Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can I Swap A Base 2006 U8 Stereo With Base 2009 U8 Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 AM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Can I Swap A Base 2006 U8 Stereo With Base 2009 U8 Stereo?

I have the stock, base 2006 U8 radio in my C6 now, single CD, No NAV, No XM. (had an Alpine at one time but that's another story)

I purchased a take out 2009 U8 stereo from a CF member that I'd like to install since it has the auxiliary jack for Ipod, etc.

I've done lots of searches in C6 Gen and on this forum and most have done 08 U8's to 07 U8 swaps. They claim the swap is possible if the dealer unlocks and codes the new radio with the BCM.

I haven't seen any threads on 09's going to 06' if that really matters?

I called a few local GM dealers and one said it can't be done, the other said they've never tried it but willing to give it a shot.

Anybody have any experience with a swap like this? Any Tech II techs out there that can verify?

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

It should work just fine. All of the C6 radios have the same plugs in the back, the later years just use more of the pins for the external features (steering wheel controls, bluetooth, whatever...).

Any external features your car isn't wired for clearly won't work any more, but once the dealer reprograms the radio with your VIN it should work.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM
KarlK
Team Owner

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
It should work just fine. All of the C6 radios have the same plugs in the back, the later years just use more of the pins for the external features (steering wheel controls, bluetooth, whatever...).

Any external features your car isn't wired for clearly won't work any more, but once the dealer reprograms the radio with your VIN it should work.
I finally found a local dealer that says he can do it. I'll be giving them a try.

You're right, the bluetooth feature won't work, no antennae, but that's no biggie.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I Swap A Base 2006 U8 Stereo With Base 2009 U8 Stereo?

Quick Reply: Can I Swap A Base 2006 U8 Stereo With Base 2009 U8 Stereo?