Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

My C5 Double Din Upgrade Experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 02:34 PM
hcd1971
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My C5 Double Din Upgrade Experience

Hey folks,

I though I would share my experience. When I bought my 2001 C5 last year, I didn't really pay any attention to the fact that it had the factory stereo, because I knew I would just upgrade it. I certainly didn't know then what a challenge it would turn out to be. However, I'm glad to say that I did it and I feel a weird sense of a accomplishment and a bit of disappointment that the journey of discovery is over for the moment. I garnered pretty much all the information I needed to do my install from this forum, so thank you to all of you who've posted information for such an endeavor. I'm sharing a video of my experience. Perhaps it will help those of you mulling over the idea to do the same and fill any gaps from other information on this forum. I know I probably made some mistakes, but I like the way it turned out and am happy.

Check it out:

The following users liked this post:
Plentyfast (05-04-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:09 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

Nice video. I recently did mine. I included a sub cable just in case. Low and behold I got the itch for a sub and speakers. Just ordered them.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM
hcd1971
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Rob 02
Nice video. I recently did mine. I included a sub cable just in case. Low and behold I got the itch for a sub and speakers. Just ordered them.
I knew I forgot something!!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:00 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice job

As with a couple of others, I just did mine as well. Went with a full "Rock in a Box" package to sooth my inner sixteen year old. Took my interior all the way out. Hadn't done anything else like that in quite some time...

Might get more views if you post to the C5 General Forum too!

Enjoy!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Plentyfast
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hcd1971
Hey folks,

I though I would share my experience. When I bought my 2001 C5 last year, I didn't really pay any attention to the fact that it had the factory stereo, because I knew I would just upgrade it. I certainly didn't know then what a challenge it would turn out to be. However, I'm glad to say that I did it and I feel a weird sense of a accomplishment and a bit of disappointment that the journey of discovery is over for the moment. I garnered pretty much all the information I needed to do my install from this forum, so thank you to all of you who've posted information for such an endeavor. I'm sharing a video of my experience. Perhaps it will help those of you mulling over the idea to do the same and fill any gaps from other information on this forum. I know I probably made some mistakes, but I like the way it turned out and am happy.

Check it out:

https://youtu.be/6JvfObocUc8

Thanks for the Video and the review.

I also have the Pioneer 8200 and is waiting to be installed when I get back my bezel modification from Double D Mods. I took out and mailed it off to Dennis on March 30th.

The next week I took out my stock stereo, cut out the shelf and routed the rear-view camera, GPS and XM antennas, the hands free microphone.

Since then, I've washed, polished, waxed and changed the oil ... everything but drive darn thing since last October.

Hopefully I'll get the Bezel soon and I report back on how the head unit install goes.
hcd1971 (05-05-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:23 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks for taking the time to video your work. Can you advise where you got the two HDMI/aux plug adapters that you installed - the one inside your console lid and the other one in the cigarette lighter socket?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:43 AM
hcd1971
4th Gear

Originally Posted by wamara
Thanks for taking the time to video your work. Can you advise where you got the two HDMI/aux plug adapters that you installed - the one inside your console lid and the other one in the cigarette lighter socket?
I bought them on Amazon.....

Here's the link for the dual USB:
Amazon Amazon

Here's the link for the HDMI / Aux Port:
Amazon Amazon

I bought the 2M versions which were WAY TOO LONG, but I took the risk because I figured it'd be better to have more than enough cable than not enough. I think if you got the 1M (3ft versions), you'll be ok.

Also keep in mind that you will have to make the existing cigarette lighter cutout out circles just a bit slightly larger to fit these in the holes. I used a slightly larger hole making drill bit. Be careful to not make them too much larger, as you want them to be snug. The locking nut on the back has to be tight too, which is a challenge for the console due to the space back there, but not impossible.

Good luck!
Plentyfast (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:02 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hcd1971
I bought them on Amazon.....

Here's the link for the dual USB:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the link for the HDMI / Aux Port:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought the 2M versions which were WAY TOO LONG, but I took the risk because I figured it'd be better to have more than enough cable than not enough. I think if you got the 1M (3ft versions), you'll be ok.

Also keep in mind that you will have to make the existing cigarette lighter cutout out circles just a bit slightly larger to fit these in the holes. I used a slightly larger hole making drill bit. Be careful to not make them too much larger, as you want them to be snug. The locking nut on the back has to be tight too, which is a challenge for the console due to the space back there, but not impossible.

Good luck!
I used some of the same connectors on mine as well. Seem to work good. Are you having any issues with heat from the tranny tunnel impacting data transfer from phone to HU?
Old 05-07-2017, 02:57 PM
stevey
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

getting ready to do this myself thanks for the video!

Get notified of new replies

To My C5 Double Din Upgrade Experience

Quick Reply: My C5 Double Din Upgrade Experience