Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 11:31 PM
KIMCHI
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can figure it out, I'm actually a Double E. Just wasn't too sure what the PCB controlled.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:28 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

frustration is setting in......

got everything wired up & radio turns on & other stuff seems to works, EXCEPT back up camera. The camera that came with the radio has a long RCA plug that plugs into the HU. That long cable has a red & black coming out of it near the camera side a single red on the RCA end of it. So I spliced into the reverse lights wires on the camera side, hoping that it would power the camera when reverse lights were on, but that seems to not be working. I then tried the red near the RCA & connected that to my 12v switched. That powered up the camera, but it was always on.

my other frustration is the emergency brake connection. I have the brake out from the PAC RP5-GM11 connected to the BRAKE IN from the HU. As sson as I release parking brake radio shuts off & gives me a warning symbol, same happens if I ground BRAKE IN from HU as Dennis had mentioned in another thread.

been fighting with this since yesterday guys. Any help???
Old 09-05-2016, 12:53 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by *El Ocho*
got everything wired up & radio turns on & other stuff seems to works
Congratulations!

EXCEPT back up camera. The camera that came with the radio has a long RCA plug that plugs into the HU. That long cable has a red & black coming out of it near the camera side a single red on the RCA end of it. So I spliced into the reverse lights wires on the camera side, hoping that it would power the camera when reverse lights were on, but that seems to not be working. I then tried the red near the RCA & connected that to my 12v switched. That powered up the camera, but it was always on.
The Crimestopper SV-6819EM mentioned in the first post has no power lead at the front. If there is continuity between the single red at the front and the single red at the back, then leave the front disconnected and check your red and black connections at the rear.

I have the brake out from the PAC RP5-GM11 connected to the BRAKE IN from the HU. As sson as I release parking brake radio shuts off & gives me a warning symbol, same happens if I ground BRAKE IN from HU as Dennis had mentioned in another thread.
I might not have bothered with that connection, as my head unit is configured to ignore it as shown in a previous post. If you can't figure it out, then the vendor should be able to help!
Old 09-05-2016, 04:32 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

ok guys, got it all figured out. All I needed was to sit back, take a deep breath & have a beer.

What I did to fix the brake problem was simply do a direct ground to the BRAKE IN from the radio. I connected an extra length of wire to that wire & connected it to a ground in the passenger footwell.

The camera problem I fixed by making sure the connection to the reverse lights was good (which it wasn't, so that's where I got power from) & connecting the red wire coming from the RCA side to REVERSE IN on the HU. So in essence I didn't use any of the PAC GM11 NAV wires.

Everything is in & running good. Only thing I just noticed now was that the reverse camera shows backwards on the screen (I mean my truck was on my left, but on the screen it showed the truck on the right). Anyone have this problem??

Last edited by *El Ocho*; 09-05-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:51 PM
bjmsam
Pro

Everything is in & running good. Only thing I just noticed now was that the reverse camera shows backwards on the screen (I mean my truck was on my left, but on the screen it showed the truck on the right). Anyone have this problem??
Try enabling the "Reversing X-mirror" option shown in the post I referenced above.
The following users liked this post:
*El Ocho* (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 05:11 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Originally Posted by bjmsam
Try enabling the "Reversing X-mirror" option shown in the post I referenced above.
Yep, that worked!!

Thanks again
Old 09-05-2016, 10:56 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

I finally got my Joying UL-135 installed.. I swapped out the Newsmy unit I had in there.

The Unit is a MTCD unit and I have installed Malaysk V6 ROM (Android 5.1.1). Looking forward to using it in the car
Old 09-12-2016, 11:05 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Installed pictures. I am happy with it so far. It is much better than the newsmy it replaced

Old 09-13-2016, 05:23 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Cool unit. Just not sure I want to switch the headunit again.. LOL
You invested considerable effort in that approach, so glad to hear this was worth the switch!
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
It is much better than the newsmy it replaced
Old 09-13-2016, 07:29 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

You invested considerable effort in that approach, so glad to hear this was worth the switch!
Yes I did the tablet first, as the radios were not prominent then. The tablet had is own issues and I wa snot keen of the tablet battery staying in the car. I use the radio quite a bit and what I used had some issues.

I bought the newsmy to replace the tablet. I quickly found that I missed a volume **** ( had one in the bezel below the tablet) coupled with the fact that the newsmy was starting to do some odd things, like cycle power while driving.

The Joying, while it too has some small quirks, for the most part I should have do this first.. LOL
Old 09-18-2016, 02:44 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

couple of things......

when I switch to nav it just stays on a "welcome to google maps" screen. so as of now it seems like my NAV isn't really working.

I also see that it has a card slot marked GPS, is it supposed to come with a GPS card or is that something that I need to find elsewhere?
Old 09-18-2016, 03:01 PM
bjmsam
Pro

I also see that it has a card slot marked GPS, is it supposed to come with a GPS card or is that something that I need to find elsewhere?
Mine came with worldwide maps on a 4GB MicroSD card in that slot as advertised. What did the ad say for yours?
There are many Android navigation apps that use maps stored on the SD card; this HU came with iGO as the default, which is light-years ahead of the stock HU's navigation system.

Last edited by bjmsam; 09-18-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:10 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

the ad makes no mention of any SD card
Old 09-19-2016, 09:29 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

mine did not have any SD Cards, I have not even selected a GPS app to use yet.. Too many rely on a data connection always being there
Old 09-19-2016, 11:27 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

What apps are you guys using for your Music?

The 'Music' App it comes with, I cannot seem to find a way to search for albums or anything, it just plays.

Poweramp I think requires and Internet connection everytime it starts ( from what I have seen)

I have Rocket Player too, which is ok. I tried Doubletwist, but I guess it will not see locally installed music

but curious what other use
Old 09-20-2016, 06:01 PM
bjmsam
Pro

The standard music app works great for me, but when I need to search (offline or streaming), I use the "Amazon Music with Prime Music" app (which I also use exclusively on my Android phone). A search returns many other options...

For offline navigation during a trip abroad, Sygic worked great on my phone...

Last edited by bjmsam; 09-20-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:48 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

so far, the few times I've driven it since the install I've either listened to FM radio, a CD or my ipod, which I ran the connection to my glove compartment.

haven't really tried an app, except for Pandora on my phone & linked up to HU via bluetooth.

Get notified of new replies

To Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Old 10-10-2016, 08:45 AM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Anyone know what OBDii unit will pair and connect with this unit? I'm trying to get data for Track Addict.
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=331955 686759&category=79834&pm=1&ds=0&t=147610 3357051
Old 10-10-2016, 09:33 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Originally Posted by 383
Anyone know what OBDii unit will pair and connect with this unit? I'm trying to get data for Track Addict.
Why not try the adapter mentioned in that ad?
Old 10-10-2016, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Why not try the adapter mentioned in that ad?
I've tried 4 different elm's and although they're cheap I'm done tossing money at this thing. I'm just looking for confirmation that they actually work

Quick Reply: Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation