Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Kenwood DNX6990HD firmware update

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 PM
seattle
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Kenwood DNX6990HD firmware update

I updated my Kenwood HU firmware from 1.1 to 1.6 by following these steps. I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out. It is important to add any MP3 file to the thumb drive to make it work. I hope this helps anyone else trying to do an update. The 1.6 update also added AHA radio. The reason I did the update was that the Pandora selection will not work. I can get Pandora to work using the Bluetooth selection only. The update did not fix it. Interestingly the new AHA Radio has the same problem. I have followed all the Pandora instructions posted by DD Mod's in another post and I have had no luck.

Here's the how to:
Download the Kenwood update onto your computer - (takes 20 minutes) from the link below. The download is at the bottom of the page.

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firm...2012b/eng.html

Unzip/Extract the update folder you downloaded. You will have 3 individual files and 1 zipped file called 12Visual_High (DO NOT unzip this file!).

Format your USB thumb drive (right click) to FAT32.

Move your 3 individual files and the 1 unzipped file to your thumb drive.

Move any mp3 song (mine is ZZZ.mp3) to the thumb drive. This is necessary or the Kenwood won't read the thumb drive at all.

Now you have a total of 4 individual files and 1 zipped file.

Then insert this thumb drive into the USB port/cable of your Kenwood HU.

Follow the steps shown in the link below.

2012 Navigation/Multimedia receiver firmware update Guide"(en) download(PDF:511KB)

Quick Reply: Kenwood DNX6990HD firmware update