Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Running new speaker wire to passenger door -- 89

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 AM
shiner2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running new speaker wire to passenger door? -- 89

Other than my "intro" post, this is my first actual question, so hello to all. Just picked up my 89 CV last week and was freshening up the stereo this evening. One of the PO's has already bypassed the entire Bose system, so as the Vette came to me, there were Boston 4.5"s in the front doors and Boston 6x9's in the rear, as well as Blaupunkt HU. Anyway, I'm guessing the HU was about 10-12 years old and I am very partial to Alpines, so I installed a 9886 tonight. I balanced and faded to all four corners to check each speaker after the new deck went in and the front passenger speaker (in the door since its an 89) wasn't working. After pulling the speaker, it was pretty obvious why. It wasn't hooked up! I'm not sure what the hold up was, but whoever had done the previous install of the HU and speakers did a great job, including running new wire to all the speakers. They have actually ran the wire through the passenger side dash and there was about a foot and a half of speaker wire coiled up and just tucked under the dash just inside the door. I suppose they got lazy decided just to not go through the door on that one. Weird, I know. Sooooo, my long-winded question is, are there any tips or trick to running new wire through the factory rubber door grommet on the passenger door of an 89? I figure the previous installer stopped for a reason, but maybe it was just because it was 5:00, who knows.

Sorry for droning on and thanks in advance for any "tips and tricks" that anyone may have.

Last edited by shiner2001; 02-03-2010 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

if i recall its pretty easy on an 89. take a coat hanger bend it straight, you prly only need half of it. tape the wire to it, maybe put a lil soap on it as lube and work it through
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can literally reach through the accordion and grab the wire. It's probably easier to run it THROUGH the door than around it!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:40 PM
shiner2001
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off comes the panel today then, thanks guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Running new speaker wire to passenger door -- 89

Quick Reply: Running new speaker wire to passenger door -- 89