Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Has anyone put front speakers anywhere in a C5 besides the door??

Old 08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
aerovette99
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Has anyone put front speakers anywhere in a C5 besides the door??

I have 6 1/2" speakers in the doors that sound great and I want them to stay. I have 5 1/4" speakers in the rear which are really good speakers but are, well, 5 1/4" speakers (VERT). I also have a 10" sub in the rear compartment.
I just received a set of JL Audio 6.5" component speakers. I was going to consider mounting the tweeters behind the door opening lever, but where to install the mid bass??? I was thinking about the kick panels in the footwells but I have reservations about it. I know there is a big hole behind the passenger kick panel but I haven't checked the driver's side yet.

Any input????? I hate to not use such a nice set of speakers.
I also have 3 amps and the third amp is a 4 channel so I have an extra set of channels begging me to put them to use.......
Old 08-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Tech Contributor

On my C5 I mounted the tweets in the a-pillar cover, 1st & 2nd photo (these were Memphis "orbital" tweets, so they could move-pivot for direction). They sounded great and I also did this on my C6 back in Feb. First I tried the pods that came with the Focals (3rd), then found a molded set for sale (4th) ...
Attached Images     
Old 08-12-2012, 11:29 AM
mdiiulio
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 110 Posts

I have a set of Focal 165KRX2's up front. 6.5's in the stock door location, and I molded my tweets into the a-pillars (combo of pic 3 and 4 above). Custom fiberglass was new to me so I found some a-pillars off a junker on ebay. Smelled like $hit, but they were easy to clean and were in one piece.

As for your desire to fill all your channels, I have a coupe and my 5 speakers (including sub) provide PLENTY of high quality sound. I can't imagine having to tune more speakers in my coupe, let alone a vert with it's smaller space. I'd say start with the component set, I bet you won't even miss the 5 1/4's. If I'm wrong, then at least its easy to add the set in back.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:35 AM
aerovette99
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdiiulio
I have a set of Focal 165KRX2's up front. 6.5's in the stock door location, and I molded my tweets into the a-pillars (combo of pic 3 and 4 above). Custom fiberglass was new to me so I found some a-pillars off a junker on ebay. Smelled like $hit, but they were easy to clean and were in one piece.

As for your desire to fill all your channels, I have a coupe and my 5 speakers (including sub) provide PLENTY of high quality sound. I can't imagine having to tune more speakers in my coupe, let alone a vert with it's smaller space. I'd say start with the component set, I bet you won't even miss the 5 1/4's. If I'm wrong, then at least its easy to add the set in back.
Start with the component set?? The front door speakers are 6.5 and the rears are 5.25. Where do you propose the 6.5"s?? I don't want to remove my front door speakers, they sound great. Your tweets look great (sorry about the smell), but what I really want is a home for the 6.5". That's why I thought about the kick panels. I want to subtract nothing, I just want to possibly add.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doors for mids, pillars for tweets.

midbass in kick panels doesn't work super well, especially in the vette.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:04 PM
aerovette99
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kale
Doors for mids, pillars for tweets.

midbass in kick panels doesn't work super well, especially in the vette.
No room in the doors since I already have a set of nice speakers there!!
I'm trying to ADD. No subtractions
Old 08-13-2012, 12:19 AM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ADD? As in more than two sets of drivers for the same frequencies? If so, why?

Will you be running active crossovers, time alignment, 32 bands of EQ, more than a simple stereo output, etc...?

What is it that you are looking to accomplish?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 AM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aerovette99
No room in the doors since I already have a set of nice speakers there!!
I'm trying to ADD. No subtractions
well if you want the car to sound worse, just throw them in the kick panel, I guess.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 AM
aerovette99
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kale
well if you want the car to sound worse, just throw them in the kick panel, I guess.
Why would it sound worse?? I'm not subtracting anything I already have but I can add the mid bass to the kick panel and I can add the tweeters to the back of the door opening lever or in the pillar. It came with a pair of crossovers (JL Audio XR650). I still have the 2 remaining channels of a 4 channel amp free. I figured it couldn't hurt to get a bit more sound out of the stereo, but I'm not convinced that it will make it sound WORSE.
Please educate me on your thinking
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If I remember correctly, Radioflyer had a center-channel speaker mounted in place of the center A/C vents.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 AM
aerovette99
Drifting

I'm actually intrigued by Kale's statement.
If he is an expert than I would like to get his insight on this.
The statement was "well if you want the car to sound worse, just throw them in the kick panel, I guess".
This really doesn't explain anything but I still value his opinion if he has something to backup that statement.

