Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing a Z140BH in a 2008 C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not wanting to steal the thread, but I replaced my base model stereo in my 06 C6 and I used this adaptor: http://outlet.crutchfield.com/App/Po...px?I=120GMOS04
Is the sound quality going to suffer with thais one? If so which one should I use? Mine was base model, with no Bose. I ask because I am going to swap stereos since I am not happy with the kenwood I got
Old 05-01-2012, 03:01 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by Cavi
not wanting to steal the thread, but I replaced my base model stereo in my 06 C6 and I used this adaptor: http://outlet.crutchfield.com/App/Po...px?I=120GMOS04
Is the sound quality going to suffer with thais one? If so which one should I use? Mine was base model, with no Bose. I ask because I am going to swap stereos since I am not happy with the kenwood I got
This is pretty "down in the weeds" of the thread. You'd probably have more luck starting a new thread.

A head unit adapter is not going to suffer your sound quality. If/when you start a new thread, it would be advantageous to go further into detail as to what about the Kenwood unit you are unhappy with.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
So I ditched the stock XM Antenna since it wouldn't work 50% of the time.

I have since mounted the aftermarket XM antenna in the rear (under the carpet near the locking mechanism (on the GIANT metal mounting bracket back there).

Signal works better, but still occasionally drops out.

The antenna right now is on an angle, I think if I find a flat spot back there it would work better.

Thoughts?
I agree with what you're saying. On my C5, I had the aftermarket antenna installed back by the rear bumper. I just removed a tail light and put it flat on the metal across the bumper area, then snaked the wire through the back and up to the XM receiver. I only had drop outs under concrete bridges, parking garages, etc...

On the C6 it's similar... but if I remember correctly there is a Styrofoam cover across the back there, I think? Here's a pic of the back of my C6 to show you want I mean:

You might be able to make up a small piece of metal that use adhesive to attach it back there, then put the antenna on top of it to maximize the signal. If you pull a tail light out, you'll see what I'm talking about... good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

In my C5 I had the Sirius antenna sitting on top of the rear bumper inside the fascia.

There's a pressure relief flap just behind the drivers side wheel hump, you can run the cable through there.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

So I ditched the stock XM Antenna since it wouldn't work 50% of the time.

I have since mounted the aftermarket XM antenna in the rear (under the carpet near the locking mechanism (on the GIANT metal mounting bracket back there).

Signal works better, but still occasionally drops out.

The antenna right now is on an angle, I think if I find a flat spot back there it would work better.

Thoughts?
I mounted the mic for my Z120, in my 08 coupe exactly like the picture in previous post and it works good. I put my XM antenna on top of the center HVAC duct where I think you put your GPS antenna, both fit right there and I get good reception.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 918 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by markcz
In my C5 I had the Sirius antenna sitting on top of the rear bumper inside the fascia.

There's a pressure relief flap just behind the drivers side wheel hump, you can run the cable through there.
I already drilled a hole for the rear camera in the fiberglass so I can reuse that. But my XM is pretty decent. I'll get a picture of where it's mounted. Maybe I can get some metallic adhesive back where I have it to mount it "up wards"

ALSO:

I finally found out why my radio had opening problems! There is a plastic "nub" that the stock radio slides into. My radio was HITTING this! So I pulled the unit out, didn't disconnect anything. Broke a hacksaw blade into 3rds and manually sawed the plastic nub off. Afterward I dressed the sharp plastic in Electrical tape. Radio is now FLUSH with the Metra dash mount and NO more opening issues!

If you go with a large double din unit. Ditch the "nub."

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 05-03-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Antenna on left.

With carpet back.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:50 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

I finally found out why my radio had opening problems! There is a plastic "nub" that the stock radio slides into. My radio was HITTING this! So I pulled the unit out, didn't disconnect anything. Broke a hacksaw blade into 3rds and manually sawed the plastic nub off. Afterward I dressed the sharp plastic in Electrical tape. Radio is now FLUSH with the Metra dash mount and NO more opening issues!

If you go with a large double din unit. Ditch the "nub."
A cutting wheel on a Dremel works pretty good too
Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

A cutting wheel on a Dremel works pretty good too
After doing that I noticed there is a lot more room back there for cables than I thought. So I guess my install problem was this "nub" all along.

Now that my radio is flush with the face plate the install is SUPER CLEAN and looks 100% professional. I'm super happy about it now.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

After doing that I noticed there is a lot more room back there for cables than I thought. So I guess my install problem was this "nub" all along.

Now that my radio is flush with the face plate the install is SUPER CLEAN and looks 100% professional. I'm super happy about it now.
Full set of pics, or it didn't happen!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
Full set of pics, or it didn't happen!

As soon as it stops raining, I'll be taking some!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Here are a few:

Old 05-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Tarheels1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks Professional!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Cavi
Pro

how did you get it to sit that flush? i ask because I am getting one installed this Friday
Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Cavi
how did you get it to sit that flush? i ask because I am getting one installed this Friday
As long as your installer removes the "nub" that the stock radio mounts back to in the rear then you can mount it perfectly flush with the face plate. There is no impediment to the door.

I also dremelled the top slightly because it does "rub" a little bit. But it shouldn't keep the door from opening.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

As long as your installer removes the "nub" that the stock radio mounts back to in the rear then you can mount it perfectly flush with the face plate. There is no impediment to the door.

I also dremelled the top slightly because it does "rub" a little bit. But it shouldn't keep the door from opening.
I wonder if the Z140 is bigger than the Z120, I did not have those mounting issues.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

The depth issue may or may not be there depending on how the cables and adapters are routed behind the HU. Some units have RCA's or a plug situated so they hit the plastic nub unless you pull the cables out of the way (or just get lucky).

IMO it's easier to just cut the thing off from the beginning.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a Z140BH in a 2008 C6

Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you get your automatic dimmer to work when the lights come on? He claims that the adapter cable does not allow for it
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by xcutter
Did you get your automatic dimmer to work when the lights come on? He claims that the adapter cable does not allow for it
Connect the HU illumination wire directly to the grey/black wire at the TC/AH button on the center console
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

The depth issue may or may not be there depending on how the cables and adapters are routed behind the HU. Some units have RCA's or a plug situated so they hit the plastic nub unless you pull the cables out of the way (or just get lucky).

IMO it's easier to just cut the thing off from the beginning.
At first I thought it was cables. But when I took it all back apart to check I made sure there where no cables by the "pinch point.' The Z140BH is a bit long I suppose.

Quick Reply: Installing a Z140BH in a 2008 C6