post, although some had a hard time understanding it, I understood your question the first time I read it,
This is something I will be looking into.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 AM
JARC6RagTop
4th Gear

Default How well does it work?

Slowdriver, I too was considering the Co-Star module for converting the On-Star to BlueTooth. I see the last post on this thread is about 6 months old. Did you purchase and install it? If so, can you provide some feedback on how well it works?

If you didn't end up getting it, can you give some brief overview of how the product worked in your Acadia?

It's not a ton of money, but I would rather not put it out if it's really a piece of junk.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

has anybody tried this product on their vette?
I am very interested in this,,,,,,,sounds to good to be true,,,,,,
Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nc_c5
Their tech support told me that the BlueSTAR PnP Class2 kit works on my 2006. It sells for $249.00.

They sell another kit for $279.00 that is for GMLAN.

I'm going to give the Class2 kit a try.
did you try this yet???
Old 03-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Texan07
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this in my car and it worked as stated I removed it when I installed my Kenwood DNX 9140 I have since removed the Kenwood and reinstalled the factory nav. ran across this thread and got me thinking about reinstalling the bluetooth module again if I can find it.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:36 AM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Texan07
I had this in my car and it worked as stated I removed it when I installed my Kenwood DNX 9140 I have since removed the Kenwood and reinstalled the factory nav. ran across this thread and got me thinking about reinstalling the bluetooth module again if I can find it.
every one here is taking oem out and putting kenwood in,why the reversal???

Get notified of new replies

To Convert Onstar to Bluetooth

Old 03-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Buck-KY
1st Gear

My apologies for posting this in the wrong forum, but finding help on this subject is damn near impossible.

I have a 2004 Cadillac XLR and am trying to find a replacement VCIM so as to have bluetooth functionality. I've been told my best chance is to obtain a VCIM out of a 2009 corvette.

I don't care to have the Onstar service - just interested in bluetooth capability.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:57 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck-KY
My apologies for posting this in the wrong forum, but finding help on this subject is damn near impossible.

I have a 2004 Cadillac XLR and am trying to find a replacement VCIM so as to have bluetooth functionality. I've been told my best chance is to obtain a VCIM out of a 2009 corvette.

I don't care to have the Onstar service - just interested in bluetooth capability.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
http://www.corvetterecycling.com/

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
every one here is taking oem out and putting kenwood in,why the reversal???
Interesting question Rick....I just ordered a new Kenwood a couple days ago so I could dump the OEM NAV for Garmin and also get the bluetooth.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convert Onstar to Bluetooth