Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Which FRONT view cam and where to mount?

Old 04-07-2011, 07:34 PM
DC321
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which FRONT view cam and where to mount?

I am installing the new Kenwood DNX9980HD, and have a rear view license plate cam. I am also installing a front camera, but do not know which one or where to mount it.

Thanks for your suggestions
Old 04-07-2011, 08:21 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DC321
I am installing the new Kenwood DNX9980HD, and have a rear view license plate cam. I am also installing a front camera, but do not know which one or where to mount it.

Thanks for your suggestions
been there, done that!
first thing you need to know is that if your kenwood has a prevision for a front and rear mounted camera then you must buy the kenwood camera if you want it to work.

having said that i rigged up a relay and a hidden push button that turns on the rear camera via backup wire input to the HU. then in the same instance disconnects the rear cam and connects the front cam via a relay.
i found my front camera on ebay for only a dollar! plus 14 bucks shipping from china. i figured what the hell for 15 bucks ill give it a shot. ill be damn if it didnt show up 2 weeks later!
its a simple backup camera and i mounted it right under the front bumper in the grille area.
the only bad thing is the image is reversed because it supposed to be mounted in the back. so left is right and right is left. but i can see the parking blocks and exactly how close to them i am asi pull up. i can get within inches without hitting them!
i figure if it goes bad from water or debris hitting it its worth 15 bucks to get another and ill just throw it away if its bad.
so far i have had it for about 6 months without issue. image quality is better than i expected and serves exactly the purpose i bought it for.

i plan to install a 4 channel DVR in the car eventually that will monitor the rear, a windshield mounted camera and the front cam. if i ever get in an accident what wasnt my fault it will be impossible to place blame on me with that evidence. (it has happned before)
also thought about rigging up a timer to continue recording an hour after i park just in the event someone hits the car while entering or exiting a parking space it will get a plate number.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:26 PM
DC321
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was reading about the Kenwood unit and thought that I might need to get the CMOS300 from what I read.
I did speak with Dennis from DD, and he said I could use any cam.

I am glad your's works for 6 months, and I saw some for $20 on Ebay, and thought I might give it a shot. Also, if it goes bad or gets hit, I can swap it out pretty quickly....IF I CAN USE IT.

I will have to call Kenwood and Crutchfield. I do not want to drop $200 on a cam that will get ruined, but I do want to avoid the parking bumpers. I already put the fangs on to prevent some damage.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 AM
wiganlee
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes ,the bass mechanic is to the point .

Thr front view camera can be palced on the front grilled or the badge .

If the palce the front view camera onto the badge , that the angle is fixed .

But if you install on the grill area ,that you can change the angle or choose the right angle as you want .
Old 08-31-2011, 05:13 PM
patb23
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
been there, done that!
first thing you need to know is that if your kenwood has a prevision for a front and rear mounted camera then you must buy the kenwood camera if you want it to work.

having said that i rigged up a relay and a hidden push button that turns on the rear camera via backup wire input to the HU. then in the same instance disconnects the rear cam and connects the front cam via a relay.
i found my front camera on ebay for only a dollar! plus 14 bucks shipping from china. i figured what the hell for 15 bucks ill give it a shot. ill be damn if it didnt show up 2 weeks later!
its a simple backup camera and i mounted it right under the front bumper in the grille area.
the only bad thing is the image is reversed because it supposed to be mounted in the back. so left is right and right is left. but i can see the parking blocks and exactly how close to them i am asi pull up. i can get within inches without hitting them!
i figure if it goes bad from water or debris hitting it its worth 15 bucks to get another and ill just throw it away if its bad.
so far i have had it for about 6 months without issue. image quality is better than i expected and serves exactly the purpose i bought it for.

i plan to install a 4 channel DVR in the car eventually that will monitor the rear, a windshield mounted camera and the front cam. if i ever get in an accident what wasnt my fault it will be impossible to place blame on me with that evidence. (it has happned before)
also thought about rigging up a timer to continue recording an hour after i park just in the event someone hits the car while entering or exiting a parking space it will get a plate number.
Do you have any pics of where you placed that front camera? I was thinking about adding a front camera as well but not sure where to place it and how it would look.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:47 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

you can use any camera just hook it to the video input and switch inputs when you want it
Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 PM
wiganlee
2nd Gear

Default ya

Originally Posted by patb23
Do you have any pics of where you placed that front camera? I was thinking about adding a front camera as well but not sure where to place it and how it would look.
If you need to see the pics , please check the badge front view camera type on this site : http://zhd-autocamera.blogspot.com/
There were few types like Honda ,Toyota , Benz , VW ··i may not know if there was one type fit for your car or not , but any way ,it was a ref for you to know how was adding a front camera into the car .
Old 08-31-2011, 11:50 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by patb23
i dont have a pic but its just stuck with come velcrow under the bumper (bottom of the top part of the opening) in the center, its small so you can only see it if you stoop down and look.

it only cost me 1.00 on ebay and 14.00 shipping. its getting pitted by sand on the road but still works fine and for the price they are disposal at that price.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:17 PM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

i dont have a pic but its just stuck with come velcrow under the bumper (bottom of the top part of the opening) in the center, its small so you can only see it if you stoop down and look.

it only cost me 1.00 on ebay and 14.00 shipping. its getting pitted by sand on the road but still works fine and for the price they are disposal at that price.
how did you route the wire into your cabin. I'm sure I can figure it out but since you have already done it I thought I'd ask.
The following users liked this post:
onemortoy (10-15-2016)
Old 09-23-2011, 05:50 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Dumb question. What is the purpose of a front facing camera? I understand the purpose of the rear facing camera...my wife uses it all the time on her Accord. If the rear camera only comes on when backing up, does a front camera come on when going forward? Do people use it for parking? Just wondering! thx
Old 09-23-2011, 06:07 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
Dumb question. What is the purpose of a front facing camera? I understand the purpose of the rear facing camera...my wife uses it all the time on her Accord. If the rear camera only comes on when backing up, does a front camera come on when going forward? Do people use it for parking? Just wondering! thx
wait till you mess up the whole front end of your car from hitting a parking block you did not see and youll understand why.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 PM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm assuming the Nav unit is typically on either a map or stereo display. Do you hit a button to bring up the camera as you're parking?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:05 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
I'm assuming the Nav unit is typically on either a map or stereo display. Do you hit a button to bring up the camera as you're parking?
on the kenwood 9980HD if you have kenwood cameras installed you press and hold the audio button for 2 secs and the front cam comes on. the rear comes on while in reverse.
i dont have kenwood cameras so i installed a relay and a hidden momentary switch that activates the camera in front when i need it. i just hold the button as i park
Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a link to an install and pics.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/audi...-camera-2.html
Old 02-24-2018, 12:04 PM
C6_427
1st Gear

been there, done that!

All you need to do is clip the white and green wires. I had the same issue. The green is for the lines and the white is for flipping image if used for front cam.

Get notified of new replies

To Which FRONT view cam and where to mount?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which FRONT view cam and where to mount?