Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing Kenwood DNX892 and Camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 07:10 PM
ta-kid
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Installing Kenwood DNX892 and Camera

So since I have got use to back up cameras in my other cars I have decided to upgrade my 08 Z nav to a Kenwood DNX892 with back up camera,XM module and necessary harnesses to retain RAp and SW controls.The Kenwood has a bigger screen and Garmin NAv to boot.The clock in my stock Nav unit was doing the eastern zone reset all the time anyways,even though it was not that aggravating in reality.
Just finished rebuilding my seats and installing manual pump up lumbar pillows behind the seat cushions.Much nicer.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:29 PM
bartsky
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 244 Posts

I always power my camera so I can turn it on while driving if I like...
Old 12-27-2015, 12:23 AM
JagNorb
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ta-kid
So since I have got use to back up cameras in my other cars I have decided to upgrade my 08 Z nav to a Kenwood DNX892 with back up camera,XM module and necessary harnesses to retain RAp and SW controls.The Kenwood has a bigger screen and Garmin NAv to boot.The clock in my stock Nav unit was doing the eastern zone reset all the time anyways,even though it was not that aggravating in reality.
Just finished rebuilding my seats and installing manual pump up lumbar pillows behind the seat cushions.Much nicer.
I am replacing my DNX772 with a DNX892 after I return from vacation. The DNX772 is awesome, I just want a front AND rear camera input.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:38 AM
lucmac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JagNorb
I am replacing my DNX772 with a DNX892 after I return from vacation. The DNX772 is awesome, I just want a front AND rear camera input.
Specifically where in the car will the front and rear cameras get routed? Where will the hole be drilled through the firewall? Will the rear camera be routed along the side of the car and up through the underside of the dash in a footwell or will it get routed under the middle of the rear luggage carpet and somehow under the center console up into area behind the head unit?

Take a lot of pics and share! 😊
Old 12-27-2015, 12:43 PM
ta-kid
Instructor

Rear cameras are relatively simple to route and yes they just get routed on either side of the car.Mine is going to be a license plate mount with LEDS for nite vision.I would think a front mount will be more difficult to route due to the firewall,but maybe there is an easy hole with grommet already somewhere in the firewall to make it easy??
Old 12-27-2015, 01:06 PM
JagNorb
Pro

Originally Posted by ta-kid
Rear cameras are relatively simple to route and yes they just get routed on either side of the car.Mine is going to be a license plate mount with LEDS for nite vision.I would think a front mount will be more difficult to route due to the firewall,but maybe there is an easy hole with grommet already somewhere in the firewall to make it easy??
We routed front camera cable through passenger door opening and under fender.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:52 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

We routed front camera cable through passenger door opening and under fender.
I've done that many times

There's also a gromet behind the battery that you can somewhat easily shove a few more wires through, but you have to remove the battery to get at it.

Rear camera is easy, wires get shoved under the carpet on the way to the back, then just drill a hole in the rear wall behind the vertical 'carpet'.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:33 PM
lucmac
Intermediate

We routed front camera cable through passenger door opening and under ender.
I looked at the passenger door, don't see a place to get into the car that doesn't get pinched. Where exactly do you get in?
Old 12-28-2015, 01:45 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

This pic is from the engine, I thought I had a good one from inside the door but this one is as good as it gets. Poke a small hole in the accordion gizmo and run the cables in through the 3x5" plastic cover under the dash. If the hole is on the bottom you won't have to worry about water leaking in, just be sure to leave enough slack in the wires.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:24 AM
lucmac
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markcz
This pic is from the engine, I thought I had a good one from inside the door but this one is as good as it gets. Poke a small hole in the accordion gizmo and run the cables in through the 3x5" plastic cover under the dash. If the hole is on the bottom you won't have to worry about water leaking in, just be sure to leave enough slack in the wires.
What were you powering off the fuse box? I would prefer to find a fuse spot tied to the accessory bus and hope there is one easy to get to up there.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:24 PM
markcz
Tech Contributor

This pic is from my last car. The wire coming out of the fuse box is just an add-a-fuse tap on normal switched power in the engine compartment. I was using it for my concealed radar detector.

The jumper that loops around inside the fuse box is there to have my fogs come on whenever the bright lights are on. How to is in post 25 of THIS THREAD

If you're replacing the radio I'd suggest using an interface adapter so you can keep RAP and the chimes. Use the adapter trigger wire to pull in a relay with fused B+ on the contacts and you can power anything you want to and have it come on/off with the radio power.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:52 PM
ta-kid
Instructor

Ok so I got the DNX892 installed and everything seems to be working.Still getting Familiar with the unit.Got XM fired up and Cell paired.I installed the corvette flags and script for the splash wallpaper screen.There is three screens for home you can scroll through and the last screen has three icons I would like to delete off the screen so whan My music is playing and I go back to the home screen,all I see is the wallpaper I installed.Anyway of deleting the icons I do not need.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:43 PM
kev1n
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can the DNX892 work with factory speakers etc? I just want an upgraded Head unit from stock. I really want to add front and rear cameras.

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 04-21-2016, 01:04 PM
JagNorb
Pro

Originally Posted by kev1n
Can the DNX892 work with factory speakers etc? I just want an upgraded Head unit from stock. I really want to add front and rear cameras.

Thanks!

Kevin
Yes, it connects to the stock Bosr speakers in my Grand Sport and the sound is awesome.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 AM
markcz
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by kev1n

Thanks!

Kevin
Yes, it works great, but you need to have the proper adapters

Call Dennis at DoubleDmods.com to get what your car needs.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing Kenwood DNX892 and Camera

Quick Reply: Installing Kenwood DNX892 and Camera