Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Thinking about a stereo upgrade in my C6

Old 05-03-2012, 09:53 AM
bbudman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking about a stereo upgrade in my C6

I told myself that I wasn't going to mess with the audio system but since I am driving the car every day I really have started thinking about improving the sound quality. I have the in dash factory nav/ bluetooth/XM and figured I would keep the head in place and upgrade the speakers, add amplifiers, and a sub. I have been researching equipment for a while and to be honest I have access to dealer pricing if I decided to go with Alpine, Kenwood, or Rockford Fosgate. I have just about decided on going with Alpine for the amplifiers but I am really not sure I want to use their speakers. I listened to the Alpine SPX-17Pro's and although they sounded OK I just didn't fall in love with them either! I am really considering the Focal line of speakers, mainly the 165 KR2's for the front doors and using the Alpine PDX-F4 amplifier to power them. For the subwoofer I have two options in mind. The easy way out would be to use the JL Audio Stealth Box but my other option would be to build my own enclosure designed very much the same except that I would incorporate an amp rack to the enclosure design and use some type of shallow mount 10" woofer in place of the JL. I am just about sure I would use the Alpine PDX-M6 amplifier for any subwoofer I choose. Also I plan to dynamat the interior as well as the doors before the first piece of electronics goes in the car.

Thankfully, I have a great deal of knowledge in this field so I will be doing all the work myself in my garage as well as my woodshop. I also have done custom fiberglass fabrication in the past so in the event I decide to build my own enclosure and amp rack it won't be an issue and I can save myself a little money at the same time!

So, what do you guys think? Does this sound like a decent system?
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Any/all of the above would sound pretty good

To get the signal from the HU check out this thread. Tap the wire at pin B3 for the amp trigger.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The Focals are nice and we offer them
I would check out the Hybrid Audio Legatia or Clarus as well
Arc Audio Black series

I would pass on the Alpine amp myself and go with Arc mini's or the JL HD and even the Kenwood Xr4S is better than the Alpine PDX

Call me if we can help you put together a package deal!
Dennis

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about a stereo upgrade in my C6

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about a stereo upgrade in my C6