Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Where did you all locate your ipod connector in your C6

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:28 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Where did you all locate your ipod connector in your C6

I was thinking about putting it in the center glove box but it gets pretty hot in there. Anyone do that without any issues? I'm going to be using my iPhone4.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Rbohno
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts

I have an iPhone 4 but use an Ipod Classic for music,videos etc... and it is mounted in the glove box. I love it that way, i plug it in and leave it and have full control through the head unit.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:03 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

If you take any long trips in the vette during the summer, don't put it in the center console.

I also have a dedicated 'car ipod' in the glove box.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:11 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

My dedicated car iPod is in the center console. I have installed heat insulation so the console does not get stupid hot. The iPod cable runs from the PAL over driver side wheel well, under carpet towards console, under passenger side if console, behind e brake boot and into the console. No drilling or cutting required.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 207 Likes on 155 Posts

Mines in the Glove
Old 11-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Tech Contributor

I prefer using the Direct setting and controlling the iPod directly vs. the receiver controls, so set mine up as in the photo, good for phone and music. Bracketron parts, and can change the stalk heights ...
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2011, 03:29 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I put mine in the center console. A couple of L brackets cut down on one side to about an inch and a half, make a perfect platform to raise the iPod off the floor of the console, to lower any heat transmission, and to still allow (thin) stuff to be stored underneath thi iPod. The iPod is in a case with a belt clip, so it slides right onto the brackets, but can slide right out if I want to take it with me.

No problem with heat, but that's usually not an issue around here. But even on hot days, it's never been a problem.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:37 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I put the connector in the center console so I can easily connect both audio and power to the IPOD with one cable.

I run the cable out the console next to the parking brake and put the IPOD in the cup holder.

If I had a head unit that could control the IPOD, then I'd put it in the glove box.

Too much heat in the center console even with an insulated tunnel plate installed.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I have mine in the center console and have driven 10-12 hours straight in 60-90 degree heat, with no issues. It does get hot, but these things are pretty tough.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

I had an ipod trip for overheating in my C5 console twice on relatively short trips (<3 hrs), in the C6 my iphone4 went into protection mode once after 6 hours in the console on a 95* day. I still keep the phone in the middle, but not if I'm driving more than 30 minutes.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:54 AM
ZAKsPop
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

I'd sure like to find some sort of cradle that I could use with the Pioneer. Just jump in the car and set it right in the cradle and let it charge while listening to tunes from it.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:29 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Check out ProClip.

It's a 2-piece system. You select the holder for your particular device (IPOD, IPhone, etc.) and then select the car mount.

For C6 Vettes, the mount clips alongside the center stack. No holes, easy install.

When you select the device holder, get one with the pass-thru connector. This will let you take your IPOD in/out and the cable stays connected to the holder.

You still have to decide how and where the cable connects to your head unit.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM
jpuli28
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Check out ProClip.

It's a 2-piece system. You select the holder for your particular device (IPOD, IPhone, etc.) and then select the car mount.

For C6 Vettes, the mount clips alongside the center stack. No holes, easy install.

When you select the device holder, get one with the pass-thru connector. This will let you take your IPOD in/out and the cable stays connected to the holder.

Is it me but isn't $60-$70 a bit much for a phone holder?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
Check out ProClip.

Originally Posted by jpuli28
Is it me but isn't $60-$70 a bit much for a phone holder?

Seems the ProClip does a decent job, but may be too far away? My stalk mount (from post above) can pivot to any position, and while it is a Braketron holder, the stalk system is from PanaVise, and I hacked the ball-base from their adjustable knuckle, so the base was the swivel ball and 1/4" bolt, the bare minimum, and could go anywhere (side of center console would be a good spot). The stalks can be switched to any length (4, 6, 9 or 12") and I like it up and easy to reach. PanaVise has a variety of solutions, if you like the stalk approach ...
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed mine in the center console. I drilled a hole in the back of the console and brought the wire through there. I just lay the ipod on a small piece of foam to insulate it from the heat. This has worked for 3 years without any issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Where did you all locate your ipod connector in your C6

Quick Reply: Where did you all locate your ipod connector in your C6