Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Pioneer Avic-7200 vs. Alpine INE-W960

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:06 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I just finished a partial install with wires hooked up... Bought a Pac-TR7 .
Fired right up and went thru quick settings....And noticed a better sound already with all sound setting's flat.
I gotta learn the deck, but i set my X over's @ 80 on the mid's and woofer... and slop @ 18...
The equilizer is what i gotta learn as it is alot diff than im use to from my pioneer deck.. But played with it some but had hardly any sub even if i went in manually and raised level ? or i missed something..
So then i went to sound setting's where you have options of rock /jazz/ect... so i set it to rock and then i gained my base and sub hits now.....
So im assuming it is the E.Q. i have to play with now ? in order to get the sub to hit where it should. ?? Or possible that 5 channel amp is creating issue. ? But it will hit if i i manually pick ROCK in sound setting's... Sort of what i had with the pioneer in which i had to use some of their built in sound adjustments...for it to hit.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:35 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by carls2004
Fired right up and went thru quick settings....And noticed a better sound already with all sound setting's flat.
I gotta learn the deck, but i set my X over's @ 80 on the mid's and woofer... and slop @ 18...
The equilizer is what i gotta learn as it is alot diff than im use to from my pioneer deck.. But played with it some but had hardly any sub even if i went in manually and raised level ? or i missed something..
So then i went to sound setting's where you have options of rock /jazz/ect... so i set it to rock and then i gained my base and sub hits now.....
So im assuming it is the E.Q. i have to play with now ? in order to get the sub to hit where it should. ?? Or possible that 5 channel amp is creating issue. ? But it will hit if i i manually pick ROCK in sound setting's... Sort of what i had with the pioneer in which i had to use some of their built in sound adjustments...for it to hit.

this deck takes a bit to learn and honestly i should make a youtube video because no one else has. give me a day or so. too many people on various forums have asked me about this because the deck is not that easy to get at first
The following users liked this post:
carls2004 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 09:05 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Received 406 Likes on 311 Posts

I had a similar issue in getting enough output from my subs. I leave all of the preset eq settings OFF. The only thing I use is the parametric eq and I boost the crap out of it at the 50 hz point and attenuate the 125hz along with the 1 to 4 Khz areas with ample boost in the 8 to 16K areas to account for my mature ears. Then I go into kwik sound where you can adjust bass, treble and subwoofer volume. There is where you can crank your sub volume up to what you need. If that doesn't do it, check the gain levels on your sub amp. Leave all other settings off. Do not use the bass engine or the media expander or custom sound for type of vehicle. They all sound like crap to me. I have used level one on the media expander with some success but it more gimmick than anything.

Oh and the part about noticing a better sound already with it set flat? I knew you would say that!

Racebum can be a huge help in getting your time alignment set right once you establish a baseline sound. You could also try a higher crossover point on the subs like 100 or 125 HZ but that usually introduces way too much mid bass that is unpleasant to my ears. Just my .02.

Last edited by 02BlownZ06; 07-12-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:06 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Originally Posted by racebum
this deck takes a bit to learn and honestly i should make a youtube video because no one else has. give me a day or so. too many people on various forums have asked me about this because the deck is not that easy to get at first

Yes! Please do this already!
Old 07-12-2017, 12:39 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

That be sweet....for a youtube video... wold help me and im sure other's alot..
Old 07-12-2017, 05:17 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Awwww crap... What have i done.... Now my A.B.S and trac light is on with a code C0121, Dont seem like the PAC-TR7 could do it..????? - Ill post this in Tech/perfor section i guess unless you guy's have a idea... Was never on till i fired car up after new head unit install

Last edited by carls2004; 07-12-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:46 PM
racebum
Race Director

Awwww crap... What have i done.... Now my A.B.S and trac light is on with a code C0121, Dont seem like the PAC-TR7 could do it..????? - Ill post this in Tech/perfor section i guess unless you guy's have a idea... Was never on till i fired car up after new head unit install
this is an abs valve code. did you accidently blow a fuse?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

this is an abs valve code. did you accidently blow a fuse?
Looking at pdc under hood mini fuse #3 i think it was was good, and the other bigger fuse that was labeled for abs i swapped with other and same issue... Erased code and takes about 15 sec and pop's back on... Seem funny i had no issue at all until sterio in and then started car..
Car orig had a aftermarket put in to work with bose and there is a os2-bose.. When i disconected the pioneer there was one wire(forgot color) and didnt know what it was for or if alpine needs to hook to it. Also was a wire tied int ebrake which i didnt see that it did anything so i left it unhooked....
Old 07-12-2017, 06:14 PM
racebum
Race Director

