Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

how to tune car stereo with killing battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:31 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default how to tune car stereo with killing battery?

This may seem like a simple question.. (edit messed up thread title)

but, how do you tune/tweak your system WITHOUT killing the battery (without the car idling/running)?

I am trying to avoid having the car running for the hour or so this will take.

I thought about hooking up my 12 amp battery charger, but thought that the current draw from my kenwood 5 ch amp would be higher than that.

I can run the car, but that means having the garage door open, and I think the volume levels may bother my neighbors...lol

Last edited by bags142; 03-21-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:37 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Current draw may be higher, but it still keep the battery working longer then it would with nothing connected.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:00 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I'd definitely run the car for the higher volume "max gain" adjustments, but that shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. If any neighbors complain just offer to take them for a ride when you're done, otherwise they'll get over it.

In my rides the "fine tuning" I do in the garage always seems to need adjusted again once the road noise factors in, so just get it close in the garage and tweek on it later as needed. I carried a flashlight and small screwdriver in the car for over a month after my last install modification, I could decide on an adjustment and pull over to do it at any time
Old 03-24-2014, 01:34 AM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JETninja
Current draw may be higher, but it still keep the battery working longer then it would with nothing connected.
True!

Originally Posted by markcz
I'd definitely run the car for the higher volume "max gain" adjustments, but that shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. If any neighbors complain just offer to take them for a ride when you're done, otherwise they'll get over it.

In my rides the "fine tuning" I do in the garage always seems to need adjusted again once the road noise factors in, so just get it close in the garage and tweek on it later as needed. I carried a flashlight and small screwdriver in the car for over a month after my last install modification, I could decide on an adjustment and pull over to do it at any time

lol... not a bad thought.

And yeah, I am sure I will be playing with the eq for a week after

Get notified of new replies

To how to tune car stereo with killing battery?

Quick Reply: how to tune car stereo with killing battery?