Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Convert Onstar to Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,528 Likes on 521 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

bump. For a 2008 C6 Coupe (non nav) - do I just buy this from costar site and I am done? I don't need anything else?
Old 10-24-2012, 01:19 AM
SeeFiveOhFun
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump. 2009 coupe, no nav. and wondering the best way to get blue tooth .... override Onstar with this bluestar contraption, or upgrade to a new stereo head unit. Thanks for help anyone can provide.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Ed Ski
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BlueStar or Upgraded OnStar ???

Hey....new here so please be gentle....

What would be a better way to go to add bluetooth to my 2008 (z51 coupe) vette??

1) Purchasing the CoStar/Bluestar unit, OR

2) Upgrading the Onstar unit to one from a 2009 Z06 (Which I can get my hands on cheap).

If it is the latter, are there any configuration problems putting an OnStar from another vette in my car?

Any help appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by Ed Ski
Hey....new here so please be gentle....

What would be a better way to go to add bluetooth to my 2008 (z51 coupe) vette??

1) Purchasing the CoStar/Bluestar unit, OR

2) Upgrading the Onstar unit to one from a 2009 Z06 (Which I can get my hands on cheap).

If it is the latter, are there any configuration problems putting an OnStar from another vette in my car?

Any help appreciated, thanks!
A bunch of us went through this on the G8. The units had to be reprogrammed with the VIN of the new car. I don't remember if this was Bly required if you wanted to use on star as well.

If you google Chris White of White Auto and Media, he will be able to tell you. I know on the G8, when you did the swap, GM was no longer able to scan the car remotely for the diagnostics.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Ed Ski
Cruising

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
A bunch of us went through this on the G8. The units had to be reprogrammed with the VIN of the new car. I don't remember if this was Bly required if you wanted to use on star as well.

If you google Chris White of White Auto and Media, he will be able to tell you. I know on the G8, when you did the swap, GM was no longer able to scan the car remotely for the diagnostics.

Ok, I thought reprogramming might be an issue. I do not use the OnStar, so perhaps CoStar/Bluestar is a better way to go. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
HOTXFIL
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the CoSTAR Technologies Bluestar module in my '08 Z, have for about 2 years. I love this thing, works exactly as advertised.

- It disables OnStar completely without removing any of the components
- I have my module under the passenger seat, install/removal takes 2 minutes
- The unit's firmware can be upgraded in a couple of minutes with a USB cable/PC
- Battery drain issue was solved long ago. I've never had an issue
- Caller ID is supported in the latest firmware

If you're not sure what to get after you've gone through their website, just call or e-mail, they'll get you the right one.

I have no interest in or connection to this company. I just have one and love it.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Ed Ski
Cruising

Originally Posted by Z06 OCD
I have the CoSTAR Technologies Bluestar module in my '08 Z, have for about 2 years. I love this thing, works exactly as advertised.

- It disables OnStar completely without removing any of the components
- I have my module under the passenger seat, install/removal takes 2 minutes
- The unit's firmware can be upgraded in a couple of minutes with a USB cable/PC
- Battery drain issue was solved long ago. I've never had an issue
- Caller ID is supported in the latest firmware

If you're not sure what to get after you've gone through their website, just call or e-mail, they'll get you the right one.

I have no interest in or connection to this company. I just have one and love it.

Thanks... I have looked into this and I located my OnStar box in the rear compartment of my Vette....BlueStar DOES look simple to install. That's what I will probably do. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:12 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

If you were to upgrade to a newer onstar box that has BT on it you would also have to upgrade to a newer radio and then add the steering wheel buttons since they're what control the BT functions when you get a call. It would be easier to just replace the radio with aftermarket.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:51 AM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default i just bought bluefusion for my 2005

it plugs into the xm tuner in the left rear. phone works fine, audio synch with my BB works fine but i lost my xm -- "no signal" I thought i damaged the antenna but it doesn't seem to be. if anyone has had this problem please let me know.

model # bfcl2k

thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Ed Ski
Cruising

Thanks... I have looked into this and I located my OnStar box in the rear compartment of my Vette....BlueStar DOES look simple to install. That's what I will probably do. Thanks for the feedback!
As it turned out I went for the CoStar Bluestar ...it installed in minutes and functions very well! With my iPhone and Siri connected I can even send voice TEXT messages. Very happy with the product.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 AM
nickli
Intermediate

Where is the onstar unit in a 2008 vert?

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by nickli
Where is the onstar unit in a 2008 vert?

Thanks!
If it's the same as the 08 coupe, it's in the rear pocket on the passenger side. I pulled the carpet and lid up a bit and removed the inner liner of the pocket to get to the onstar box. Had to loosen up the wiring harness a bit to get enough slack to be able to mount the Bluestar somewhere that it wouldn't interfere, but it was an easy install (if that's what you're doing).
Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 PM
Ed Ski
Cruising

Originally Posted by 98Pace
If it's the same as the 08 coupe, it's in the rear pocket on the passenger side. I pulled the carpet and lid up a bit and removed the inner liner of the pocket to get to the onstar box. Had to loosen up the wiring harness a bit to get enough slack to be able to mount the Bluestar somewhere that it wouldn't interfere, but it was an easy install (if that's what you're doing).
I could not find a place to neatly fit it concealed behind the inner lining, but I do not use the compartment for storage, so I just left the BlueStar in the compartment and switched the plugs over.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:23 PM
98Pace
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I could not find a place to neatly fit it concealed behind the inner lining, but I do not use the compartment for storage, so I just left the BlueStar in the compartment and switched the plugs over.
I ended up mounting mine right beside the Onstar module on the front wall of the pocket, closer to the fender of the car. It's a bit snug as the liner sticks out just a bit there, but once I separated out the wires for plugs 3 and 4 I was able to fold the wires for plugs 1 and 2 far enough to be able to fit the Bluestar. I think it will stay in place with the liner pushing it against the wall of the pocket and a little bit of double sided tape.

Quick Reply: Convert Onstar to Bluetooth