Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Just upgraded HU in my C5...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:23 AM
04MSZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just upgraded HU in my C5...need advice

I just upgraded the head unit in my 2000 FRC to a Kenwood DNX-6990HD. While I love the head unit, the speakers are killing me. I've already replaced the front 3.5" and rear speakers with Infinity Kappa's, but no matter how many different settings I play with on the head unit, I CANNOT get this system to sound good...it just sounds dull (maybe I'm spoiled by my 2010 Avalanche's Bose system). So, my question is, how do I get this system sounding great without completely overhauling all of my speakers and adding a sub/amp? I'm on a budget so a $2,000 speaker package won't work.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:28 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Are the door subs powering up?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:45 PM
04MSZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by markcz
Are the door subs powering up?
It definitely sounds like there is bass coming from the subs, it's just dull sounding. In fact, I think it sounded better before I upgraded the head unit. What gives?
Old 11-24-2012, 07:56 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

The signal going to the subs is split from the HU by the interface adapter you're using. Look at the instructions to see if the bass level is adjustable.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:00 PM
04MSZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by markcz
The signal going to the subs is split from the HU by the interface adapter you're using. Look at the instructions to see if the bass level is adjustable.
I believe the adapter I'm using is the ROEM. It has 4 adjusting screws for each of the 4 speakers (R/F, L/F, R/R, L/R) and it only increases or decreases the volume of the speaker. Am I just being picky? I didn't really expect it to sound phenomenal but even my friends notice that it sounds bad.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 00BlkVette
I believe the adapter I'm using is the ROEM. It has 4 adjusting screws for each of the 4 speakers (R/F, L/F, R/R, L/R) and it only increases or decreases the volume of the speaker. Am I just being picky? I didn't really expect it to sound phenomenal but even my friends notice that it sounds bad.
your sure you connected the BLUE WHITE from the Kenwood to the BLUE on the roem-vet1?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 PM
04MSZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
your sure you connected the BLUE WHITE from the Kenwood to the BLUE on the roem-vet1?
I'll have to double check tomorrow, but if I remember correctly, the adapter was already pre-wired when I ordered it (with the Kenwood). The only wires I had to connect were ACC, ground, and HVAC dimmer I believe. If these wires you mentioned weren't hooked up properly, would it affect sound quality?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:46 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 00BlkVette
I'll have to double check tomorrow, but if I remember correctly, the adapter was already pre-wired when I ordered it (with the Kenwood). The only wires I had to connect were ACC, ground, and HVAC dimmer I believe. If these wires you mentioned weren't hooked up properly, would it affect sound quality?
if we wired it it would be done correctly.
Sorry I just cant not remember everyone by forum name

I just put a 6990 in a car yesterday with the Kicker upgrade speakers and it sounded awesome. Customer loved it
Old 04-04-2017, 09:57 AM
ApexerER
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I know this is a very old thread but did you ever figure out the problem? I am having the same issue with a Kenwood DDX374BT. I even replaced my front speakers with the same Infinity Kappa's

Get notified of new replies

To Just upgraded HU in my C5...need advice

Quick Reply: Just upgraded HU in my C5...need advice