Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Convert Onstar to Bluetooth

Old 04-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Jimmy 2 Times
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

try this, I installed one of these in a tahoe this weekend

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID...productID/1705
Old 04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Bodieism
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times
try this, I installed one of these in a tahoe this weekend

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID...productID/1705
Looks as if that might work better for me since it will display the caller ID on the radio. However, the manual says its for 2005-2007 models. I wonder if they haven't updated the list or if it won't work for the 2008 Corvette?

I also wonder if this one uses the microphone thats already in the car? I couldn't find anything in the manual.

Last edited by Bodieism; 04-05-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 PM
hugepiece
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodieism
Looks as if that might work better for me since it will display the caller ID on the radio. However, the manual says its for 2005-2007 models. I wonder if they haven't updated the list or if it won't work for the 2008 Corvette?

I also wonder if this one uses the microphone thats already in the car? I couldn't find anything in the manual.
i'd be keen to get some more info on this too, I was considering the bluestar until i read this too. looking in the net it looks like the unit comes with another microphone that you need to install. also it looks like you need to use the add-on box if you want to use your iphone 3gs with this for bluetooth music streaming, which seems strange to me, im keen to hear whether that is indeed the case or not. if you dont then this looks like an awesome piece of kit. anyone got one of these in their vette?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:03 PM
tech80
1st Gear

Greetings,

I spoke to Scosche Tech Support and they indicated that the 2006-2010 Corvette had been verified as compatible with the BlueFusion BFCL2.

The BFCL2 "emulates" the factory Satellite tuner and so the factory Corvette radio must be Satellite-radio-ready.

Good luck with your installation!
Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 PM
hugepiece
Intermediate

hey, now they are confusing me. i emailed them last week to ask where my local dealer was in the DFW area, and after I gave them details of the car they said that the device was not compatible with the C6 corvette......interesting
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
andneil74
Cruising

I purchased and installed the Bluestar 2010 in my 2005 vert. It took about 5 mins to install and it does work well using the onstar mirror controls and mic. However, there is one BIG problem: The unit stays on after the car is shut down causing the battery to drain. I had to remove it from the car and wound up returning it to Costar Technologies. Apparently, they are aware of this problem and are working on a fix. I will try it again after they confirm that this problem has been fixed.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andneil74
I purchased and installed the Bluestar 2010 in my 2005 vert. It took about 5 mins to install and it does work well using the onstar mirror controls and mic. However, there is one BIG problem: The unit stays on after the car is shut down causing the battery to drain. I had to remove it from the car and wound up returning it to Costar Technologies. Apparently, they are aware of this problem and are working on a fix. I will try it again after they confirm that this problem has been fixed.
Thanks for this post. This is something I want to add to my '06 vert and eliminate my other crappy handsfree device. I added a favorite on IE to their website so that I can check back later.

Have they notified you that it has been fixed? http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html
Old 05-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Below is an email I received from CoStar Technologies last night about the battery drain problem/resolution. If you are one of these people that had the problem, let him know if it has been resolved (you will need to download and apply the software update). Meanwhile, I think I am going to order one of these dudes to convert my disabled Onstar to bluetooth capability.
Ed,

We did get several reports of battery drain in Corvettes. We did make some changes to the software (The BlueSTAR 2010 takes software updates via USB cable) on April 22 which may have rectified the problem. We have not gotten and word back from those owners as to whether the problem is solved. We also had one customer (may have been the same forum member with the ’05) that took some bus activity captures for us to take a look at – with that, we will certainly be able to fix the problem with the corvettes.

Not all corvettes have this issue, and as I mentioned, the unit is easily upgraded via USB. If you’d like to purchase now, and see if it works OK in your car, we have stock. We will provide you with a full refund if it doesn’t work to your satisfaction. Or, you may chose to wait until the issue is definitely rectified, perhaps in a week or two.

Thanks for your inquiry,

-Joe

PO Box 904, Amityville, NY 11701
www.costartech.com
Old 05-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Mykill Myers
Racer

has anyone tried the software update as of yet?
If so, did it fix the battery drain issue?

Im planning on getting one of these if that problem has been corrected.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Crystal Vette
Pro

As of May 10th, 2010

Just received this response from CO Star:
We are currently working on it. It may be a few more weeks before we can say with 100% confidence that the corvette battery problems have been solved. We made a recent change that may have solved the problem, but we haven’t gotten definitive feedback yet.

