Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

C6 battery drain after aftermarket HU

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 02:59 PM
viktors94
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6 battery drain after aftermarket HU

Hi. This winter I installed a headunit which replaced the oem unit. I installed it with a pac c2r-gm24 unit and some groundloops. It works good. However, since I installed this my battery is draining in a couple of days. Before I installed this unit the car would drain a battery from full 12.7 to 11.5 in about a month while its currently draining the battery from 12.7 to 11.5 in 2 days, so something is hot.
Accidentally left the battery without a charger for 4 days a week ago, and it drained the battery all the way down to 4V.

Im quite certain that this has to do with the new headunit since it's the only thing Ive touched. The headunit screen is shutting down aswell as the speakers from what I can hear, but I've read on the forums and a guy mentioned that the amp doesnt turn off and that you need a relay to shut it down with the pac. Where can I measure to see if the amp is turned on? And how would I install a relay to shut off the amp?
Best regards, Viktor
Old 05-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Do you have a mulitmeter?

If not, get one or find someone that has one. With it, you can test to see any of your components are still on (drawing power) while the car is off.

Also most amps have a light to indicate it is on. What amp do you have?
Old 05-11-2017, 04:54 PM
viktors94
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Do you have a mulitmeter?

If not, get one or find someone that has one. With it, you can test to see any of your components are still on (drawing power) while the car is off.

Also most amps have a light to indicate it is on. What amp do you have?
I have the factory amp. Tested with a multimeter and the current drain after shutdown was 150mA total. Started pulling fuses and the REAR FOG/ALDL/TOP SW took it down to 50mA, so something is still causing the expected 17mA draw that people usually have. Wondering if the headunit could be causing some extra draw compared to the old OEM unit. Turns out its not the amp, could switch the car on for a sec but not use the radio(but it turned on) with the multimeter connected(max 10A 15s) so Im not sure if the amp even turned on. Ill try in the c6 section instead to get some help with the fuse. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To C6 battery drain after aftermarket HU

Quick Reply: C6 battery drain after aftermarket HU