Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C6 Show Me Your Subs

Old 06-28-2011, 05:28 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by 00Hawk#140
Can someone tell me if you loose much sound quality with having the sub in the back rear corner ? I was told by one installer it should be placed like the one in this last posters. I really cant put one there and have a custom enclosure in the back corner and plan on having a bigger enclosure build in the same area, I have a ID idq d2 v3 10Sub and i really want it to sound it's best. If I go with a sealed 1ft box in a kinda triangular shape would that sound ok ? Or should I shoot for 1.2 ft ? I listen to mostly heavy metal music (korn/hellyeah,godsmack) and want decent fast kick drums etc out of the sub.

I know this isn't my orig post but it might help the orig poster too

thx
imo differnece will be minimal enough that you wont even notice it
Old 06-29-2011, 12:51 PM
patb23
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's mine:

Old 06-29-2011, 03:01 PM
IAS
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeadPapago

I have to ask if this was done by Bing @ Simplicity in Sound?

Originally Posted by 00Hawk#140
Can someone tell me if you loose much sound quality with having the sub in the back rear corner ? I was told by one installer it should be placed like the one in this last posters. I really cant put one there and have a custom enclosure in the back corner and plan on having a bigger enclosure build in the same area, I have a ID idq d2 v3 10Sub and i really want it to sound it's best. If I go with a sealed 1ft box in a kinda triangular shape would that sound ok ? Or should I shoot for 1.2 ft ? I listen to mostly heavy metal music (korn/hellyeah,godsmack) and want decent fast kick drums etc out of the sub.

I know this isn't my orig post but it might help the orig poster too

thx
based on the sub you are using, I am guessing you are going more for a sound quality performance instead of high spl. In this case you will not really notice much difference in the performance; by placing the enclosure centered with you sub firing to the rear of the vehicle you can effectively extend the soundwave of the speaker to put you closer to the "Near Field" of the wave making it sound louder.

In the Vette, most often the subs must be either angled up or is fired closer to straight up which in the end will result in a similar result due to reflections off the rear glass and the hard panels of the trim.

The subs will work ok in a 1 cu.ft enclosure but will reduce the RMS power handling be sure to pack the enclosure with polyfil. this will help with the lowend response and defusing of the backwaves, giving you a tighter more accurate response.

Last edited by IAS; 06-29-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:31 PM
00Hawk#140
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also wonder what the best rms wattage to put on the sub. It's rated to about 350rms. I'm looking at using a massive audio amp NX5, it has the same specs as thier N2 ( the sub side), which makes 250-320 rms depending on the THD you push it to. The cart shows 1% thd at 360rms and at 0.2 thd its at 320w rms at 4 ohm loads. I want a clean sound and wonder if this is a good choice ? The massive NX5 is a 5 channel that is a/b one side and the sub is class D. I've never had a class D amp. I like the size 15"x5.25"x2" . Seems not too many know this amp, but it got decent reviews on some sites. Its stable at 1 ohm on the sub side. FWIW.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM
HeadPapago
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IAS
I have to ask if this was done by Bing @ Simplicity in Sound?

based on the sub you are using, I am guessing you are going more for a sound quality performance instead of high spl. In this case you will not really notice much difference in the performance; by placing the enclosure centered with you sub firing to the rear of the vehicle you can effectively extend the soundwave of the speaker to put you closer to the "Near Field" of the wave making it sound louder.

In the Vette, most often the subs must be either angled up or is fired closer to straight up which in the end will result in a similar result due to reflections off the rear glass and the hard panels of the trim.

The subs will work ok in a 1 cu.ft enclosure but will reduce the RMS power handling be sure to pack the enclosure with polyfil. this will help with the lowend response and defusing of the backwaves, giving you a tighter more accurate response.
Yes, it was done by Bing @ Simplicity in Sound
Old 08-14-2011, 02:19 PM
sgrubbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A Different Approach...

Inspired by the Ford GT40 and Viper sub placement. Not too big (8"), but a 1000% improvement over stock. Digital Alpine 4 Channel Amp is mounted in the rear cubby. The custom box is merely pressure fit over the wall behind the seats and although not depicted in the pictures, I used a black flexible door guard to fill the 1/4 space between the base of the box and the center console. Roof still mounts in the trunk using the original brackets. Looks and sounds excellent installed.

On The Stand

Through the Windshield

Inside the Car

Profile Shot

The Ride

Old 08-14-2011, 05:04 PM
naviracer23
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the setup I just finished for a customer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Show Me Your Subs