Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

1997 coupe total audio rebuild.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Bstrang6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 coupe total audio rebuild.

I recently purchased a 97 coupe and I've had it completely painted and its currently in the shop getting all of the little odds and ends fixed from a couple years of neglect.

Next and final step is audio. The car came with a cheap walmart single din, and the install was a total hack job. Im doing the car up for my father, and want him to have a nice set up. My plan is to do a double din kenwood head unit, and replace the door speakers with a set of three way polk 6x9's that I have ( used them as deck speakers in another car for a while, but they were too bright for rears for me, so I think they will be perfect for him ) and probably nothing in the rear.

I know I have a little bit of fab work in the dash to physically mount the double din, which seems pretty straight forward, and the bezel should be a cake walk as well. My area of concern is wiring. Its a factory bose car and has already been hacked a bit. I was wanting to run all new wiring. I was going to grab switched twelve volt from fuse 22 and constant from the battery directly, as well as ground. There should be an illumination wire in the HVAC harness, which I believe is a beige wire, then run new speaker wire to the doors ( and the rear for future expansion ) Will there be any side effects from this? I'm going to leave the adaptor thats currently wired into the factory harness tucked back in there, just not use it. Im not planning on a back up camera or gps so I won't need those wires, but its been a while since I put a head unit in, are there any other connections I'm forgetting?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:36 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 131 Likes on 113 Posts

Connecting as you described will work fine in C5. Running all new wires is the way to go.

Everything will work, but the 6x9's will probably want a lot more power than the radio itself will be able to give it. A small aftermarket amp would be a very good investment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 coupe total audio rebuild.