FastHotRod asked some great questions. My system sounds excellent the way it is, but I DO have this JL Audio xr 650 component system with crossovers, and since I still have a free set of channels, I thought I would use them for more engulfing sound. I have 6 1/2" speakers in the front doors, but they sit down low (although I do have the tweeter pointing upwards) as all C5 front door speakers do. I don't want to mess up the door so I thought I might put the other mid bass in the kick panel and the tweeter closer to my ears.
I could sell them, I guess, but they really sound good still and I hate to not use them.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:45 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

If you have multiple speakers playing the same sounds it can be tricky to get them all tuned properly. Especially if you only have the amp HPF/LPF available to adjust everything.

If you really want to try it, hook everything up with the speakers just sitting in the general location you'd mount them and see how it sounds. If you think it's better, then go through the hassle of mounting them in places not intended for speakers.

If it truly does sound great now, I'd have to agree that adding more speakers wouldn't be an improvment.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:57 PM
aerovette99
Drifting

Originally Posted by markcz
If you have multiple speakers playing the same sounds it can be tricky to get them all tuned properly. Especially if you only have the amp HPF/LPF available to adjust everything.

If you really want to try it, hook everything up with the speakers just sitting in the general location you'd mount them and see how it sounds. If you think it's better, then go through the hassle of mounting them in places not intended for speakers.

If it truly does sound great now, I'd have to agree that adding more speakers wouldn't be an improvment.
Great point! Thanks so much for your insight. These DO have a crossover, seen in the picture below, that should have me keeping the built in crossover of the amp at AP.

Last edited by aerovette99; 08-13-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

The crossover just makes the two speakers in the component set you're adding work well together, they may still clash with the one you already have installed.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:18 PM
aerovette99
Drifting

Originally Posted by markcz
The crossover just makes the two speakers in the component set you're adding work well together, they may still clash with the one you already have installed.
If I use AP then there is no crossover utilized by the system.
Only if I do LP or HP will that cutoff frequencies!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Great point! Thanks so much for your insight. These DO have a crossover, seen in the picture below, that should have me keeping the built in crossover of the amp at AP.

If I use AP then there is no crossover utilized by the system.
I think you missed his point. The crossovers you posted a picture of are passive crossovers. The LP/HP crossovers in your amp are active crossovers. You can have one, the other, or both... it just depends on how you want to design the system.

Only if I do LP or HP will that cutoff frequencies!
Crossovers are designed to create frequency 'pathways' in a particular spectrum. Low pass, band pass, high pass... they are all just ways to direct a particular set of frequencies to a particular driver or set of drivers.

In the case of your front component speakers, you are using a passive crossover designed to direct the low frequencies to the midbass driver, and the highs to the tweeter. If you are using a sub, then you should be using a high-pass crossover on the amp for the component speakers, set at approximately the same frequency as your subwoofer amplifiers low-pass crossover. (Perhaps 80 HZ?) That way, your front component speakers aren't being asked to provide sub-bass frequencies, allowing you to run more power to the drivers and allowing them to play slightly louder.

I asked a simple question and you have yet to answer it: What is it that you are trying to accomplish? If it's just to cram as many speakers into your C5 as possible, then go for it. But if you are looking to have a good sounding system, with the ability to image well and have a good sound stage while providing crisp, balanced sound... you're going the wrong direction.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

You could try to make something like this:

Or this:

...it all just depends on what you want to do, and why.

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone put front speakers anywhere in a C5 besides the door??

Old 08-14-2012, 09:56 AM
aerovette99
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fasthotrod
You could try to make something like this:

Or this:

...it all just depends on what you want to do, and why.
I just figured out that I can't install them in the kick panels bacuse the left side has no open space. Guess I'll just have to sell them. Oh Well.

I was really hoping to utilize these speakers. BUMMER!!!!

Last edited by aerovette99; 08-14-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

I put 3.5" in under my dash that aim out the corners...totally stealth but you can hear the midrange they produce beautifully. I have a 3.5" in the center too. I also run 1" tweets on the A-Pillars.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Thrash
On my C5 I mounted the tweets in the a-pillar cover, 1st & 2nd photo (these were Memphis "orbital" tweets, so they could move-pivot for direction). They sounded great and I also did this on my C6 back in Feb. First I tried the pods that came with the Focals (3rd), then found a molded set for sale (4th) ...
Trash was the A Pillar completely redone to allow for the depth. I have yet to find a tweeter I can mount flush like that into the A pillar. Mine have all had to be top mounted. Tips?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone put front speakers anywhere in a C5 besides the door??