Looking at pdc under hood mini fuse #3 i think it was was good, and the other bigger fuse that was labeled for abs i swapped with other and same issue... Erased code and takes about 15 sec and pop's back on... Seem funny i had no issue at all until sterio in and then started car..
Car orig had a aftermarket put in to work with bose and there is a os2-bose.. When i disconected the pioneer there was one wire(forgot color) and didnt know what it was for or if alpine needs to hook to it. Also was a wire tied int ebrake which i didnt see that it did anything so i left it unhooked....
you absolutely have to check the wiring. colors are not 100% the same from pioneer to alpine. check where they are going and make sure you didn't knock something loose or have a loose wire somewhere. start unwinding this until you find the issue starting with the park brake
carls2004 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-12-2017, 06:28 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

you absolutely have to check the wiring. colors are not 100% the same from pioneer to alpine. check where they are going and make sure you didn't knock something loose or have a loose wire somewhere. start unwinding this until you find the issue starting with the park brake
You wouldnt think i did anything with install but ?... Ill remove console tomorrow and back track.. and see if i left that wire from the os-2bose hooked to ebrake or not...
Im looking at the pioneer connector now, and light/green wire is for parking brake power supply side.. AND im looking at orange/wh which is lighting switch i think... Im pretty sure it was the light green wire that was tied to the os-2bose that i did nothing with..
So other question is,,, Is that bose piece just there so i have chimes.. lol
Just got the micro bypass.. So while im inthere ill install that in place of the Pac-tr7

Last edited by carls2004; 07-12-2017 at 07:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-12-2017, 10:27 PM
racebum
Race Director

You wouldnt think i did anything with install but ?... Ill remove console tomorrow and back track.. and see if i left that wire from the os-2bose hooked to ebrake or not...
Im looking at the pioneer connector now, and light/green wire is for parking brake power supply side.. AND im looking at orange/wh which is lighting switch i think... Im pretty sure it was the light green wire that was tied to the os-2bose that i did nothing with..
So other question is,,, Is that bose piece just there so i have chimes.. lol
Just got the micro bypass.. So while im inthere ill install that in place of the Pac-tr7
from what i remember there is no lighting switch on alpine, check your color charts but it's not the same as pioneer
carls2004 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 AM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

This is 100% correct. Not all wiring colors are the same going from Pioneer to Alpine. I took my time and unhooked one wire at a time looking at Pioneer's wiring diagram and Alpine's diagram at the same time, making sure I got the Alpine wiring harness hooked to the correct wires in the car. It would be very easy to make a mistake so yes, backtracking your way through this is a must.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:03 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 02BlownZ06
This is 100% correct. Not all wiring colors are the same going from Pioneer to Alpine. I took my time and unhooked one wire at a time looking at Pioneer's wiring diagram and Alpine's diagram at the same time, making sure I got the Alpine wiring harness hooked to the correct wires in the car. It would be very easy to make a mistake so yes, backtracking your way through this is a must.
Just got done with taking H.U. back out.. So i double checked the wiring and it seems the one you have to watch out for on Alpine is their orange/wh as they use that for + side of back lamp..
So i unhooked all wiring and took out the PAC-TR7.
So i then wired in the MicroBypass instead, and hooked all back up.
Still A.B.S. code and light.
Im thinking i could of hit voltage to ground when i orig did swap and possibly acc mode had not kicked off yet. Reason i say this is i did it when i rewired and the chimes went off.. Then i remembered Acc takes awhile before it kicks off. I dont think the OS-2Bose could be bad ? after this as all is fine besides the ABS code and light.
All is working correctly and no fuses blown . But if i did hit pos to ground briefly it would seem i would of blown fuse...
Old 07-15-2017, 09:23 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

I had a similar issue in getting enough output from my subs. I leave all of the preset eq settings OFF. The only thing I use is the parametric eq and I boost the crap out of it at the 50 hz point and attenuate the 125hz along with the 1 to 4 Khz areas with ample boost in the 8 to 16K areas to account for my mature ears. Then I go into kwik sound where you can adjust bass, treble and subwoofer volume. There is where you can crank your sub volume up to what you need. If that doesn't do it, check the gain levels on your sub amp. Leave all other settings off. Do not use the bass engine or the media expander or custom sound for type of vehicle. They all sound like crap to me. I have used level one on the media expander with some success but it more gimmick than anything.

Oh and the part about noticing a better sound already with it set flat? I knew you would say that!

