Alternator whine with stereo off.......? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Alternator whine with stereo off.......?

Old 10-24-2011, 01:34 PM
kedar
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12

my detailed install thread can be found HERE

here is a picture of an RCA interconnect that is ground to the chassis of the head unit. take a wire, strip a bit of the insulation, wedge the wire into the barrel of the RCA connection. your goal is to secure the wire to the negative side of the RCA without touching the positive side. the other end of the wire should be attached to the head unit. in my photo you will see a spade connector.

When you have the head unit removed, you may want to try an additional test. If you notice a high pitch in your speakers that goes away when you unplug the antenna from the head unit, then you need an antenna isolator. The antenna isolator that I purchased from the website named after a South American rain forest is manufactured by DLC (no part number). The antenna isolator that I received had connections for a standard antenna plug; however, GM changed the size of the antenna plug from a standard plug to a mini plug so I had to use metra 40-gm10 and metra 40-gm20 to complete the connection.

Pic of the antenna isolator. The far left item is metra 40-gm20, the middle item is the DLC antenna isolator, and the right item is metra 40-gm10

Pic of antenna isolator plugged into head unit (interconnect ground also visible). You will see a zip tie that I ran though two holes and wrapped around the antenna wire to keep the antenna securely connected (the connection was not tight). In this pic you will also see that both interconnects are grounded to the head unit chassis and crimped to one spade connector.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Kensmith
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, did the test with and without the GLI's and the engine off. I could not tell any difference is sound quality at all. I tried 3 different songs on CD and they sound identical. Not that my hearing is of high quality because it's not but if I can't tell any difference, that's good enough for me!
Old 10-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Kale
CF Senior Member

You should be careful grounding the rca to the chassis. You don't want to do that on a pioneer, for example. (Unless they changed their boards recently.)
Old 10-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Kensmith
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kale View Post
You should be careful grounding the rca to the chassis. You don't want to do that on a pioneer, for example. (Unless they changed their boards recently.)
I did not ground the GLI's for the RCS's. The whine went away without grounding them.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 PM
kedar
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Kensmith View Post
I did not ground the GLI's for the RCS's. The whine went away without grounding them.
I think Kale was cautioning me regarding grounding the interconnects to head unit chassis. My head unit is stock. Grounding the rca's made a significant and serious improvement. The squeal that I had before grounding was unbearable.

I have read that pioneers are finicky, and should not be hot-swapped.

Kensmith- Congrats on correcting your problem, enjoy the new sound system. Your experience confirms that the GLI that you used is effective.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Kensmith
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kedar View Post
I think Kale was cautioning me regarding grounding the interconnects to head unit chassis. My head unit is stock. Grounding the rca's made a significant and serious improvement. The squeal that I had before grounding was unbearable.

I have read that pioneers are finicky, and should not be hot-swapped.

Kensmith- Congrats on correcting your problem, enjoy the new sound system. Your experience confirms that the GLI that you used is effective.
Well, not sure what happened but the whine is back and I did nothing to the car. The car has been sitting as I have not been driving it during this winter. Started it up with radio off and high pitch whine coming out of the speakers. Maybe I need to ground the GLI's? If so, they are mounted next to the amplifier in the trunk of my 05 vert. Where do I ground them to? Can I use the amplifier ground terminal where the main amp ground wire is located? (stock Bose Nav head unit, all speakers replaced/upgraded, RCA's located along center console and so is power wire).
Old 01-31-2012, 04:01 PM
kedar
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12

Move the GLI's to the other end of the interconnect and install near the head unit.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Kensmith
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kedar View Post
Move the GLI's to the other end of the interconnect and install near the head unit.
Ok, I will try that next. I did read in the instructions to only use the two brown ground wires of the GLI SN1 if the Amp does not work and the Amp is working so I guess leave them alone. I am pretty sure the guy who put the RCS wires in ran them next to the power wire. Not sure if that is the problem but read some posts that's not a good idea.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Kensmith
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Think I found the problem. I have the PAC SNI-1 GLI's on the front and rear RCA's but failed to add one for the subs. If I pull the RCA for the subs from the AMP I get no whine. So I ordered a third GLI for the subs and hopefully that will take care of the whine.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Kensmith
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Installed the third PAC SNI-1 GLI today on the Sub RCA. No whine at all. I grounded all the GLI's (front, rear, and subs) to the AMP main ground block.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 PM
bgrant_12002
CF Senior Member

So you now have three GLIs? Where did you install them, 2 behind radio and one w subs(not sure where those are)
Old 03-18-2014, 07:54 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by bgrant_12002 View Post
So you now have three GLIs? Where did you install them, 2 behind radio and one w subs(not sure where those are)
Fronts + Rears + Sub = 3 sets of RCA cables

Most people put the GLI's near the source, but at the amp works also, I don't think it really matters.

Re sound quality with GLI's, I never noticed any loss with my GLI's installed until the left front completely lost all signals above about 4k. I thought I blew a tweeter until I troubleshot it down to the GLI.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:15 PM
bgrant_12002
CF Senior Member

are all RCAs available behind the head unit?
Old 03-22-2014, 02:11 PM
bgrant_12002
CF Senior Member

radio is out...........don't see any rca's..........where those puppies at?
Do I need some sort of harness adapter?

Last edited by bgrant_12002; 03-22-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alternator whine with stereo off.......?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: