Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What's the easiest path for routing amp power to battery in C5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 05:49 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What's the easiest path for routing amp power to battery in C5?

Does the carpet or seat have to come out or anything? Or is it a pretty simple and direct path down the firewall, along the side/under the threshhold plastic by the door, etc?
Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Through a grommet top left side of the driver side footwell. Should be a large grommet that you can locate on engine compartment side, cut a small cross in it, WD40 up the wire, and pull it through.

I have 4 gauge through that hole and routed down under the carpet, was not too hard.

Check the FAQ, might have pics

G'luck
Fej
Old 07-16-2010, 10:42 PM
KCvetteowner
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used an existing hole/grommet just behind the battery on the passenger side. Pushed two 4 gauge wires thru for my amps and ran them along the passenger side. As you remove the trim on the passenger side, you will find the factory ground point on the frame just outside of the passenger seat near the seat belt anchors, if my memory serves me correctly. Some use the passenger seat rear bolt for ground but you will have the factory ground exposed running the wires back so use it instead.

I brought my power up the passenger side and signal wires up the driver side.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I ran the main amp power wire from the battery compartment, through the passenger-side firewall and into the cabin via a large grommet behind the battery tray.

Ran it along the outer edge of the floor.

I used the ground on the passenger side near the seatbelt mount. Very easy to get to.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:16 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Thanks, guys. I'm about to run my power wire today and the pictures really help. Will it be possible to run the wires without pulling out the passenger seat?
The following users liked this post:
okie08vette (12-26-2015)
Old 07-24-2010, 01:23 PM
slplank
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMc
Thanks, guys. I'm about to run my power wire today and the pictures really help. Will it be possible to run the wires without pulling out the passenger seat?
I ran my wires along the door sill area under the carpet and no need to remove the seats at all.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:29 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by slplank
I ran my wires along the door sill area under the carpet and no need to remove the seats at all.
That's music to my ears. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2010, 02:01 PM
slplank
Instructor

One other thing I should mention, it is best not to run your speaker wires near the power wire or you may get some "noise".
Old 07-24-2010, 06:27 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Thanks, no the power wire is running by itself and isn't near any audio wires. Man getting that 4 gauge through the grommet and being able to find it to pull through was a MAJOR hassle for me, but I stuck with it and finally prevailed. The power is run, the ground is ground to the metal piece under my waterfall (I hope that will suffice) and after a dip in the pool to regroup and cool off, I'll remove the center console and run the sub line outs to where the amp is going to be. All that will be left at that point is running the speaker outs on the amp to the new sub and connecting the battery back up for some sound tuning. Long day, big job, but well worth it, I'm expecting.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:02 PM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

This thread helped alot i was JUST gonna start running my power wires today. i will run my RCA's thru the center console on mine along the drivers side and then shoot it across. Mines getting mounted behind the seat and i'm gonna use about 6" self tapping screws to screw right into the back of the car *sarcasm* I will probably just leave the amp sitting behind there
Old 03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ColeTrain'sC5
This thread helped alot i was JUST gonna start running my power wires today. i will run my RCA's thru the center console on mine along the drivers side and then shoot it across. Mines getting mounted behind the seat and i'm gonna use about 6" self tapping screws to screw right into the back of the car *sarcasm* I will probably just leave the amp sitting behind there
If you glue a piece of hardwood under the carpet you can attach the amp to that and won't have to worry about it moving around. Check out this thread for a good way to do it.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:23 PM
James2000
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
If you glue a piece of hardwood under the carpet you can attach the amp to that and won't have to worry about it moving around. Check out this thread for a good way to do it.
Just another idea here. Put masking tape on carpet , mark amp holes, poke holes, lift carpet put screws with a washer in each hole under neath coming through carpet and a washer or two on top with an acorn nut for a clean look and u will have no lump under the carpet from wood. I am guessing that running amp remote wire really doesn't matter, Down the side or through the console?

Get notified of new replies

To What's the easiest path for routing amp power to battery in C5?

Quick Reply: What's the easiest path for routing amp power to battery in C5?