Racebum can be a huge help in getting your time alignment set right once you establish a baseline sound. You could also try a higher crossover point on the subs like 100 or 125 HZ but that usually introduces way too much mid bass that is unpleasant to my ears. Just my .02.
Been playing with H.U. And well it just will not push my sub like the pioneer 5700..
Was still thinking of getting that AudioTech fisher (helix) 5 channel amp out of veh and hook up my trusty old Boston GT42..4 channel amp.
Only question is i like doing X over setting from deck, and im going to be bridging rear channel to push sub..(trying it) . So since i want to do my X over adjust for sub from deck do i hook the sub (rca) on H.U. to rear channel of amp ?.. Friend said no. and to hook rear speaker from H.U. to amp and bridge amp. But i thought would defeat me in adjusting X over for sub from the deck.
Hope i explained my question good enough...

Last edited by carls2004; 07-15-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:02 AM
racebum
Race Director

Been playing with H.U. And well it just will not push my sub like the pioneer 5700..
Was still thinking of getting that AudioTech fisher (helix) 5 channel amp out of veh and hook up my trusty old Boston GT42..4 channel amp.
Only question is i like doing X over setting from deck, and im going to be bridging rear channel to push sub..(trying it) . So since i want to do my X over adjust for sub from deck do i hook the sub (rca) on H.U. to rear channel of amp ?.. Friend said no. and to hook rear speaker from H.U. to amp and bridge amp. But i thought would defeat me in adjusting X over for sub from the deck.
Hope i explained my question good enough...
it will

something is up

did you set your gains properly via voltage? use a 50hz test tone etc? also in your quick settings is the subwoofer control

i absolutely know what you mean that out of the box it seems light but you have to reset your gains and use the quick menu.

video will be done soon. been working a bunch
Old 07-16-2017, 10:53 AM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Yes i used a test tone on the amp gain...And the subwoofer in quick set is to max...
If i remember right i almost had same thing with the pioneer but when i set the loudness setting on LOW. the sub then came in where i liked and for my music... Anything above LOW loudness setting would kill sound of system in my opinion..
Oh the 12" sub im using is a down firing inclosed pioneer..That i set in the hatch area....
Old 07-16-2017, 12:08 PM
02BlownZ06
Drifting

Yes i used a test tone on the amp gain...And the subwoofer in quick set is to max...
If i remember right i almost had same thing with the pioneer but when i set the loudness setting on LOW. the sub then came in where i liked and for my music... Anything above LOW loudness setting would kill sound of system in my opinion..
Oh the 12" sub im using is a down firing inclosed pioneer..That i set in the hatch area....
Have you tried reversing phase on the sub? Also, even if you calibrated gain with test tone have you tried turning sub amp gain up even further? Just to be sure, you have gone into your settings and turned the sub pre out on, correct? You can hear it play, but it just doesn't hit hard enough?

Get notified of new replies

To Pioneer Avic-7200 vs. Alpine INE-W960

Old 07-16-2017, 02:50 PM
racebum
Race Director

where was the volume on the alpine when you saw the correct voltage? i normally set this at 25-26

on a 500w amp at 2ohms you should see 31v ac with the volume at 25 or 26, at 4ohms it should be 44v

also make sure your mids and highs amp is set to it's appropriate wattage as well. best results with speakers disconnected. with them connected the amp sees a reactive load
Old 07-16-2017, 03:45 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Have you tried reversing phase on the sub? Also, even if you calibrated gain with test tone have you tried turning sub amp gain up even further? Just to be sure, you have gone into your settings and turned the sub pre out on, correct? You can hear it play, but it just doesn't hit hard enough?
Yes i tried reversing phase..and it is turned on in deck. And if i turn up gain for sub anymore while i use 50hz test tone it starts a farting..And i made sure i set gain while mid's/tweets unhooked.
As i write this i had had tweak more on deck and noticed that it has individual speaker level adjust... So lets say you want the left front a little more to even out the stage.. And it has this for sub to. So is this just a Boost level ? db ? As in quick settings there is a level to even out sub to the rest of the system...
Seem weird they have two settings for sub level.

Last edited by carls2004; 07-16-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:49 PM
racebum
Race Director

Yes i tried reversing phase..and it is turned on in deck. And if i turn up gain for sub anymore while i use 50hz test tone it starts a farting..And i made sure i set gain while mid's/tweets unhooked.
As i write this i had had tweak more on deck and noticed that it has individual speaker level adjust... So lets say you want the left front a little more to even out the stage.. And it has this for sub to. So is this just a Boost level ? db ? As in quick settings there is a level to even out sub to the rest of the system...
Seem weird they have two settings for sub level.
well first off you did this wrong as the sub really shouldn't be connected. the sub has a reactive load which will make your ac volt reading inaccurate. some subs that hover close to your calc impedance at 50hz can get away with it. others don't.

what amp and subwoofer are you using?

Last edited by racebum; 07-16-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Avic-7200 vs. Alpine INE-W960