Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

JL Audio or Hertz? Opinion wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 PM
madcadr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JL Audio or Hertz? Opinion wanted

UPDATE: Made my decision - See 9 posts down below if interested. Thanks for the replies

I am about to make a decision between 2 stereo shops - One sells JL Audio - The other Hertz.

I like the 3 year manufacturer warranty of the Hertz. And, I really like the sound.

But, before I decide this week - I wanted to get some opinions from some forum members who have a better knowledge on "Systems" than I do.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by madcadr; 10-16-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Tyteflows
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Hertz all the way man, I purchased four 6 1/2 inch 2 ways about a year and a half ago and I abuse them like crazy and they sound like the day I bought them. Simply amazing speaker, you won't be disappointed. You need to power them with an amp though.

I was skeptical at first but after listening to them on the showcase wall at the stereo shop, they sounded far better than the others including Boston Acoustics, Alpine, JLaudio, etc.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 PM
snoopdan
Drifting

Have you considered the online audio companies like FI Car Audio, Mach 5 Audio, AudioQue?

They offer amazing product support (like, you can call the company owner and chat)

Just sayn'
Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 PM
Lancejoker
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hertz no contest
Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

I have JL C5-650 components, XR-525 coax, JL Amps 450/4v2 and 300/2v2 and a JL Stealthbox in my C6 coupe. I couldnt be happier with the quality of sound and the volume, as needed.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 AM
madcadr
Racer

Originally Posted by NYC6
I have JL C5-650 components, XR-525 coax, JL Amps 450/4v2 and 300/2v2 and a JL Stealthbox in my C6 coupe. I couldnt be happier with the quality of sound and the volume, as needed.

What head unit are you running?

I was looking at the Kenwood Kivbt900...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:54 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Kenwood DDX8019
Old 10-16-2010, 12:55 PM
we3hokies
Racer

One more vote for Hertz. Heard some of their higher end subs at a "stereo comp/show" a few years back. Very impressive. The subs I heard had the cast baskets.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:44 PM
madcadr
Racer

Before I start my short novel below - I would like to acknowledge and "Thank" RICK at RaamAudio.com for his TIME he spent with me during my decision process.

I Decided on my system - Will be installed this Thursday.

I went with Hertz and Audison.

The reasons I chose this were the following:

1 - Hertz and Audison are higher end equipment - And, through all of my research - I found that the bottom line is this: Everyone has an opinion about what is best, cheaper, better way, etc... So, finally realizing this - I went with what I actually heard and liked - And, it sounded good-enough to me. Whatever system I chose would be 100x better than the STOCK NON-BOSE system (Which does not even have a tweeter...)

2 - I got what I believe to be a fair price - Sure, higher than I would like - And, more than what I could piece it together myself for - But, doing buisiness locally (2 miles away) and I expect them to make $$$ because they are in business to make $$$$ - I just didn't want to be "Robbed" - And, after all of my research, I feel confident that I am not.

3 - The entire system is bought and installed by a local company that has been there for 20 years and has business liabilty insurance. I do NOT want to be responcible for any electronics in a 2008 50k vette.... Not at this point (Unemployed - Don't need any headaches right now like that). There will be no "Passing-of-the-buck" as one place will do it all vs. if I did it myself (Or some of it to save $$$). To me, that has value in-and-of-itself.

4 - I have 0% financing for 18 months (On top of the fair price I got). So, I do not have to part with actual cash - Which I will not do until I get a full-time gig. So, have plenty of breathing room.

5 - Originally I was going to "Trade" Services with this shop because they want to enclose their sound room and also add another small office (And, I do remodeling) - But, that is on hold for the time being. I am NOT assured that they will use me anyways - But, there is a chance to recoupe some of my monies from them. And, since they are 2 miles away, if they build themselves - You better bet my connections with the city that there will be a building inspector fining them $500 a day without a permit.... Ha, Ha....

6 - There is a 3 YEAR warranty on Hertz and Audison equipment (Unlike 1-2 year factory warranties for most other systems). Jl was 1 year.

