Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 03:27 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by bjmsam
If the sound is worse after changing only the head unit, then either the old head unit was equalized for the speakers or something is wrong with the new head unit. My guess is the former rather than the latter based on experience with my '94 Stealth: with the stock head unit, aftermarket speakers sounded much worse than the stock speakers due to "factory equalization."

I don't know if the rear speakers are on a "channel" that is independent from the front speakers rather than merely the left and right channels attenuated by balance and fade.

Thanks again. I did some experimentation meanwhile and you are correct. The stock Bose speakers seem to like scooped mid's in equalization. I will be swapping them out soon as well after I add some acoustic treatment.

As far as the rear speakers are concerned, they seem to be matrixed somehow for rear fill with two channel material (which is what I was hoping for). I wont know for sure until I get some full range speakers installed.

Last edited by Rob 02; 03-30-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:19 AM
boonie c4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Default which of the pumpkin units would you recommend for my 08 C6?

Originally Posted by bjmsam
Update: That did the trick! It has connected reliably every time since reverting to the previous version of the OBDLink MX firmware

After a month of ownership, I must report that the 6.x units are lightning fast but remain far from polished at this time. For anyone interested, I am documenting my challenges with that particular unit here (that model is packaged for the RAV4 dash but the guts are identical to generic models that one might consider for a Corvette). Firmware updates will resolve most, if not all, of those problems eventually, but folks who don't want to wait or tinker might be better off sticking with 5.x.

Meanwhile, the 4.x unit in my C6Z remains bulletproof. In fact, it’s better than ever after installing two apps worth noting here. Twilight gradually adjusts the screen brightness within a configurable range as the sun rises and sets based on GPS position. All-In-One Toolbox launches such apps automatically when the head unit boots (as long as they are not moved to the SD Card) and offers many handy tools that optimize memory and CPU, manage files, etc. Both are free and well worth a try!
I'm presently running a Pioneer 4200 nex but i like your write up so i'm asking regarding my present 08 C6 which contains a 5 channel amp a sub with front separates and rear coaxial speakers along with having access to 2 usb hookups which pumpkin unit would you recommend?
thanks boonie. marvinbriggs@frontier.com

Last edited by boonie c4; 04-04-2017 at 01:20 AM. Reason: and my email address
Old 04-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Z2Z
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.carjoying.com/head-unit/a-c/chevrolet-head-units/chevrolet-corvette-aftermarket-android-stereo-navigation-system/joying-newest-ram-2gb-rom-32gb-factory-cd-player-replacement-new-android-5-1-1-lollipop-system-pip-auto-radio-7-inch-double-2-din-hd-1024-600.html

i have this one and it works fantastically. The buttons can be programmed to color match almost perfectly and the one **** is a great match to the HVAC controls.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:28 PM
Power-Valve
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Forum

I got one of newer units from Pumpkin w/ 2GB RAM sitting here on my desk. And a Pac Audio RP5-GM11.

I am just curious about the audio signal wiring... Should I use the speaker outputs to feed into the Pac Adapter or the RCA outputs? Then I'd need to solder RCA plugs to the non shielded cables from the Pac Adapter which seems weird...

Cheers from Germany...
Uwe
Name:  kabel.JPG
Views: 1033
Size:  75.9 KB
Old 04-17-2017, 12:34 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Power-Valve
Hi Forum

I got one of newer units from Pumpkin w/ 2GB RAM sitting here on my desk. And a Pac Audio RP5-GM11.

I am just curious about the audio signal wiring... Should I use the speaker outputs to feed into the Pac Adapter or the RCA outputs? Then I'd need to solder RCA plugs to the non shielded cables from the Pac Adapter which seems weird...

Cheers from Germany...
Uwe
Looks like you still have the ISO connector on the headunit harness. As bjmsam referenced in the first post of this thread, you need to cut off the ISO connector and wire the GM11 wires to the used-to-be-ISO wires of the same color. PAC adapter requires speaker-level inputs and not line-level (RCA) inputs.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:27 AM
Power-Valve
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Trios
...PAC adapter requires speaker-level inputs and not line-level (RCA) inputs.
... that's what I was looking for... But I would have loved to NOT use the speaker outputs and switch off the internal amp... whatever.

One more: There are two ways of connecting power to the Radio. Either thru the ISO Connector or thru the small white connector. That's the one I used during my tests on my office desk w/ a computer power supply.

Which one is preferable or should I even connect both?

Cheers
Uwe
Old 04-18-2017, 11:09 AM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Originally Posted by tracybarnes
Check this unit for direct fit and front and rear cam capability:

http://www.seicane.com/2005-2006-che...ontrol-s018724
Has anyone used this unit? Does it fit other year c6 aside from 2005-2006? I really want one that is a direct fit for 2010 zr1 w/ nav, as I hate the look of the adapter plates.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:57 PM
Power-Valve
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BAAD LS2
Has anyone used this unit? Does it fit other year c6 aside from 2005-2006? I really want one that is a direct fit for 2010 zr1 w/ nav, as I hate the look of the adapter plates.
It should fit in any C6 as they never changed the SatNav. (just added a USB Port at some point)

Did you see the first post? The adapter plate is just a frame and it looks pretty much OEM...

Cheers
Uwe
Old 04-18-2017, 01:12 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

2017 C6 of Year

It should fit in any C6 as they never changed the SatNav. (just added a USB Port at some point)

Did you see the first post? The adapter plate is just a frame and it looks pretty much OEM...

