Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Speakers cut out with when turning volume up

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:10 PM
JHM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers cut out with when turning volume up

I bought my 2000 c5 a couple of weeks ago and noticed how under powered the stereo was. Today I took apart the door panels and noticed that the stock "subs" were disconnected, so I wired them up. Bass was hitting again, but when I put the volume too high or leave volume low and bass up everything cuts off until I lower it. Anyone ever run into this issue?? head unit is a pioneer, fronts have the stock bose subs and some no name 4" speakers, rears are pioneer 3 ways.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:52 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM
I bought my 2000 c5 a couple of weeks ago and noticed how under powered the stereo was. Today I took apart the door panels and noticed that the stock "subs" were disconnected, so I wired them up. Bass was hitting again, but when I put the volume too high or leave volume low and bass up everything cuts off until I lower it. Anyone ever run into this issue?? head unit is a pioneer, fronts have the stock bose subs and some no name 4" speakers, rears are pioneer 3 ways.
sounds like the bose amps are having issues.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 AM
JHM
Instructor

I've come down to the conclusion that you are right sir.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:04 AM
666WMD
Instructor

Sounds like wiring up the subs have drop the ohm load on the amp below what it's rated for and it's going into protect.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Likely a grounding, short or wiring problem, or the Bose amp may be shot. I doubt it's a speaker problem. This may be tough to figure out though, so start by testing the speakers, then the wiring, then the amp. Good luck and let us know what you find out ...
Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM
JHM
Instructor

Figured it out. Yes, you are correct. Previous owner drilled in new 4" speakers and went into the bose amp and is now busted. Trying to source out a new set bose sub/amp combo. I replaced it with some alpine components and not happy with the outcome.

Get notified of new replies

To Speakers cut out with when turning volume up

Quick Reply: Speakers cut out with when turning volume up