Check back with us – Thanks for your inquiry!

-Joe

Technical Support
Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM
andneil74
Cruising

I reluctantly returned the unit to Costar in April because of the battery drain issue and have not heard back from them despite my requests for an update. Sounds to me like they are selling an untested product!

Based on the last post here, it appears like they stilll have not corrected this issue. I would be very happy to re-purchase if I had assurance from them or someone on this forum that they tried it and the product works correctly.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:29 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 543 Likes on 323 Posts

I reluctantly returned the unit to Costar in April because of the battery drain issue and have not heard back from them despite my requests for an update. Sounds to me like they are selling an untested product!

Based on the last post here, it appears like they stilll have not corrected this issue. I would be very happy to re-purchase if I had assurance from them or someone on this forum that they tried it and the product works correctly.
I'm sure they cant test every single make and model car they sell for.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:13 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I bought the costar unit,but am having problems.I am waiting for the latest software update,I will try that,if no success,I will return it.I was really hoping it would have worked,,,,
Old 05-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
I bought the costar unit,but am having problems.I am waiting for the latest software update,I will try that,if no success,I will return it.I was really hoping it would have worked,,,,
Thanks for the update. Hopefully, the software update fixes your problem. My '06 vert is a daily driver and I don't need to head out to the garage and find my battery DOA.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:25 PM
hugepiece
Intermediate

i just wanted to resurrect this again. looking at the website the battery drain thing looks to be fixed now. however, i now notice something else - it looks like removing the onstar and adding this device will stop the voice for the navigation from working, is that correct?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
JARC6RagTop
4th Gear

The battery drain issue turned a lot of people off, but it's definitely fixed for my vette (2006 vert with NAV). For a while I couldn't use it at all due to the massive feedback/echo problem that threatened to deafen me, but on October 1st, my state enacted a hands-free law which prompted me to take a look at it again.

Reaching out to CoStar for support they provided a new version of SW and CPU DSP Programming Tool. You'll need to load the latest SW version (0927 required to support DSP Tool) and then run the CPU DSP tool to pull your BlueSTAR MAC address. E-mail the mac to CoStar Technical support to which they will reply with a mac-specific .psr file to load using the CPU DSP tool. (For those of you who don't own the BlueSTAR 2010, this is a relatively easy thing to do. If you can plug in a USB to your laptop, you can easily run the CPU Tools from Costar. The manuals are pretty clear and offer step-by-step instructions for setting it up.)

Well I did all those steps and was finally able to use the BlueSTAR 2010 successfully. I'm not 100% behind it yet because I've only spent about 1 hour using it. However, that's about 45 minutes longer than I was able to use it in the past.

I know lots of people in this forum have talked about other BlueTooth solutions with better functionality, features, etc. I also have found many threads on after-market HUs that are much better than the stock NAV. And lots of people will opt for a low-cost headset for about $40. For me, however, this is a relatively low-cost option ($279) that is a nearly invisible mod, doesn't change the look of the interior, doesn't require a tumor in your ear and can be undone faster than it takes to install. The only down side for some people is the loss of On-Star. I personally don't see that as a loss since I bought the car used and never intended to re-activate On-Star (Sure, if I lock my fob and keys in the car I'm hosed, but I haven't done that in 20+ years of driving...).

I'm still testing it and will respond to this thread with updates on issues I find.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:05 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by NOCRISIS
I got back recently from a 4,000 mile trip,I have the new co-star unit and it worked good.It is not as good as GM's bluetooth,but it is worth the money if it is your only option to GM's.The echo is gone,battery drain gone,,,I did have one time where I got a light squeal,but nothing since.If GM's is a 10,this thing is an honest 8+.I will be keeping it for sure.

Get notified of new replies

To Convert Onstar to Bluetooth

Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 PM
leres
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I see a new version on the costartech website (11-0401.cfw) that adds DIC support. They haven't updated the documentation so it's hard to say what how it works. Has anybody tried it?
Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Skimball
Advanced

Originally Posted by leres
I see a new version on the costartech website (11-0401.cfw) that adds DIC support. They haven't updated the documentation so it's hard to say what how it works. Has anybody tried it?
I just ordered one for my 2008 Z06. I will probably install it next weekend and then I'll report back here.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:02 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by Skimball
I just ordered one for my 2008 Z06. I will probably install it next weekend and then I'll report back here.
How is it? I'm considering one. I had one in my G8 and it worked well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Convert Onstar to Bluetooth