Cheers
Uwe
That was my thought as well, but found it odd they only called it our for 2 years.

Yes, I know what the adapter looks like, and in my opinion it doesn't match 100% perfectly, I don't want to have to trim and paint/etc. Been through that on my last car.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:42 PM
Power-Valve
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BAAD LS2
That was my thought as well, but found it odd they only called it our for 2 years.

Yes, I know what the adapter looks like, and in my opinion it doesn't match 100% perfectly, I don't want to have to trim and paint/etc. Been through that on my last car.
I'd rather trim the frame and get a better unit with 2GB RAM. The 1GB units are getting very slow with the newer Android versions. And I'd go for a bigger screen instead of the DVD drive but that's a personal preference...
Old 04-19-2017, 05:27 AM
Power-Valve
5th Gear

I'd rather trim a frame and get a newer unit with 2GB RAM. With 5.1.1 Android 1GB units ofter lag...
Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 AM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Seicane is a horrible company. Defective head unit and DVD player, don't stand behind their product at all unless you're willing to mail it back to China for repair, not even cross ship. Lots of reports on Rennlist about bad MOST adapters. They offer a mirrorlink from your phone that I paid for and they won't even send it to me. Here's the last exchange with them. Anyone who spends money with this company is feeding the troll.

Hello
please fix it at your local car repair shop.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Seicane Team
www.seicane.com

Date: 2017-04-24 06:14
To: sales1@seicane.com
Subject: RE: RE: AutoReply: RE: RE: seicane limited: Shipment # 105272953 for Order # 105279803
My Cayenne has been in the body shop for a few months. I love my car. It's like new inside and out and the Seicane unit was supposed to be a dream. Listen, my DVD player is completely dead, has been since delivery. You never gave me the mirror link software and I want what I paid for. I want my DVD replaced. I'll be happy to give you a deposit, PAY for a new DVD player and you refund me when I send the dead unit back. But I want my DVD player and I want my mirrorlink software. I don't know what to even do about the antenna anymore. I can't leave a giant hole in my dash for months while I ship the unit back to China and I shouldn't have to pay all the labor to swap it in and out, so I'm just stuck and will just give up on the antenna issue if you JUST FIX THE OTHER ISSUES. PLEASE. I paid through paypal which isn't going to help me at all so I'm reduced to begging for what I paid for. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:57 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

After more than three years now, all apps are current, everything functions perfectly, and it remains my favorite upgrade.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:13 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm still not clear on how to upgrade the firmware. I have the "no DVD" issue.
I have thought about getting the newer unit but I'm going to wait.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:22 AM
bjmsam
Pro

Pumpkin referenced a firmware update in 2015 (here?) but I never bothered with it. They were very responsive to my questions during installation, so if you can't find the download or instructions, I bet they would be happy to help (searching their forum on GS-C0219 and JY-C0227 might be useful as well). The XDA forum is another resource (RK30SDK). Good luck, and please keep us posted!

BTW, the Android 6.x unit that I installed in my RAV4 earlier this year works great after recent firmware updates worked out all of the major kinks on that new platform but it doesn't do anything more or better enough to justify upgrading the Android 4.4.2 unit in my Z06.

Last edited by bjmsam; 07-29-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 02
I'm still not clear on how to upgrade the firmware. I have the "no DVD" issue.
I have thought about getting the newer unit but I'm going to wait.
what does updating the firmware do? I just pick things up and put them down
Old 07-29-2017, 09:45 AM
bjmsam
Pro

I don't know what the Joying firmware that Pumpkin referenced does for this unit specifically, but for the Android 6.x unit in my RAV4, some of the significant changes included:
  • lower the voltage threshold to eliminate reboots during engine start
  • suspend for X minutes when ACC is switched off to eliminate reboot when ACC is switched back on (it takes less than two seconds to restore)
  • improve Bluetooth connectivity
  • improve screen brightness control
  • improve steering wheel and hard button mappings
  • improve MCU apps (radio, music)
  • improve boot logo
  • Android OS patches

All of those "improve" statements above were addressing problems with the emerging 6.x architecture that did not affect the 4.4.2 unit in my Z06 but are examples of what firmware updates can address.

Get notified of new replies

To Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation

Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

2017 C6 of Year

I'd rather trim a frame and get a newer unit with 2GB RAM. With 5.1.1 Android 1GB units ofter lag...
It looks like they have updated this unit to have 2GB and Android 7.1.1.

https://www.seicane.com/2005-2006-ch...ontrol-s018724

I'm very interested if anyone else has any experience with these.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Jmelz
Advanced

I picked up a ga2164 2gb memory unit after reading this thread.

Installed yesterday... Messy job on my trimming of the metra kit, so I had to order another.

Also...no idea where to get am illumination wire, so I used the too far right one on the HVAC controller (cream?). It lights up the buttons but doesn't seem to dim with the interior lights on the dash...

​​​​​It seems to be working well enough...

Last edited by Jmelz; 08-06-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jmelz
I picked up a ga2164 2gb memory unit after reading this thread.

Installed yesterday... Messy job on my trimming of the metra kit, so I had to order another.

Also...no idea where to get am illumination wire, so I used the too far right one on the HVAC controller (cream?). It lights up the buttons but doesn't seem to dim with the interior lights on the dash...

​​​​​It seems to be working well enough...
Is it for a C5? If so then I can find an illumination wire in my factory service manual later.

What year is your car?

Quick Reply: Android Head Unit & Backup Camera Installation