Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best fronts for the C5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're a few hundred miles from me, so I'm afraid I don't have any good suggestions for your area. There are so many in the LA area that you can throw a rock and hit one. You might search the SoCal forum and see if there are any recommendations there...

I'm really lucky and have an awesome high-end customs guy (Walnut Creek Customs) that is half-way between my house and office and he does literally anything you want to a car from fluids changes to custom fab interior/exterior, to full frame-off resto-mods. When I dropped the car off with him last Friday he had a Lambo Murci, Aston DB9, 90's Rolls Limo, two Range Rovers, a 2012 AMG ML, and a 30' Motor Coach (about to get a $40k A/V system). It's like a car show every time I visit.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:12 PM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

IMO u can do better then the JLs at that pricepoint part of JL is paying for the name
Old 05-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
IMO u can do better then the JLs at that pricepoint part of JL is paying for the name
As you said earlier, a lot has to do with your personal taste and what you're trying to achieve. I've had a lot of different component speakers in several different cars (Boston, JL, Alpine, Focal, Eclipse - can't remember the specific models, most are probably out of production now). The only ones that I think get close to my JLs in terms of sound quality are a set of Focals I had in my last Mustang.

What would you recommend at that same price-point? I'm thinking of adding a third pair to my set-up, so if you've got a good solution in mind, I'm all ears.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:44 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to go with the focals ...but at a higher price point .
Old 05-03-2011, 08:06 AM
clekchaum
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob04C5LM
As you said earlier, a lot has to do with your personal taste and what you're trying to achieve. I've had a lot of different component speakers in several different cars (Boston, JL, Alpine, Focal, Eclipse - can't remember the specific models, most are probably out of production now). The only ones that I think get close to my JLs in terms of sound quality are a set of Focals I had in my last Mustang.

What would you recommend at that same price-point? I'm thinking of adding a third pair to my set-up, so if you've got a good solution in mind, I'm all ears.
which focals did you have because my utopia 165w blew those JL's out the water in terms of sound quality.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Originally Posted by clekchaum
which focals did you have because my utopia 165w blew those JL's out the water in terms of sound quality.
Honestly can't remember. I sold the car two years ago and got the speakers three years before that. They weren't the TOP of the line, but the ones right under that at the time. Great speakers, but when I went to purchase for my vette the price difference between the Focals I was looking at and the JLs I got were nearly double and the sound quality was pretty comparable in the demo room.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:07 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I guess that's it then , Focals are the best front speakers for the C5 .
Case closed
Old 05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, unless you don't like speakers that tend to be bright.

Sounds like Rob might have listened to the previous Polykevlar line with the ... Tn-47 tweeter.

Quick Reply: Best fronts for the C5 ?