Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation - Page 23 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Audio/Electronics
Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Old 08-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #441
Jmelz
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 02 View Post
Is it for a C5? If so then I can find an illumination wire in my factory service manual later.

What year is your car?
Oops, sorry, it's a 2005 C6.

Also, I used a crux socgm17c for connecting to the factory's harness.

Additionally, worth noting that I found FM reception to be awful when I installed the stereo. I found that in the ' extra settings' screen, it had FM country region set to Europe. I changed it to USA and it works great now.

Last edited by Jmelz; 08-06-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Jmelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #442
Jmelz
CF Member

After some searching, I realized that using the traction control illumination wire or even the hazard light illumination wire wasn't going to work for this stereo.

I used someone else's suggested wire... The brown wire in the dimmer switch. Works perfectly now...high beams and low beams.

For my unit it turns the button lights on when headlights come on, and dims the screen.

I also found a better installation bracket, at least for me... It is an xscorpion GM k0510ddp . There is a 2nd removable front bezel that can be trimmed, or, you can do like I did, and fill the small gap between the top and sides with some black adhesive felt.

If I had the means, a great idea would be to make a shallow sunscreen. About 1 to 2 inches at the top tapering off at the bottom. It would fill the narrow gap and block some reflection from the screen.

There was a matte screen protector that came with my unit... might put it on some rainy day.
Jmelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #443
billybaloneey
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAAD LS2 View Post
It looks like they have updated this unit to have 2GB and Android 7.1.1.

https://www.seicane.com/2005-2006-ch...ontrol-s018724

I'm very interested if anyone else has any experience with these.
Android 7.1.1 is indeed the latest and greatest.

FYI: from the research I have done virtually all of the hardware, and chip sets are pretty much the same...with the exception of buttons/*****/switches...and their software interface on top of the Android operating system. All of the big players: Eonon, Hizpo, Pumpkin...and many other makers of HU's are...once again...virtually the same. Seicane seems to be one of the few with a HU specific for a 2005 Corvette.

Don't hate me, but I have a 2005 Ford F150 truck...I like it...it is my second F150 and I have recently installed an Android HU in it. I initially went with Eonon...their GA7173 is made as a plug and play for the 2005 F150...and indeed it was...but I never could get the AM radio stations to come in...after a month of emails back and forth and a replacement unit...Eonon came to the realization that their design was flawed when it came to the F150 in the US market . I found another unit made by a company called HIZPO...with all of the latest and greatest bells and whistles...it is like being at the control panel of a UFO.

One of the downsides to buying one of these Asian made HU's has been eluded to in various posts of the past...the manufactures try to be very helpful, but their English language skills are not always the best...and it takes almost a full day to get a response due to the time differences.

Thanks for posting the link for the Seicane HU for the 2005 Corvette...based on my experience with my trucks Android 7.1 unit...I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get their unit along with a few of the accessories they offer.
billybaloneey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybaloneey For This Useful Post:
BAAD LS2 (08-19-2017)
Old 08-18-2017, 09:48 PM   #444
BAAD LS2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
C6 of Month Winner 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybaloneey View Post
Android 7.1.1 is indeed the latest and greatest.

FYI: from the research I have done virtually all of the hardware, and chip sets are pretty much the same...with the exception of buttons/*****/switches...and their software interface on top of the Android operating system. All of the big players: Eonon, Hizpo, Pumpkin...and many other makers of HU's are...once again...virtually the same. Seicane seems to be one of the few with a HU specific for a 2005 Corvette.

Don't hate me, but I have a 2005 Ford F150 truck...I like it...it is my second F150 and I have recently installed an Android HU in it. I initially went with Eonon...their GA7173 is made as a plug and play for the 2005 F150...and indeed it was...but I never could get the AM radio stations to come in...after a month of emails back and forth and a replacement unit...Eonon came to the realization that their design was flawed when it came to the F150 in the US market . I found another unit made by a company called HIZPO...with all of the latest and greatest bells and whistles...it is like being at the control panel of a UFO.

One of the downsides to buying one of these Asian made HU's has been eluded to in various posts of the past...the manufactures try to be very helpful, but their English language skills are not always the best...and it takes almost a full day to get a response due to the time differences.

Thanks for posting the link for the Seicane HU for the 2005 Corvette...based on my experience with my trucks Android 7.1 unit...I think I'm gonna pull the trigger and get their unit along with a few of the accessories they offer.
Cool, be sure to post up your experience. If you have good luck ill prob get one too.
BAAD LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 PM   #445
mr84monte
CF Member

Hmm, the way they make it sound, it looks like you don't need anything else in order for the steering wheel controls to work, wonder if this also goes for the door chimes etc. I might have to ask them. Thanks for posting the link
mr84monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #446
mr84monte
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr84monte View Post
Hmm, the way they make it sound, it looks like you don't need anything else in order for the steering wheel controls to work, wonder if this also goes for the door chimes etc. I might have to ask them. Thanks for posting the link
As a follow up, I reached out to Seicane, and they are still checking to see if this will work with the Bose system. I sent a picture of the stock unit, and they didn't understand when I asked if things like the door chimes will still work (response was that it has an amplifier built in) They did say that the steering wheel controls will work without adding a PAC unit.
mr84monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:24 PM   #447
BAAD LS2
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
C6 of Month Winner 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr84monte View Post
As a follow up, I reached out to Seicane, and they are still checking to see if this will work with the Bose system. I sent a picture of the stock unit, and they didn't understand when I asked if things like the door chimes will still work (response was that it has an amplifier built in) They did say that the steering wheel controls will work without adding a PAC unit.
good stuff. Keep us updated.
BAAD LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #448
bjmsam
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmsam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmsam View Post
I remain so pleased with the Android head unit that I installed in my C6Z nearly three years ago that I just bought another one, this time for my 2009 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6. These are improving all the time...
After a month of ownership, I must report that the 6.x units are lightning fast but remain far from polished at this time. For anyone interested, I am documenting my challenges with that particular unit here (that model is packaged for the RAV4 dash but the guts are identical to generic models that one might consider for a Corvette). Firmware updates will resolve most, if not all, of those problems eventually, but folks who don't want to wait or tinker might be better off sticking with 5.x.

Meanwhile, the 4.x unit in my C6Z remains bulletproof. In fact, itís better than ever after installing two apps worth noting here...
One significant feature that my 6.x unit offers that my 4.x unit lacks is suspend / resume, which avoids reboots for up to two hours after the ignition is switched off. Sweet!
bjmsam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #449
Quick2
CF Senior Member

bjmsam, thank you for introducing me to this unit. I had my 4.4 since Feb. 2015 and been very happy with it despite a couple of bugs. Have you done any updates to the unit and what are your favorite apps?
Quick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #450
bjmsam
CF Senior Member

Glad to hear it! I primarily use these apps:

Torque - monitors and logs engine parameters, reads and resets CEL codes, etc.
iGo - off-line navigation (I prefer it to even Garmin Nuvi)
MyCars - tracks fuel fill-ups and mileage
Twilight - gradually adjusts the screen brightness within a configurable range as the sun rises and sets based on GPS position.
All-In-One Toolbox - launches apps automatically when the head unit boots (as long as they are not moved to the SD Card) and offers many handy tools that optimize memory and CPU, manage files, etc.

I also use Google apps when in range of Wi-Fi (GMail, Calendar, Drive, etc.). What are your favorites?
bjmsam is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation
  •