Audio/Electronics Stereo System Installation Info, Amplifiers, Subwoofers, Radar Detectors, Police Scanners, and CB Radios for the Corvette

Front Camera Installation in my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 01:11 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Default Front Camera Installation in my car

I have a 2003 C5 Z06 in which I have installed a Kenwood DNX691HD with a Pyle PLCM24iR backup camera. It's been in for a couple of years now and it works great. I've considered putting in a front camera for a long time so I could prevent hitting things in front of my car since it is very low. I purchased a Pyle PLCM38FRV camera which I am in the process of installing. I have mounted the camera and have partially run the wires. So now I'm at the point where I need assistance. I need to know how to hookup the wiring. I assume the video cable goes to the unused RCA socket in the back of the radio? How do I connect the power cable? Once I have the wiring completed, how do I access the camera while parking? Hoping to complete this right away so I'm hoping someone can provide the info I need.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:00 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Dennis, since I see you are online today, do you have any advice on my front camera installation. I bought my DD conversion from you, it's been great.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:49 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

There should be a video input (or some have a separate front and rear camera) RCA jack on the back of the radio somewhere. You just need to hook it up to that and then go to that source when you want the front camera on. The only thing you need to decide is where or what to connect into for power to the camera.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:54 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Is there anybody else that's installed a front camera that can give me some advice? Once I run the wires I'll be ready to hook it up.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:44 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
Is there anybody else that's installed a front camera that can give me some advice? Once I run the wires I'll be ready to hook it up.
Did you ever complete the install? I am interested in doing the same.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Some time has gone by so I'm assuming you got it all connected??

I too am getting ready to do a complete DMX 7704S upgrade with front and rear cameras.
1. Power to the front camera, much like the rear camera, I'm going to power my front camera with the fog lights power source. So, when the front camera is needed, much like the rear back-up lights it will light up the path of travel. You really don't need the camera on 24/7. Also, if your going to record your subject will be well lighted. Just my thinking.

2. Google your system and watch some You Tubes on your model, you can learn a lot about switching front to rear if not duel screen in camera settings.

Cheers
Old 06-21-2017, 01:44 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the 9903 and completed my front camera install the other day. I used the
Top Tier Pro Top Tier Pro
camera flush mounted on the license plate cover. That way if I didn't like it I could swap out the cover... I ran all the wires back to the interior, including power and ground. Could have connected power and ground in the engine compartment somewhere, but brought them back to where my other connections for the HU were made for consistency.

As for access, my HU has a button for camera marked CAM on the face. I had to make a configuration change in the HU to tell the unit to use the front and not the rear when pushing the button. I would suspect that your HU would be similar.

Let us know how the install went...
Old 06-28-2017, 01:56 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

I mounted my camera under the front bumper to one of the screws where the radiator shroud attaches to the back edge of the bumper. I ran the wires into the interior by making a hole next to the main harness and using a grommet. Everything is ready to make it work except there is no second camera input for the front camera. My particular Kenwood has one camera input and a video AV output. It's a DNX691HD. According to Dennis I need to use a switching device to plug both cameras into and then be able to manually switch from front to rear. The only ones I see on e-bay or Amazon do more functions than I want. Apparently they switch to front and rear automatically when starting the car then switch to front when shifting out of reverse. I just need a simple way to turn it on when I want to. I haven't been able to find what I want. Any ideas?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:04 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by striper
I mounted my camera under the front bumper to one of the screws where the radiator shroud attaches to the back edge of the bumper. I ran the wires into the interior by making a hole next to the main harness and using a grommet. Everything is ready to make it work except there is no second camera input for the front camera. My particular Kenwood has one camera input and a video AV output. It's a DNX691HD. According to Dennis I need to use a switching device to plug both cameras into and then be able to manually switch from front to rear. The only ones I see on e-bay or Amazon do more functions than I want. Apparently they switch to front and rear automatically when starting the car then switch to front when shifting out of reverse. I just need a simple way to turn it on when I want to. I haven't been able to find what I want. Any ideas?
Nothing comes to mind. I am sure that it exists, but there seems to be a certain elegance in what you have described. I've seen some units like that. Seems perfect to not have to mount a switch somewhere...
Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

OK, I'm not the smartest person, proceed with caution.

I but a simple Y-Jack (one male end with two female ends), plug your cameras into them.

Next, wire your rear camera to your reverse lights, that way it will turn on and off as you go in and out of reverse. Next, wire your front camera to a power source you can control, like the front fog lights. Then you can turn the camera on to the front when needed.

The caution is don't have both on at the same time. I'm assuming your installing the light for parking assist, so you don't hit curbs or parking blocks.

Logic says it will work, but only testing will tell.
Cheers.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 PM
unlvrebel
Pro

Originally Posted by Boxcar
OK, I'm not the smartest person, proceed with caution.

I but a simple Y-Jack (one male end with two female ends), plug your cameras into them.

Next, wire your rear camera to your reverse lights, that way it will turn on and off as you go in and out of reverse. Next, wire your front camera to a power source you can control, like the front fog lights. Then you can turn the camera on to the front when needed.

The caution is don't have both on at the same time. I'm assuming your installing the light for parking assist, so you don't hit curbs or parking blocks.

Logic says it will work, but only testing will tell.
Cheers.

Hmmm.. The challenge might be fooling the HU. On my HU (Kenwood DDX9903), when you tell the HU that you want the reverse camera controlled when the car is put into reverse, you lose the ability to see through the camera at any other time. Following the same logic, even if he wires the front camera to a power wire/switch, when the camera button is pressed there won't be a picture as the HU won't be getting the "reverse" signal...

His HU could be different. Also, instead of relying Reverse to turn on the rear camera, one could switch them both and manually press the camera button on the HU...
Old 07-27-2017, 12:41 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

To anyone following my dilemna I have still not resolved my issue of activating the front camera. I found a switching device for this purpose on e-bay that was very inexpensive, $15 and free shipping. Two strange points about this, when you start the car it supposedly turns on the front camera for seven seconds and then it goes out, then you can use the switch provided to turn on the front camera as needed. Also the free shipping does not say when you will eventually receive the item. I figured it wasn't very expensive so I ordered it. I only recently received it but I haven't had a chance to install it yet to find out if I like it. It actually did come from China but so did the instructions, so some translating will be in order to figure out how to wire it. I will reply again once I see if it works. If not I'll be installing front curb feelers.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 PM
tnvette7
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

QUOTE=striper;1595230031]To anyone following my dilemna I have still not resolved my issue of activating the front camera.

Try these two threads.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nt-camera.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...o-2014-c7.html

Get notified of new replies

To Front Camera Installation in my car

Quick Reply: Front Camera Installation in my car