Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Need a "Grocery" List

Old 03-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Bobbygiles
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a "Grocery" List

Hello Guys, I want to add some bass tomy 05 C6 Coupe. Since adding the Bullet Exhaust, my factory Bose sub is drowned out....ANYWAY

I want to Buy the JL Audio Stealthbox 10 w3
I Am thinking about a 500.1 JL or even something smaller..

I love JL so Im not really open to changing that aspect of the system

I want to use my factory Bose Radio and speakers...just need a little bass. I'm not looking for nut shaking stuff ...Just a Clean sounding system..With the ability to enjoy Zach Browns Banjo to Lil Wayne's 808's

I need a list of everything I need to buy..
I'll Start the List

1) JL Audio Stealth box with 10w3
2) JL AMP....What size?
3) ?
4)??
5)???

and so ON

DO I need a harness to hook up to factory deck? how do I power the amp? anyway..THanks for any help at all.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Orange06
Advanced

Amp installation kit (includes power/ground cable, fuse block/fuse, RCA cable, turn-on lead).

For a JL mono amp to run the Stealthbox, you'd be looking at the JX500/1 or the JX500/1D. The JX500/1 is an analog class AB, and the JX500/1D is a digital class D amp. AB is generally regarded to have better sound quality, while class D is more efficient (runs cooler) and smaller for similar wattage. Sub amplification is where class D amps first had real impact, since the lower frequencies are less likely to reveal quality differences between the AB and D amps. Both versions seem to be priced about the same.

Others here can advise on the best way to get signal to the amp, and what wiring that will require.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 AM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. To run the amp off of your factory radio, you will need a LOC (Line Out Converter) to run a signal from the radio to the amp. You can tap into the rear speakers for this signal. Rear Right is Dark Blue/Lt Blue (+/-) and Rear Left Brown/Tan (+/-). You will also need a amplifier power kit which will contain your power, ground, remote turn-on wire and rca cables. You will catch the remote on power from the fuze box or the main accessory wire since there isn't any behind the radio due to the RAP system.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Bobbygiles
Advanced

Guys Thanks!!! This really helps a LOT... Any ideas for best prices online for the "LOC" ? Last Question... Can i hide the amp behind a seat? I really don't want a amp box like the few I have already seen in other C6's...My goal is to see Nothing but the Stealthbox...Anyway.. Again Thanks Guys
Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The LOC will run around $25 for your local Bestbuy. Behind the seat isn't a good spot, for 2 reasons: 1 is limited air circulation and 2 is the gas tanks are located there. You risk the chance of puncturing the when securing your amp down. It also takes limits the range your seat can travel.
I see your from my home town.

Last edited by raydawg357; 03-28-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by raydawg357
Sounds like a good plan. To run the amp off of your factory radio, you will need a LOC (Line Out Converter) to run a signal from the radio to the amp. You can tap into the rear speakers for this signal. Rear Right is Dark Blue/Lt Blue (+/-) and Rear Left Brown/Tan (+/-). You will also need a amplifier power kit which will contain your power, ground, remote turn-on wire and rca cables. You will catch the remote on power from the fuze box or the main accessory wire since there isn't any behind the radio due to the RAP system.
You do NOT need to buy a LOC.

Make an Add-GM24 with these DIY instructions for a clean, full frequency line-level signal (signal at speakers is not full frequency).

Tap into wire at B3 of the harness for your amp trigger, it's controlled by RAP when you turn the car off, but it will also turn on your amp as soon as a door is opened. You can fix that with a relay and a few diodes if you want to (click here for how to do that).
Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Bobbygiles
Advanced

As Orange06 Mentions.. I am Getting a JL Audio JX500/1.. Any reason not to let me know...Will order tonight..Thx

Markcz.. i have ordered the Add-GM24..from the link you provided.
little to late but what about this one.... Pac C2a-Gm24 ...Thanks

So if I understand correctly... i still will Be able to get all of my speakers (front & rear) as well as my sub ...because the adapter I ordered is a pass though? Correct...

Also i found this from VetteNuts
http://www.vettenuts.net/index.php?l...t_detail&p=306

Is it as good as the "JL audio Stealthbox" Because the Price is WAAAY Better...Y'all let me know ...cause Im ready to place order...

