Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My C5Z's audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Z06_ER
Navigator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Based on my install/tear down that is not stock. 2001 Z06 with 45k miles. When I pulled my interior i had carpet and then fiberglass body. I put down raamat and ensolite. I would see how easy it is to take up. If it comes up easy take out then lay down the raamat and put back down the rubber like inserts. If not then i would then just lay the raamat down over it. With both layers down your carpet should go down just fine on the reinstall.

Just my 2 $0.01's
Old 09-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

so far everything ive seen including your post leads me to believe its not stock.

does it matter that mines a 50th or not at all?
Old 09-22-2016, 11:07 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

the stuff in my car stops at the back side if the seats. this explains thats silver tape on the slop of the center storage bin...
Old 09-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

I used Vettessentials write up to take off the door panels. Heres whats under.

Unplug the connector by hand

6x 9/32 screws holding the stock bose speakers to the door panel

This is all the insulation the previous owner had installed... was a real pain to take off.. total weight, 16 pounds.

Here's what it looked like under. I decided to leave the residu, it was still very sticky and would take forever to take off.

Close up

This is the total weight of all the Raamat BXT and ensolite = 36.18 LBS

I said to myself that since all these components are coming off and I have access to a scale, that some of you would appreciate the weights of various components. During the rest of this write-up i will post weights of everything i get my hands on.

Drivers seat = 40.58 LBS

Passenger seat = 31.02 LBS

To take off the drivers side carpet you must take off these two plastic pieces and the hardware is 4 x 10mm nuts, use a deep socket.

Here is some of the Raamat applied...you gotta work it in with your fingers/hands. I just started randomly anywhere and cut pieces to fit. Hopefully it turns out good!

screen capture windows

Last edited by Georgies; 09-25-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

I got a question....How do you guys run the reverse wire up to the head unit? Also, is there a way to activate the reverse camera while driving with my Dnx893S?
Old 10-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Ok made some progress over the week. Finish almost all the Raamat, I have about half a sheet left. I wish i had more but being here in Canada and wanting to get this finished so I can enjoy my Vette a while befor putting her away for winter, Ill just have to live with it.

I fully did the outer door skins and rear. I did not put any on the floor pan or tunnel. I have some Kevlar heavy fabric that im going to put over the tunnel and foot areas.

Then go all out with the Ensolit on everything I can. Would it be a bad idea to put some under the corner subwoofers that go in either side compartments in the trunk?

Passed the bluetooth microphone from the rear view mirror along the headliner, under the weather strip along the a-pillar on the driver's side and into the dash out the center console via a access panel between the dash and the area where the apilar meets the body.

Also I called up Dennis DD mods and he told me where to attach all the wires. I tried to follow the directions but couldn't with the illumination wire on the AC unit I'm getting from the wires about .1 to .2 volts when playing with the dimmer. I read somewhere on ls1.com that's what the new Kenwood's you could just plug the illumination wire to the same colored wire on the GM harness.

Another problem I'm having is I currently have a window valet from Top-Down Tech installed and Dennis told me that it shouldn't be a problem and will work like before.

When I take out the key with the doors closed the unit shuts off, and also if I press the unlock key button on my key fob the windows open but the receiver doesn't turn on.

No I'm not sure if it's because of the way I wired it under the footwell but my friend found a spare wire connector with 3 wires and tapped into that. I'll post a few pictures of the wiring.

heberger une image

Did I use the right wires??
Old 10-02-2016, 09:43 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Anyone gonna chime in on some of my questions? I need some help guys I want to finish with this.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

This is the pannel I took off to pass the bluetooth microphone wire to the receiver

image gratuite à télécharger

Here are the speakers and tweets and crossovers mounted to the Metra adapter plates. I also used some rammat to isolate the mounting surfaces to help reduce any vibrations coming from the plastic Metra plates. Tried to do it as clean as possible.

Mounted

Rear camera mounted in center via some amazing double sided tape my friend has. I plan on changing the camera as the resolution is absolute horse **** for this day in age...!

Here you can see the bezel does not fit to the stock location of the HVAC....

Here I had to cut off the locating dowels on the HVAC and re drill it to make it fit properly to the modified bezel...

Results

Here I fabricated a aluminum bracket to mount the amp on the floor pan

TIG welds filled smooth

Tapped the bracket with M4 tap and used M4 Allen head bolts and mounted to the back of amp.

Here is the amp mounted to the floor pan via carazyyyy double sided tape. Ill get the brand name from my friend cause this stuff is RIDICULOUSLY strong!!

Here I made some spacers out of thick Felt fabric because the rear speakers that were sold to me were too deep and hit the body panel. I thought this stuff would be good cause its easy to cut and has some dampening qualities...

I will probably go back and re adjust the HVAC a little higher maybe say 1mm once i button up all the other crap thats left...

