Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

HELP! LED Steering Wheel 12V Connection

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 10:16 AM
PeepDaVette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! LED Steering Wheel 12V Connection

Hi All,

2008 C6 Corvette Z51 Manual
New to the corvette world, and also learning my way around car electrical systems. Apologies in advance!
I am trying to install an aftermarket LED Steering Wheel, which requires a constant 12V source (no it won't drain my battery as the wheel uses an OBD module that turns it off after 30secs if the car is off).
I ran a fresh 12V source using a Fuse Tap from the passenger foot well. However when I ran the wiring I realized that if I do not go through the Steering clockspring the wire will just wrap around the steering shaft and break.

Issue:
I then tried to run a 12V source tapping onto the horn circuit after the clockspring. However when I do this and connect the battery, instantly the horn of the car consistently no stop goes off.
I then tried an alternative 12V source just to check if it was messing with the

Question:
Is there anyway I can tap onto the air horn circuit and run my LED steering wheel in series without making the air horn go off? Or can I change the way I connect into the air horn circuit to a Parallel circuit, hoping this would prevent the horn go off?
Alternatively, happy to take any suggestions how how to get power to the wheel through the clock spring.

Note: The wheel works fine when connected to a constant 12V source.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:27 AM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 282 Posts

Could possibly be solved by adding a diode.
The following users liked this post:
NBVette_Canada (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 07:05 AM
NBVette_Canada
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PeepDaVette
Hi All,

2008 C6 Corvette Z51 Manual
New to the corvette world, and also learning my way around car electrical systems. Apologies in advance!
I am trying to install an aftermarket LED Steering Wheel, which requires a constant 12V source (no it won't drain my battery as the wheel uses an OBD module that turns it off after 30secs if the car is off).
I ran a fresh 12V source using a Fuse Tap from the passenger foot well. However when I ran the wiring I realized that if I do not go through the Steering clockspring the wire will just wrap around the steering shaft and break.

Issue:
I then tried to run a 12V source tapping onto the horn circuit after the clockspring. However when I do this and connect the battery, instantly the horn of the car consistently no stop goes off.
I then tried an alternative 12V source just to check if it was messing with the

Question:
Is there anyway I can tap onto the air horn circuit and run my LED steering wheel in series without making the air horn go off? Or can I change the way I connect into the air horn circuit to a Parallel circuit, hoping this would prevent the horn go off?
Alternatively, happy to take any suggestions how how to get power to the wheel through the clock spring.

Note: The wheel works fine when connected to a constant 12V source.
What does it say to do in the manufacturer installation instructions on how to install the wheel and where to pick up the 12V source?
Old 01-09-2023, 08:17 AM
PeepDaVette
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rev LED and Info Screen Installed and Working!
Originally Posted by NBVette_Canada
What does it say to do in the manufacturer installation instructions on how to install the wheel and where to pick up the 12V source?
Manage to figure it out. I was able to find a 12V source on the clock spring harness under "12V ignition". It only powers on when you turn the ignition switch, accessory mode doesn't give it any 12V. But regardless still serves the purpose I need it do. The reason why the horn or any other component would go off as soon as I try to tap into it was because the current was finding an alternative ground. When you press the horn on your car all you are doing is completing the circuit and grounding the current. Hindsight 20/20.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:21 AM
madsonp
Safety Car

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Originally Posted by PeepDaVette
Rev LED and Info Screen Installed and Working!

Manage to figure it out. I was able to find a 12V source on the clock spring harness under "12V ignition". It only powers on when you turn the ignition switch, accessory mode doesn't give it any 12V. But regardless still serves the purpose I need it do. The reason why the horn or any other component would go off as soon as I try to tap into it was because the current was finding an alternative ground. When you press the horn on your car all you are doing is completing the circuit and grounding the current. Hindsight 20/20.
Just out of curiosity, which wire did you connect to get the 12v ?
Old 01-13-2023, 09:54 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,664 Posts

post bigger pics of the LED portion

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! LED Steering Wheel 12V Connection

Quick Reply: HELP! LED Steering Wheel 12V Connection