Ray Dawg...you from da LAFFY!!!! SWEET

Last ONE... Any Ideas on where to put the Amp with out having to get a "space Consuming" amp box that i have seen on other C6's?
What about putting it in the Other Cubby hole ? (if it fits) or even Under the passenger seat? IDK Thanks Guys...
Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The DIY addgm24 is better signal and $100 cheaper than the c2a, if it even works

The adapter wll give you all 4 channels directly from the HU. Fronts will have chimes included, so use rears if you don't want to hear them.

IMO, ANY box from forum vendors would work as good or better than the JL, and for much less $$.

Others have done it, but I wouldn't put an amp in an unventillated cubby. Behind seat is popular, but you loose 2" of seat travel. Most amps won't fit under normal seats, if you have power seat forget it. I'm having the same issue right now, I'll most likely endup with amps sitting on floor in hatch area.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I have arc audio mini amps installed in the passenger footwell where the stock amp normally sits. I have an install thread floating around (am on iPhone so can't readily link).
Old 03-29-2012, 03:29 PM
kedar
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Here is my install thread: DIY stealth C6 coupe audio upgrade (pics)
Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Matlocks05
3rd Gear

Default C6 Corvette Stereo System

Go to this link I have a complete system and all you have to do is follow the pics in this thread I already has the harness and all

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300686451658...84.m1555.l2649
Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Bobbygiles
Advanced

Thanks for the Link... I have Ordered a Box and 10w3 New From VetteNuts..I ordered the JL JX500-1, I ordered the Add-GM24...

I need a good but cheap install kit...Any ideas.. Or should I go with a JL Install kit since its a JL Speaker and Amp?

My brother has experience installing systems so I will give him a call to help me out. Any tricks or tips on running the speaker wire?

Ill keep you guys posted with pics ...and of coarse questions

Everything should be in by Wed. of next week.
FYI I have the Bose 6-disk HU with NO OnStar..

Thanks Again..

Bobby
Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by kedar
I have arc audio mini amps installed in the passenger footwell where the stock amp normally sits. I have an install thread floating around (am on iPhone so can't readily link).
In this case I don't think the OP could use this technique because he is retaining the stock bose system, so the stock amp will need to stay where it is. Your install is awesome though.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:37 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Bobbygiles
I ordered the JL JX500-1....

I need a good but cheap install kit...Any ideas..
6g kit w/fuse for $24 shipped

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...lute-KIT6.html
Old 04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Bobbygiles
Advanced

Just ordered the install kit MarkCZ suggested...Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts
Tech Contributor

And my install post at the top <CLICK HERE> covers full deadening & audio (Kedar and MarkCZ helped me out BUNCHES) ...
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I like those LED light strips, Thrash... where'd you get them?

Get notified of new replies

To Need a "Grocery" List

Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Bobbygiles
Advanced

Awesome system..But I Hope my install in not as advanced as yours... Im just adding a Stealthbox w/10w3 and 500/1 Amp using the OEM HU on my 2005 Coupe... I hope its pretty straight forward other wise I will be shelling out the $$$ for a Pro to install.LOL...So to run my power cable from my amp to my battery,...I have to drill through the Firewall? If so.. I wonder if the install kit I ordered (link is above) will have the "Cap" you put on yours...ALso what is the best side to run it through?? Drivers or Passengers side firewall? Anyway.. Thanks again
Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by Bobbygiles
Awesome system..But I Hope my install in not as advanced as yours... Im just adding a Stealthbox w/10w3 and 500/1 Amp using the OEM HU on my 2005 Coupe... I hope its pretty straight forward other wise I will be shelling out the $$$ for a Pro to install.LOL...So to run my power cable from my amp to my battery,...I have to drill through the Firewall? If so.. I wonder if the install kit I ordered (link is above) will have the "Cap" you put on yours...ALso what is the best side to run it through?? Drivers or Passengers side firewall? Anyway.. Thanks again
You don't have to drill through the firewall. You can cut a slit in the factory harness grommet and run it through that. It's what I've done in my install. Some don't like to do it this way but I don't like drilling the firewall. 6 or 1/2 dozen I suppose.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:00 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

No matter how u get your power wire through the firewall, I suggest going through on the passenger side since that's the side your battery is located on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a "Grocery" List