Last edited by Georgies; 10-03-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:09 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

1000+ vies and 6 comments.... not like the mustang world I'm used too...
Old 10-03-2016, 03:54 PM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I continue to watch. I enjoy the pictures.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

finally took the vette out of the garage to test drive it before I reassemble the interior... I have a problem, when i stick the key into the ignition, the HU turns on normally, when i start the car the HU turns off and turns back on in about 30 seconds... What gives?

Dont know what to do about this... Any suggestions??

Thanks
Old 10-07-2016, 09:29 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Here are some pictures of the Ensolite installed throughout the car wherever Raamat was applied. Also put it bare on the tunnel.

Listening to my sound system while installing one! Old school Marantz pre-amp and two Yamaha power amps runing 4 Cerwin Vega D9's !!! Good thing my garage is in a industrial area cause it gets LOUD!

Precision Acoustic Pro wires passed for the sub woofers. Tried to hide everything as best as possible for a clean installation.

This is the results of the Felt fabric. Fits snug, and the speaker does NOT rest against the body panel anymore! Genius!

Almost done, finished off durning the night. This is the amp bolted threw the carpet onto the aluminum bracket I made. Came out pretty clean and non intrusive for the female passenger...

Finished results!

Seat all the way back

Seat all the way forward

Trunk Shot
The following 2 users liked this post by Georgies:
FinishLine (01-14-2018), tommie (03-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2016, 10:13 AM
TheProsecutor
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Very nice install. Thank for all of the pictures.
The following users liked this post:
Georgies (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:36 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Thanks I appreciate the kind comments.

Only a few things I'm not satisfied with yet.

- I'm not able to open the HU as it hits the bezel. Maybe Dennis at DD Mods will chime in and give me some advice how to modify the bezel to make it fit. I was thinking a sanding drum on a Dremel??

- Also need to get a hold of someone at Top down Tech to order the Accessory Valet so the Retained Accessory Power works. Very hard to reach them.

- Next up going to look into getting the bezel wrapped in vinyl to match the dash properly as I'm unhappy with the bezels hand feel and mismatch color. It looks nice in pictures, but in person it's a completely different story.

- Last but not least, need to order a front and reverse camera as I do not have one in front but DID run the wires and also need to change the rear because the resolution is horrible.

Any suggestions for cameras??
Whats the max resolution RCA's can take?
Old 10-07-2016, 11:03 PM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Did that HD amp knock out your FM reception in a C5?
Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Curt D
Did that HD amp knock out your FM reception in a C5?

Just tried the radio today. And it works okay. Im also running a shorty antenna.

Have you had any problems or heard any about this amp?
Old 10-09-2016, 06:06 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgies
Just tried the radio today. And it works okay. Im also running a shorty antenna.

Have you had any problems or heard any about this amp?
Thx.
It's common with the JL class D amps, not only in vettes. Mine is mounted in the rear of a C6 and most of the time it won't even find a station. I have new class a/b amps coming.

Get notified of new replies

To My C5Z's audio upgrade

Old 10-09-2016, 06:53 AM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Well im glad mine works!! Maybe its the mounting location?
Old 10-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Well its been 5-6 days with the install done, and here are my comments:

-sound is wicked! cristal clear and great base. ZERO vibrations in the car even when POUNDING IT. The deck lid has some vibrations when pushing the base but you can only hear it outside the car.

-I dont know why some guys say it didn't make a difference for them, but the Raamat and Ensolite combination has rendered this vette very docile from the cockpit. Huge difference in NVH !!

-The receiver in nice looking, but slow to connect to my bluetooth when entering the car(maybe due to old HTC M8 phone) ,

-can't see where you are during a song(track time)

-when at zero volume you can hold the volume "up button" and it will quickly rise to 15 out of 40. From then on you have to push the button 25 times to reach the max (40).

-cant add any backgrounds (maybe update needed?)

A couple of more minor things but all in all im pleased!

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2016, 07:14 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgies

Well its been 5-6 days with the install done, and here are my comments:

-sound is wicked! cristal clear and great base. ZERO vibrations in the car even when POUNDING IT. The deck lid has some vibrations when pushing the base but you can only hear it outside the car.

-I dont know why some guys say it didn't make a difference for them, but the Raamat and Ensolite combination has rendered this vette very docile from the cockpit. Huge difference in NVH !!

-The receiver in nice looking, but slow to connect to my bluetooth when entering the car(maybe due to old HTC M8 phone) ,

-can't see where you are during a song(track time)

-when at zero volume you can hold the volume "up button" and it will quickly rise to 15 out of 40. From then on you have to push the button 25 times to reach the max (40).

-cant add any backgrounds (maybe update needed?)

A couple of more minor things but all in all im pleased!

Thanks!
Great job

Quick Reply: My C5Z's audio upgrade