Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Upgrade for 2008 Coupe in stages

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Craig P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Upgrade for 2008 Coupe in stages

I am very new to the world of audio and would first like say this is truly an amazing resource for information and learning. That so many people give so freely of their hard earned knowledge and valuable time is just astounding.

I have several questions for all of the experts/vendors here.

I am looking at upgrading the sound system in my 2008 Corvette Coupe which has the (non-nav) Bose system.

I eventually want to replace the head unit with a high end Kenwood with nav but can’t afford that step yet.

My goal is to upgrade the speaker system first and then put the Kenwood unit in later.

The components I currently have are a Kicker ZX350.4 4-channel speaker amp with 350 watts RMS, Polk Audio DB351 3.5 inch coaxial front speakers and Polk Audio DB521 5.25 inch rear speakers.

These will be connected using the PAC ADD-GM24 modified (per TheKomoman method) to send the line level signals to the amp for the front and rear speakers.

I was not planning on replacing the Bose 10 inch subs in the doors.

I would also like to add tweeters in the front pillars.
My questions are how to do this?
What are the best tweeters to use?
How to wire them?
Does anyone supply modified pillars to do this?
I would be interested in all suggestions and also suggestions and prices from vendors.

Any suggestions to mount the amp so it will not be seen?

Also, will all these speakers, etc. work well with a Kenwood unit when I can afford to upgrade.

Is there a better choice such as replacing the Bose subs with something else?

I am not too crazy about taking up room in the back to install a rear sub.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

thanks to a lot of advice from members on this forum, i have recently upgraded components of my system. the biggest problem that i ran into, which may or may not apply to you, is that you may have interference in the speakers when using the stock head unit with an aftermarket amp. this will likely lead to a head unit upgrade that i was trying to avoid.

with good speakers in the doors you really do not need any speakers in the rear and you do not need a center. i have polk audio mm6501 component speakers in the doors and they sound great. you can find them for $180.

i think Rick from Raam Audio mentioned something about producing an a-pillar that has a tweeter mount, but i could be mistaken. all of the a-pillar mounts that i have seen on this forum have been a custom job.

your amp mounting locations are a little more limited. an alpine pdx amp will fit in the rear cubby, but your kicker amp is a little bit larger so i am not sure it will fit. amps do not fit under our c6 seats. you can install the amp behind the seat back, but will lose leg room or you can install in the hatch area in a custom made sled. Dave Hale at Madvette Motorsports makes amp sleds.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Craig P
Racer

Thanks
Old 05-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Craig P
Racer

Any tweeter advice?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:42 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

if you get a set of component speakers (like the polk audio mm6501) then you will have a 6.5 inch mid-range driver and a tweeter connected to a crossover. This will simplify some of your wiring. You will need an adapter plate which you can get from nakidparts or Raam Audio.

If you intend to get a separate tweeter and to use your 3.5 inch speaker then you will have to figure out whether you are wiring the speakers to your amp in series or parallel and also have to figure out which method will have a load that your amp can handle.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 PM
FrankZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do what I did with my tweeters. I bought an extra set of a-pillars off ebay. Then, I angle surface mounted them and installed the wiring. You can get crazy and have the tweeters molded in to the a-pillars, but that will cost about $300 just for labor. I bought a set of a-pillars for $50 shipped and I installed them myself. Here is a link to my install with all the pics....
The pics are on page 3 in the middle.
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/k...cpZZ1QQtppZZ24
Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Craig P
Racer

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Upgrade for 2008 Coupe in stages

Quick Reply: Upgrade for 2008 Coupe in stages