Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket HU power tie in's

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 AM
x_newfie_x
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket HU power tie in's

Ok, I am new at this and have a couple of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Car is a 2002 Z06.

1. Can I just tap into the cigerette lighter for power and ground?

2. Fuse 22. i have read this to be an option. If I were to go here, how do I tie in to the empty fuse bay? What do I use to fasten the acc wire to the fuse bay? I tried connector ends, however they seem to lose.

3. Would there be any problems if I run the acc wire straight to the battery post?

I tied into the beige wire on the HVAC unit for the illum feed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:45 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by x_newfie_x
Ok, I am new at this and have a couple of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Car is a 2002 Z06.

1. Can I just tap into the cigerette lighter for power and ground?

2. Fuse 22. i have read this to be an option. If I were to go here, how do I tie in to the empty fuse bay? What do I use to fasten the acc wire to the fuse bay? I tried connector ends, however they seem to lose.

3. Would there be any problems if I run the acc wire straight to the battery post?

I tied into the beige wire on the HVAC unit for the illum feed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
what are you using for harness?
a gm harness
or keeping factory speakers and using a harness sucj as an roem-vet1(recommended) or the metra xsv1-2004?

here is some more info for you to see how things are wired
http://www.doubledmods.com/Installation.php
Old 06-19-2011, 05:45 PM
x_newfie_x
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not using any harness's. Alpine HU, pdx 5 amp, 6.5 type r componets, and 5.25 in the rears.

I picked up a fuse majigger from canadian tire (10 amp). Plugges it in to fuse 22 spot, and using that for the power to the deck. I tapped into a ground from one of the harness's from the stock hu. I also used splitters for the rca's and a single set running from the sub rca spot.

Going to hook up the amp after super and test it with the speakers. If all goes well, i can start putting everything back together and mount the amp.

One question though. The illum wire from the head unit. I hooked it up to the beige wire from the HVAC unit. It seemed to work opposite for me. When I dimmed the dash lights the function buttons on the hu got brighter, so i just disconnted the illum wire. Where are you supposet o hook the illum wire up too? Not a big deal I guess, I dont use the dimmer anyway.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:14 PM
stymie222
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Factory radio/wattage

Would like to only replace the 4 speakers, in my 2005 C6.
About how many watts does the original factory radio, put out ?
Looking at 4 Focal 165's which have 90db sensitivity @ 1Watt. Could that unit work, until I save the money for a new head unit, amplifier and sub ?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2019, 10:00 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by stymie222
Would like to only replace the 4 speakers, in my 2005 C6.
About how many watts does the original factory radio, put out ?
Looking at 4 Focal 165's which have 90db sensitivity @ 1Watt. Could that unit work, until I save the money for a new head unit, amplifier and sub ?

Thanks
It's not going to work if you plan on keeping the factory amp. The factory amp has crossovers built in that are specific to the stock system. Your only options, if you want to change speakers and keep the factory amp, is you could replace the rear 5.25" speakers and the door 3.5" speakers with some aftermarket 4ohm speakers. If you want to put some 6.5" component speakers in the doors, you are going to need to replace the amp with an aftermarket amp and also most likely need to add a subwoofer if you want it to sound good.
The following users liked this post:
stymie222 (03-29-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket HU power tie in's

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HU power tie in's