Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > General Corvette Topics > Audio/Electronics
Reload this Page >

New stereo install- sometimes audio cuts out when headlights are turned on

Notices
Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

New stereo install- sometimes audio cuts out when headlights are turned on

Old 10-23-2011, 10:05 PM
npbassman
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New stereo install- sometimes audio cuts out when headlights are turned on

I just installed a Sony BT3900U head unit and a Kenwood KAC8405 amp in my C4. The amp is driving 2 rear Sony Xplod speakers on channel A and two old school kicker XPL 12's bridged on channel B.

The system sounds AWESOME! However, every once in a while (I'll say 1 out of 7 to 10 times) the system will "mute" when I turn the headlights on. Everything stays on and no fuses blow but I get no sound. If I turn the car off and restart, audio comes back and everything is fine. Hoping to get some suggestions on how to fix this.

It's a pretty simple one amp system. The amp has two built in 30 amp fuses and I have one 60 amp fuse at the battery. Power wire is 4GA. Ground wire at the amp is 10GA. I know that you're supposed to match gauges but this was a budget build and that's what I had in stock.

What do the CF audio gurus think?

Last edited by npbassman; 10-23-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:18 PM
kedar
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

can you run 4 gauge ground wire and see whether that eliminates your problem? it appears that your choking point is your ground. i'm no engineer, but i have read that contrary to common conception, electricity actually travels from negative to positive.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 PM
pentavolvo
CF Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

does the amp turn off?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 AM
npbassman
CF Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I can and will run a 4GA ground wire to eliminate that possibility.

Also, the HU and amp stay on when this situation occurs.

Thanks - Mike
Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 112 Likes on 103 Posts

If you play with the volume **** while it's "muted" can you see indication on the HU that it's changing?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 AM
npbassman
CF Senior Member

Confirmed. I can also change sources at the HU. I'll double check if and when it happens again.

Originally Posted by markcz View Post
If you play with the volume **** while it's "muted" can you see indication on the HU that it's changing?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:56 PM
BlackMoon
CF Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Stealthbox

My JL AUDIO C7 Couoe Stealthbox is for sale if anyone is interested. I also have a used LC2 and a new LC7. Asking $600 bond.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New stereo install- sometimes audio cuts out when headlights are turned on

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: