Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Poor vocal quality on Sirius after 3 1/2" coax swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:22 AM
rcmigpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor vocal quality on Sirius after 3 1/2" coax swap

I swapped some Polk 3 1/2" coaxes for the twiddlers in my C6 non-nav Bose a while back. What I've noticed is that when I listed to any of the comedy channels, or a news program where someone is speaking in an enviroment other than a studio, the voices are sometimes very hard to hear. Its happens at least half the time. I can't compare the stock sound because I ditched the the stock speakers and switched to Sirius when I added the Polks. I've got Sirius in two other vehicles and while the recordings of some of the performances are pretty bad I don't have problems understanding the comedian like I do in the Vette. The speakers appear to be working and music sounds better, just not spoken voices. Both speakers are connected with the small stock blade connector to the small blade on the speaker and the larger to the larger so I don't think I have a phasing issue. I'm going have the door panels off for some sound deadening and door latch adjustments so now would be a good time to test or change anything.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:21 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Whenever I listen to a football game in the car I always end up changing the equalizer settings so I can understand the announcers better. I just change the 'staging' settings with the push of a button on my D3, but on the stock CD player I think you'd just have to turn down the bass setting.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The Bose amp applies EQ in an effort to create a 'pseudo tweeter' effect from their standard issue paper cone full range speaker. I'm using the term loosely.

If your Polk's are a higher impedance than the OEM you might have a balance issue with the 'sub'.

Also try disconnecting the center channel speaker if you haven't already. Or did you replace that as well? Fade out your rear speakers too. My $.02.

As Mark advised, try some EQ. He's wise but misguided in his adoration of a specific NFL team. Forgivable I suppose given the time of year.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:30 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
He's wise but misguided in his adoration of a specific NFL team. Forgivable I suppose given the time of year.
6 And that's all I've got to say 'bout that

Get notified of new replies

To Poor vocal quality on Sirius after 3 1/2" coax swap

Quick Reply: Poor vocal quality on Sirius after 3 1/2" coax swap