7 - They are giving me 30 days to try the system. If I decide that the amp I chose was too small, They will exchange for a bigger one at 50% off of the difference in price, no restocking fee, and no-charge for the "Change-Out".

I will have the unit installed on Thursday - I will let everyone know what I think.

Oh yea, before anyone asks: "If your unemployed - Why are you spending $$$$ on a luxery?" GREAT QUESTION. Here is my responce in advance - Ha, Ha.....

1 - I have "0" debt. Everything is paid for.
2 - My disabled parents live with me - And, we are Italian.... Sometimes I feel like there is no "Escape" from this situation - Ha, Ha... (I love my family and am joking). However, I have NO stereo in the house because I would not feel comfortable "Cranking" up my Rock while my parents are watching TV, Naping alot (As old people do...) So, my car stereo is my only way to induldge in my Soothing Music.
3 - I just turned 40 and have no significant other or kids - So, what the heck - I treated myself....
4 - I am selling stuff that I do NOT use (Like my gold rope chain, exercise machine, etc... To help pay for this).
5 - If the ship ends up going "Down" (The economy, work, etc...) - Then, I am going "Down" in style.... (That may have been my bi-polar that just kicked in...Ha)

Sorry so long, Just wanted to get my "Rationalizing" out of my system - Ha, Ha....

Marc

P.S. - Does anyone know if I can get some $$$ for my stock HU - And, if so, How much should I list it for?

Last edited by madcadr; 10-16-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:04 PM
BigDs_C6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by madcadr
I found that the bottom line is this: Everyone has an opinion about what is best, cheaper, better way, etc... So, finally realizing this - I went with what I actually heard and liked - And, it sounded good-enough to me.

When you first posted this thread, your logic above is exactly what I wanted to reply with. You stated that you listened to both and the Hertz sounded better to you... in my opinion that's what matters the most. Good decision, keep us up to date on the install.

D
Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I very much enjoyed our talks, messages etc and glad you found what works for you buddy

Rick
Old 10-17-2010, 12:18 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Got specifics on all the pieces you went with? We love to hear that stuff. Keep us updated and review when done. Congrats in advance.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Lancejoker
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to hearing your opinions after it is installed. I have an Audison LRx series amp and Hertz Mille ML3000 sub waiting to be installed with the rest of my system and I can't wait to hear it.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Tyteflows
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

congratulations!! excellent decision, i am VERY confident you will not regret your decision as long as your amp wattage is matched with your speakers

ENJOY!!
Old 10-17-2010, 01:49 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

If you wish send over a list of what the system is going to be and how installed. I do not know the shop but in my experience, few actually know what they are doing setting up a proper sound stage, matching gear, deadening correctly, sad but true.

--------------
"Error" on the high side for powering speakers and subs, the more the better as long as you keep the gains set right. Higher dynamic range, faster response, all good stuff

I am installing XS 69 mids in my truck doors and 250 watts per channel to feed them, 75 per for the tweeters and 500 for the single sub, not sure if using an IDQ10V3 or the 12, I think I can sqeeze in the 12.

If not for two huge dogs I would run 3 subs and 2kw or so

Normally I would never use 6x9's as all but a few ever designed distort like mad, these do not and get it on quite well and play low enough I can keep the sub down when the dogs are in the truck.

Rick
Old 10-17-2010, 06:16 PM
madcadr
Racer

Boy o Boy, Now that is a "Loaded" question.... Ha, Ha... If I post what I actually got - Then, I run the risk of the experts who have done steroes for 20+ years "Thinking" or "Stating" that "I made a bad decision...".

(Being installed on Thursday so might as well find out what you think in case I made a bad decision (On equipment that is) - I signed the storecredit card - But, never took possession of the equipment yet.... (Not that I am backing out - But, if more than one expert on here says I did not get a good system - I will have to rethink cancelling - Ha, Ha...)

O.K - Here goes:

1 - Kenwood KIV-BT900 (I am very happy with this - LARGE 3" LCD screen - Very clear - Never really listen to CDs - Just Radio.)

2 - Audison SR4 (I asked if this amp was too small for the 10" - He said that it is in the Lower end on the watts - But it is "Clean" power.. Whatever... Thats why he is giving me 30 days to try the amp... Of course, I have a budget - And, he said larger of course is more$$$$ - And, if later on I want better - I can get a more wattage monoblock and use this one to run fronts and rears.) My ONLY concern is that the amp is too big in size. I really do NOT want it behind my seat - But, rather UNDER it. No power seat on Passenger side - May fit under there???....

3 - Hertz ESK 165.4

4 - Hertz ES 250 D.4

I am getting charged $250 for the sound deadening for the front doors only (Installed) He said enough to do about 80% of the door. If I am getting screwed on this - Let me know and I can buy the material from Rammat and install it myself before I give them the car... I really don't want to - But, if we are talking about $100 or more - Then, I will do it myself before Thursday.

Thanks - Please don't be brutal.... My nerves can't take it today - Ha, Ha...

Marc
Old 10-22-2010, 08:07 PM
madcadr
Racer

Got my system installed and back tonight.

First impressions:

Not AS happy as I thought I would be. The system is alot clearer. Highs are crisp, etc... And, the bass is great at higher volume. However, the bass seems to diminish as I turn the volume down.

I don't know if the amp is not large enough, or if it just because I have a single 10".

They built a custom box on the passengers side so that the targa top will fit - I don't know if they got the full .65 cubic ft required for the Hertz 10".... They said that they put some sort of foam in there to make the sub think that there is more room in the box than there is???.... I may take the 10" out tommorrow and start to pour .65 cubic ft. of sand in there to see if there is enough space - Then, vaccuum the sand out.

I LOVE the Kivbt900 head unit. And, I love the clarity of the music compared to my NON-Bose syatem. But, a little apprehensive on the loss of bass at lower volumes.

Any opinions?

Also, they had to "Jump Start" my car afterwards. They said that I might need a new battery. The car is 2 years old with 14k miles on it. So, I assume that would be covered under warranty? The car shows 13.5 volts according to the drivers electronic instrament display.

I asked them if I had to worry about battery issues (Drainage) with this system and they said "No".

Also, the car REEKS of fiberglass - I hope it will cure and stop smelling so bad - Anything I can do to speed that up?

See above post for equipment schedule if interested.

Thanks,

Marc

Get notified of new replies

To JL Audio or Hertz? Opinion wanted

Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Lower frequency at lower listening levels results in less bass heard. It is our ears, that is why it is nice to have a bass level control that is easy to adjust.

If your amp cannot do that then you might have to adjust at the HU all the time.

OR, have them install an inline control you can easily access and they would then adjust the gain at the amp(possibly HU as well which if they know how to set up a proper gain stage no worries at all

This is how you do it, set the amps gain controls to zero, set the HU to just under full max output to give the best S/N and Dynamic range. Then adjust the gains on the amps to the highest level without clipping.

If adding a bass level control in the middle, a bit more to it but any decent installer can work that out in a few minutes.

Rick
Old 10-22-2010, 08:42 PM
madcadr
Racer

Thanks Rick.

Boy there is a BIG difference between the radio songs and the USB thumb drive songs. The USB songs have great bass. The radio doesn't seem to have as much bass.

I am taking it back in the AM because there are 3 things I noticed:

1 - There are 2 scratches on my new HU - Hope they are not jerks about it - But, it is new....
2 - When the sound is all the way down - I hear a constant sound out of the sub in the rear....????
3 - My rear cargo lights do not work now. The lights used to come on when I opened the rear hatch....

Oh well, I'm not going to cry over spilled milk - Ha, Ha.... Not that I am not happy - Just expected a little more on the low volume bass.

Marc
Old 10-22-2010, 09:32 PM
NYC6
Team Owner

Not an expert like some here but I'll offer my novice opinion. Your Sub has 250w RMS and 500w peak specs. I dont think your amp is giving it enough juice at all! Your fronts need more power also, they have 125w RMS/250w peak.. IMO

Last edited by NYC6; 10-22-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Quick Reply: JL Audio or Hertz? Opinion wanted